• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

Dendarii

International Debutant
Poor Theunis.... that selection is a pure 'we don't want to drop a fast bowler' cope out.
Philander does have a higher batting average than De Bruyn...

I agree that it is a bit of a cop out, but Olivier was the man of the series against Pakistan, so it would be very harsh to leave him out. And the track record of the other three makes it very difficult not to pick them. But while it's probably OK to do this against Sri Lanka, Philander at 7 is not a long-term solution, so at some point they are going to have to make what admittedly is a very tough decision, but they can't keep going in with all four of those quicks and a spinner as it weakens the batting too much.

SeamUp

International Coach
Elgar isn't in his element right now.

I do feel that it is risky to go with 6 batsmen. If you get a few good balls and 3 for nothing you in trouble.

Amla needs some runs at his home venue for once. Who knows if he plays another test here.

SeamUp

International Coach
Amla remains 20 runs away from going past Graeme Smith as SAs 2nd leading run scorer in tests.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Good start from us. Making use of the conditions..fear for our batting those as with this team, one in the top 6 has to score big and currently, no one in our side is scoring...

SeamUp

International Coach
This should flatten out to a good batting strip if recent history is anything to go by. So for Sri Lanka to get 3 early poles with us going in with 6 batsmen could be massive.

SeamUp

International Coach
Lovely ball from Vishwa there..got the wicket it deserved
His ball v Elgar was just running in off the bowling angle and its what made him play.

Again the ball for Markram gives addage to saying getting the ball just to move enough is better than too much.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
His ball v Elgar was just running in off the bowling angle and its what made him play.

Again the ball for Markram gives addage to saying getting the ball just to move enough is better than too much.
Absolutely agree, that slight seam in from a left armer is ideal..

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Amla remains 20 runs away from going past Graeme Smith as SAs 2nd leading run scorer in tests.
I hope he gets it soon.... because after the WC I'm very quickly coming around to the idea that my favourite players needs to retire (get dropped). To much young talent available.

Heboric

International Debutant
What is it with Durban and the Proteas

Didnt we lose a test against Sri Lanka in Durban previously

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When the conditions are overcast, teams should reverse their batting order. It's only logical.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA batsmen look undercooked and unsettled for some reason... bit of movement but the pitch is not some green vipers nest.