• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How were amateurs and professionals different from each other in batting styles?

Kirkut

International Regular
Did the amateurs emphasize more on defense and well timed cricket shots? And the professionals on shots like hook/pull and slogs?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did the amateurs emphasize more on defense and well timed cricket shots? And the professionals on shots like hook/pull and slogs?
No, if anything it was the other way round - amateurs like Ranji, Duleep, Spooner and Fry were flair players of their time whereas the likes of Hayward, Shrewsbury and Abel were the pros who were only interested in making runs

Kirkut

International Regular
No, if anything it was the other way round - amateurs like Ranji, Duleep, Spooner and Fry were flair players of their time whereas the likes of Hayward, Shrewsbury and Abel were the pros who were only interested in making runs
Interesting. I read somewhere that the amateurs were more into off side stroke play and the professionals more into legside shots, basically elegant off side cricket shots were associated with amateurs and 'workmanlike' legside shots were played mostly by pros.

But your point makes more sense since amateurs were well off and played the game for fun probably not worrying about technique, whereas pros needed the money from the game.

fredfertang

Interesting. I read somewhere that the amateurs were more into off side stroke play and the professionals more into legside shots, basically elegant off side cricket shots were associated with amateurs and 'workmanlike' legside shots were played mostly by pros.

But your point makes more sense since amateurs were well off and played the game for fun probably not worrying about technique, whereas pros needed the money from the game.
There was a time when hitting the ball to leg was, whilst within the rules, considered to be 'bad form' - I think it was the Graces who put a stop to that and started hitting the ball around the wicket

andmark

International Captain
There was a time when hitting the ball to leg was, whilst within the rules, considered to be 'bad form' - I think it was the Graces who put a stop to that and started hitting the ball around the wicket
Yeah, I've heard that WG was a leg side hitter before it was cool and I guess it's possible his brothers who grew up with him would've learned the same methods. Am I right in thinking the reasoning behind it being considered "bad form" was because no one expected it?

Kirkut

International Regular
If Steve Smith was playing in the 1950s, I'm guessing he would be a quintessential pro. He pays no attention to batting aesthetics, but gets the job done always whether playing a rearguard innings or run a ball century, plus a very strong leg side batsman.

the big bambino

International Captain
There have many gentlemen batsmen who were considered elegant and with a proper technique. I think WG was an amateur and he is the man who laid the foundation for batting and bowling techniques.

fredfertang

Yeah, I've heard that WG was a leg side hitter before it was cool and I guess it's possible his brothers who grew up with him would've learned the same methods. Am I right in thinking the reasoning behind it being considered "bad form" was because no one expected it?
I think it was big brother EM who started playing the pull first - I don't think there was any particular reason beyond when the game started the wickets were so poor and the batsman had so little protection that you were putting yourself in danger if you shaped to play on the leg side so batsman tended not to do it

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A big difference was that in ypical English style, amateaurs were carried out to bat by professionals in sedan chairs

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
If Steve Smith was playing in the 1950s, I'm guessing he would be a quintessential pro. He pays no attention to batting aesthetics, but gets the job done always whether playing a rearguard innings or run a ball century, plus a very strong leg side batsman.
Nobody likes to bat ugly if they can help it. I used to fancy myself flicking to leg like a Mark Waugh-Azhar hybrid until a frontal video clipped my fanciful wings.