• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Williamson vs Root

Better Test Batsman

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howe_zat

Audio File
I voted for Root because I assumed you meant one-day bowler from the thread title.

Finding out you wanted to compare them specifically as Test batsmen really threw me.

Howe_zat

Audio File
In seriousness, I expect this thread is going to be chock full of people claiming that it's Williamson and that it's not close, which is of course ludicrous. You could barely fit a gnat's winkle between them.

The main fallacy at play when people underrate Root is this: once a weakness is identified (in this case, Root's conversion rate, which people only really see as important once it can be used to put someone down), it's easy to assume that that weakness is utterly debilitating. It's not.

Flem274*

123/5
which one of the fab 4 is the current one people want to boot out? it was kohli then kane, whose turn is it now?

im going to nominate smith because he cheated. go away smith nobody likes you.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Equally likable. Root upped the stakes by leaving out Broad and KW duly responded by leaving out Southee.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Both are elegant to watch, but Root just suffers one too many brain explosions for me. Hope he can sort this out. For me right now, it's KW.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's Williamson and it's not even close.

Root is overrated

Something something conversion rate

Bolo

State Captain
Conversion rate by itself doesn't mean much. He didn't convert much vs RSA for example. But he made valuable runs almost every time he batted and helped England to an outstanding run of results.

Kane converted really well vs RSA, which was really handy when he did it. But he failed a lot of the time and NZ did very badly vs RSA.

Roots consistency has been more valuable than Kanes ability to convert vs RSA. The opposite is probably true vs some other opponent, but roots consistency is definitely not a smoking gun against him.

Anyway, root hasn't been so consistent recently and hasn't been making enough runs. They have had very comparable careers to date, but kane has been getting better and root worse, so you have to back kane going forward.

J_C

U19 Captain
Against non-minnows, Root averages 51.28, KW averages 47.41.

Against Top 6 opposition, Root averages 50.08, KW averages 41.97.

In away/neutral games against non-minnows, Root averages 46.38, KW averages 41.73 (Against Top 6 sides it's 43+ for Root vs 39+ for KW).

Root has a peak rating of 917. KW has a peak rating of 893.

Not sure why KW is so far ahead in this poll :unsure: