• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Front Foot No-Balls

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The least you could do is post a video of said technology in action and put in some simple thought into explaining how you would set it up for a cricket game
Why would I do that though? Hardly seems worth the time and effort

cnerd123

likes this
Why would I do that though? Hardly seems worth the time and effort
Yea okay so basically man can get to the moon but why haven't they figured out automated front foot no-ball tech. Valuable input to the discussion. We've all learnt so much from that.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The fact that we don’t have front foot no ball detecting technology is just further evidence that we never really went to no moon

Burgey

Yea okay so basically man can get to the moon but why haven't they figured out automated front foot no-ball tech. Valuable input to the discussion. We've all learnt so much from that.
We've learnt more from that than we did the OP, which just listed points made on here a thousand times before, but added numbering in an attempt to be a bit novel about it.

cnerd123

likes this
We've learnt more from that than we did the OP, which just listed points made on here a thousand times before, but added numbering in an attempt to be a bit novel about it.
just wanted to save everyone some time, and numbers make everything better

I do love how the internet is littered with videos demonstrating all this fancy tech to replicate bowling actions and track ball movement and measure how much you run during a cricket game, but somehow this front foot no-ball tech is easy as pie yet doesn't exist. So easy to do but no one ever anywhere in the world has been able to actually do it. It's as though you think we're the first people to ever come up with this idea. We're all engineering geniuses sitting here on CW talking about how easy this must be and how it 'absolutely exists' and has 'existed for a long time', it's just the world hasn't woken up to the possibility. No one has realized that it's possible and that's why no one has done it.

I guarantee you people around the world have tried and failed to make this happen. If it were so easy and doable then it would already have been done. If you're going to be so confident that this tech is a breeze, then go on and show us how it works.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Serious answer is that the 3rd umpire should call it. He doesn't have anything else to do. He's got a camera pointing right at the crease and a screen to view it on. If it's a no ball, then press a button and the words "NO BALL" appear on the big screen. What's there to even argue about. The on field umpire gets to focus better on LBW. Win-win.

cnerd123

likes this
Serious answer is that the 3rd umpire should call it. He doesn't have anything else to do. He's got a camera pointing right at the crease and a screen to view it on. If it's a no ball, then press a button and the words "NO BALL" appear on the big screen. What's there to even argue about. The on field umpire gets to focus better on LBW. Win-win.
You mean TV Umpire - 3rd umpire doesn't have access to the TV feed.

There is a lag between his television feed and what happens in real time. Even getting raw camera footage presents a lag.

Might also be a case of the broadcasters not being willing to share their feed on demand to the umpire? They do share replays when requested, and the umpire can watch the live telecast, but giving them a dedicated feed from the cameras pointing at the creases is a whole other thing. Could simply be a case of negotiating a contract to allow this to happen.

I don't know if there are other issues with this - I'll probably try to ask around and find out how busy a TV umpire actually is during a game and whether or this is actually feasible, and if it is, why hasn't it been done yet.

TheJediBrah

just wanted to save everyone some time, and numbers make everything better

I do love how the internet is littered with videos demonstrating all this fancy tech to replicate bowling actions and track ball movement and measure how much you run during a cricket game, but somehow this front foot no-ball tech is easy as pie yet doesn't exist. So easy to do but no one ever anywhere in the world has been able to actually do it. It's as though you think we're the first people to ever come up with this idea. We're all engineering geniuses sitting here on CW talking about how easy this must be and how it 'absolutely exists' and has 'existed for a long time', it's just the world hasn't woken up to the possibility. No one has realized that it's possible and that's why no one has done it.

I guarantee you people around the world have tried and failed to make this happen. If it were so easy and doable then it would already have been done. If you're going to be so confident that this tech is a breeze, then go on and show us how it works.
I don't think so tbh. I think no one's really gone ahead and decided to invest the time in it because it's not worth it without ICC willing to bankroll it.

cnerd123

likes this
I don't think so tbh. I think no one's really gone ahead and decided to invest the time in it because it's not worth it without ICC willing to bankroll it.
I didn't realise you had inside knowledge on what the ICC does or doesn't bankroll.

Besides that, it's irrelevant if the ICC bankrolls it. The ICC didn't bankroll the development of Snicko, Hawkeye, Zing stumps or Stump Mics. They didn't develop DLS. They didn't fund the development of the new helmet design that is mandatory. They didn't fund the development of the technology that was used to determine if bowlers chuck or not. They didn't develop the bat or the ball, and they didn't invent the camera. It's irrelevant if the ICC sponsors the development of this tech or not. If it's do-able, someone will do it, and the ICC will adopt it.

Burgey

Why don’t you have a chat to your mates, the heavy hitters of the C Grade Hong Kong Synthetic Wicket Cricket Association, and let us know their insights into the thinking of world cricket administrators?

cnerd123

likes this
Why don’t you have a chat to your mates, the heavy hitters of the C Grade Hong Kong Synthetic Wicket Cricket Association, and let us know their insights into the thinking of world cricket administrators?
They're just as clueless as I am tbh

But really, going around saying 'they should just automate the front foot no ball call, the technology exists, the ICC just doesn't want to pay for it' is FB level commenting. It's dire and I expect better from CW.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I suspect that the problem with the technology is limiting it to the crease line for when the bowler is bowling the ball. (This would also be perfect for judging close run outs.) I think that the technology used at the olympics for the long/triple jumps is probably some sort of pressure plate you touch. Difficult to put that into a pitch. Probably some sort of 'laser' technology that could be switched on and off but you could not be sending that across a field and setting that technology up just at the wicket would be difficult. The components to do something are there in all likelihood, it is probably the will and cost to actually engineer it.

I think that the umpires should be calling big no-balls, anything where the foot is close to touching the line is difficult. Particularly with the law that the foot can still be in the air. I think that the TV/3rd umpire should be helping the on field umpires by speaking to them when they start consistently missing no balls even close ones; this way the umpire can speak to the bowler and also decide whether to rather than give the bowler benefit of doubt start calling the close ones. The bowler would probably get back behind the line then.

I wonder if it would just be easier to say that the foot should be behind the line (then things like the pressure plate could work!)

Victor Ian

International Coach
Then there is the issue that the problem is still there in all other grades of cricket. Umpires on the field have to be able to make the call. If they can't then the law needs an adjustment.

TheJediBrah

I didn't realise you had inside knowledge on what the ICC does or doesn't bankroll.

Besides that, it's irrelevant if the ICC bankrolls it. The ICC didn't bankroll the development of Snicko, Hawkeye, Zing stumps or Stump Mics. They didn't develop DLS. They didn't fund the development of the new helmet design that is mandatory. They didn't fund the development of the technology that was used to determine if bowlers chuck or not. They didn't develop the bat or the ball, and they didn't invent the camera. It's irrelevant if the ICC sponsors the development of this tech or not. If it's do-able, someone will do it, and the ICC will adopt it.
Yeah, no, that's not how it works. Snicko, Hawkeye, Zing bails, stump mikes etc. were all financed by someone (probably the TV stations or cricket boards? I dunno). It doesn't matter if it's ICC or not. They had appeal and value beyond relying on ICC rules to be profitable.

This doesn't. Who is going to put enough money and effort into this no-ball thing if there's no guarantee that it will be adopted by the governing body?

I think that the technology used at the olympics for the long/triple jumps is probably some sort of pressure plate you touch. Difficult to put that into a pitch.
Yeah this is what I've been thinking the whole time, and tbh why my preference would be for the TV umpire to just do it. The technology would be great but you don't need it to have a much improved system.

Last edited: