• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Botham wants Hussain out

PY

International Coach
Can't help but think he'll be the one to go in place of Pieterson when that time comes.

He played well in the Caribbean though and we need some grit in the middle order and he most definitely provides it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Botham can shut up, then.

Has he already forgotten the West Indies series when his experience (along with Thorpe and Butcher, to a greater and lesser extent respectively) were immense?

Until Bell/Gidman/Troughton/Wagh/Cook/Jefferson/Lumb/Newman properly make their case then Nasser's not going anywhere for me.

PY

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Has he already forgotten the West Indies series when his experience (along with Thorpe and Butcher, to a greater and lesser extent respectively) were immense?
To be fair to the bloke, you would go loopy if all you ate was shredded wheat. :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
PY said:
To be fair to the bloke, you would go loopy if all you ate was shredded wheat. :p
He speaks sense in the same article, wanting Read back in for Jones.

I expect Hussain to go at the end of the summer, having crossed 100.

There's Collingwood and Strauss in line too - the cupboard's not that bare :)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't implying that it was totally bare, more along the lines of that there probably isn't enough to justifiably dump one of your most experienced test batsmen when he's actually doing ok.

PY

International Coach
I'd much prefer to see Strauss replace anyone in the middle order. To me, he looked the business in the few ODI that were actually played.

I'm not that keen on Collingwood at the moment. Not sure why. He just seem to be a Test batsman who could score double centuries and suchlike.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tim said:
I wasn't implying that it was totally bare, more along the lines of that there probably isn't enough to justifiably dump one of your most experienced test batsmen when he's actually doing ok.
Agreed

twctopcat

International Regular
It will all be sunshine and roses when Mr Pietersen comes good, then i'm afraid nas will have to go. I'd also put Strauss above Collingwood on what i've seen of both of them.

Craig

World Traveller
It's no surprise really to see Botham making these comments, considering when England lost the Ashes last time around in Perth, he was calling for Alec Stewart, Andy Caddick and Nassur Hussain to be shown the door.

Hussain did make the right decision IMO to bowl first in Brisbane because of there was assistence for the bowlers, but his bowlers let him down and some poor fielding didnt help.

masterblaster

International Captain
Why is everybody so sure that Pieterson will be the 'superstar' of this English batting lineup?

Sure he is talented, but so was Graeme Hick and last time I checked his test record wasn't anything special.

I want Pieterson to have a chance at Test and ODI cricket and that he can be evaluated after a year or two at top level cricket.

But for now, I rather Nasser play for England.

Nasser was the one who turned England's woes around ever since he took over the captaincy.

It seems that people have awfully short term memories now a days.

tooextracool

International Coach
masterblaster said:
Why is everybody so sure that Pieterson will be the 'superstar' of this English batting lineup?

Sure he is talented, but so was Graeme Hick and last time I checked his test record wasn't anything special..
could very well be, but we wont know until we find out. the only openings in that lineup are trescothick and hussain's and with the selectors continuing to show faith with tresco until his next ashes failure, hussain will be the only test batting spot up for grabs in the near future.
i think botham is right though.....i would rather have someone settle in along with thorpe and butcher instead of bringing in a completely new middle order after the next ashes series. secondly i think if we shut the door for too long, strauss and collingwood aint getting any younger and i just get the feeling that those 2 are somewhere near hitting their primes and if we dont pick them soon we might just miss out on a lot.

masterblaster said:
Nasser was the one who turned England's woes around ever since he took over the captaincy.

It seems that people have awfully short term memories now a days..
err hussain isnt the captain anymore and his batting figures as captain are nothing phenomenal either.

twctopcat

International Regular
masterblaster said:

Sure he is talented, but so was Graeme Hick and last time I checked his test record wasn't anything special.
You just get the feeling that Pietersen is a winner, there's that streak of competitiveness about him, something that wasn't there with people like Ramps and Hick, which is why they never consistently cut it at test level. He stood out in SL on the a tour and he doesn't get fazed. Bring him on.