• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural World Test Championship

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the leading team were playing at home and only needed to draw, of course they would produce a 16 lane freeway of a pitch, anyone who has watched a few Sheffield Shield finals over the years could tell you that
Make the final timeless. Bring back the eight-day test.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I will say though that the ground is neutral rather than one team's home ground. So that helps a little bit.
If the leading team were playing at home and only needed to draw, of course they would produce a 16 lane freeway of a pitch, anyone who has watched a few Sheffield Shield finals over the years could tell you that

Would have to be a neutral ground
neutral ground wouldn't solve the issue of having a farcical match where one team only has to draw to win. Bat first, no need to score runs, no need to declare, meanwhile the other side has to make all the running and take all kinds of crazy risks.

You'd have to ensure a wicket is prepared that is not going to last 5 days, basically

Last edited:

vcs

neutral ground wouldn't solve the issue of having a farcical match where one team only has to draw to win. Bat first, no need to score runs, no need to declare, meanwhile the other side has to make all the running and take all kinds of crazy risks.

You'd have to ensure a wicket is prepared that is not going to last 5 days, basically
Yeah this is one problem I can't really see a way around unless they make it a best of 3 final. Could ruin the whole thing.

vcs

Bump

So this is kicking off this August with the Ashes, India tour of WI and Sri Lanka's tour of NZ.

Pretty cool that it's actually happening. Kind of snuck up on us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–21_ICC_World_Test_Championship
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23526411/all-need-know-2019-21-world-test-championship
From that Wikipedia link:

Therefore, depending on whether the series is 2, 3, 4 or 5 matches long, the number of points awarded for a single match win will be a half, a third, a quarter, or a fifth of the maximum possible from the series. The ICC also decided that a tie should be worth half of a win and that a draw should be worth a third of a win.[8] This all means that after each match, a side could be awarded a half, a third, a quarter, a fifth, a sixth, an eighth, a ninth, a tenth, a twelfth or a fifteenth of the total points available from the series, depending on the result and how many matches the series happens to consist of. Ultimately, this means a figure for the total points available from the series needs to be picked very carefully, as not many numbers give all integers when split into all these different fractions (360 does). Being a highly composite number, when 120 is split into all these fractions, an integer is obtained in all cases except one.

Each series will therefore carry a maximum of 120 points with points distributed as follows.
Good stuff.

vcs

NZ's schedule looks really good, they've managed to avoid England and SA, and they've got India and Pakistan at home (subcontinent teams) and WI who they usually thrash. Should be making the final TBH.

Flem274*

123/5
NZ's schedule looks really good, they've managed to avoid England and SA, and they've got India and Pakistan at home (subcontinent teams) and WI who they usually thrash. Should be making the final TBH.
lol, its because those teams dont want to play us. south african broadcasters in particular always whine and try to sell the tours to sky nz at ridiculous prices.

trundler

The best part of this will be fans going back to whining about why the can't find decent top order batsmen as LO fever wears off.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I wonder how the championship will pan out. Dollars speak. Australia and England will play each other. So tough draw there. They likely both want India, so another tough one. Do they shun South Africa seeking perhaps the West Indies. Will this mean the stronger of the undesirables is in a good spot to make finals.
In short I can see the test league having the most inequitable draws of any sport played. Will that cause an early demise of the concept?

cnerd123

likes this
I wonder how the championship will pan out. Dollars speak. Australia and England will play each other. So tough draw there. They likely both want India, so another tough one. Do they shun South Africa seeking perhaps the West Indies. Will this mean the stronger of the undesirables is in a good spot to make finals.
In short I can see the test league having the most inequitable draws of any sport played. Will that cause an early demise of the concept?
Fixtures have already been announced and teams can arrange tours that fall outside of the WTC

Jezroy

State Captain
Be quite funny to be playing the final against England at Lords. Where have we heard that before?

Australia away we historically tend to **** the bed ( I reckon if Smith and Warner were still suspended we'd be feeling a lot more confident), even though we've got a 2 test series vs England in NZ to lead up to it

And Bangladesh and Sri Lanka away, really depends what kind of pitches get rolled out. I kind of feel like both of those could end up 1 all.

TheJediBrah

I think this is going to be a big talking point of the Test championship, because completing it without completing a home/away cycle is always going to favour some teams over others (though you'd expect it to balance out for the next cycle).

Burgey

Be quite funny to be playing the final against England at Lords. Where have we heard that before?

Australia away we historically tend to **** the bed ( I reckon if Smith and Warner were still suspended we'd be feeling a lot more confident), even though we've got a 2 test series vs England in NZ to lead up to it

And Bangladesh and Sri Lanka away, really depends what kind of pitches get rolled out. I kind of feel like both of those could end up 1 all.
If Smith and Warner we’re still suspended I reckon you’d start short priced favourites

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
With world test championship, will we see a bunch of ****-posting about only world championship final tests counting? Will be pretty dire if a decade or two later younger generation assumed all past bilateral test series were JAMTests.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
"The Indian Premier League will prevent any matches from being played in the months of April and May."