• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever all round ODI performance

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This may sound odd, but I think Aravinda de Silva played McGrath best among all the batsmen. Aravinda faced a lot of balls from McGrath in 96 WC.
96 was a bit early in his career, though. He bowled superbly in the tournament and the ball to get Lara was the best of the competition.

Aravinda was pretty awesome in that WC and a pioneer of sorts in modern-day aggressive LOI batting.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar also took him apart in Mumbai on a pitch where every other Indian batsman was struggling to lay bat on ball. That 90 was an absolute gun innings, one of his best ODI knocks for me.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Aravinda de Silva in 1996 WC Final. 109* and 3/44 against Australia.
Magnificent performance. I supported SL all tournament, and thought that they were a real chance after their Aussie tour prior of winning the thing.

That game was celebrated more widely than in just SL. A magnificent result for cricket, treasure it.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar also took him apart in Mumbai on a pitch where every other Indian batsman was struggling to lay bat on ball. That 90 was an absolute gun innings, one of his best ODI knocks for me.
This is not only in Lahore. I have watched almost all matches both McGrath and Aravinda were playing. Never recall McGrath troubling him at all. In fact out of faster bowlers it was Pollock, Kallis, Doull, Razzaq, Prasad and Streak were the ones who troubled him most. Certainly not the case with Tendulkar because McGrath troubled him on occasions. If my memory serves right, Aravinda was never dismissed by McGrath.

Victor Ian

International Coach
As good as Aravinda's game was in that final, it should be tempered with the fact that it resulted in Australia being so dirty that they then went and beat up the three World Cup winning Asian teams in a row and gave their fans bigger heads then any of you will ever have the pleasure of knowing.

Borges

International Regular
As good as Aravinda's game was in that final, it should be tempered with the fact that it resulted in ....
How does what happened or did not happen some time later in any way diminish Aravinda's performance in the final of the World Cup?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Gary Gilmours 6/14 and top-score of 28* in the semi-final of WC 1975 vs England deserves a mention (maybe more)

1st SF, Prudential World Cup at Leeds, Jun 18 1975 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo
It's a very good call indeed.
28* doesn't look much, but Aus were 39 for 6 chasing 94 when Gilmour came out to bat. As it you, say it was also the highest score in the match.
The other factor was that Gilmour's batting partner was Doug Walters, who famously struggled over here when the ball was moving a bit, especially when it was moving as much as it was in that match. Gilmour out-scored his way more senior batting partner it a situation where, ordinarily, you'd expect him to stay put and let the other guy knock off the runs.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't even know Srikkanth could bowl. Turns out that's only the second best figures by a seventh bowler.

Interestingly enough five seventh bowlers have taken ODI five-fors while no-one has done it in tests. I'm guessing a combination of ODI bowling orders being a bit more experimental and the greater ease with which part timers can pick up wickets.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
You guys suck. I've actually seen old school ODIs with Srikkanth bowling. The man would have been an IPL star if he was in the modern era. Underrated ODI cricketer

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
In 1980/81 Greg Chappell took 5/15 off 9.5 overs to have India bowled out for 63 (still the lowest ODI score in Oz iirc). Then was unbeaten on 33 to see Australia win with 29 overs to spare.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Against the ill-fated World XI in 2005, Shane Watson scored 66 at a run a ball unbeaten and then took 4/39.
I remember how hollow that supertest victory was after we lost the Ashes that year. We haven't won an Ashes in England since 2001. It's so crazy and still upsetting.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Mohinder Amarnath put in back-to-back MOM performances in 1983 WC semi-finals and finals.

Semi-Final vs England : 46 runs (higher scores were 51, 61) and 2/27 ( others 2/43, 3/35)
Final vs W.Indies : 26 runs (higher scores were 27, 33, 38) and 3/12 (others 3/31, 3/3

May seem meager, but unlikely to be emulated anytime soon and contextually more significant than the myriad of many ODI matches.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
In 1980/81 Greg Chappell took 5/15 off 9.5 overs to have India bowled out for 63 (still the lowest ODI score in Oz iirc). Then was unbeaten on 33 to see Australia win with 29 overs to spare.
Not really on topic but that reminds me of Chappell's other 5-for in an ODI - at Birmingham 1977 in conditions evidently made for swing bowling, he took 5-20 and Gary Cosier took 5-18, while Thomson, Malone and Walker between them took 0-102 (evidently Thomson bowled poorly while the other two were unlucky). England's recovered from 90-7 to 171 and bowled out Aus for 70 (Chappell top scoring with 19).

In the next match, he took 1-0 and scored 125* for a consolation win in heavy rain at 8:15 pm.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Flintoff's performance vs Bangladesh in 2003/04 captured all Series records, batting and bowling :

- Most runs, Best Average, Best SR, Most 50's, Most NO, Most 4's, Most 6's, Top 3 HS

- Most wickets, Best Average, Best Econ, Best SR, Most maidens, Best Bowling Innings

Some of these were by a wide margin over the next best