• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guardian Article on Alastair Cook

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...co-pilot-keaton-jennings-pakistan-second-test

Right, I’m not saying I necessarily agree with this, but I have voiced concerns about Cook before and been (perhaps rightfully) shouted down. But it’s not jus this, my gut (always a scientific method of analysis) has forever told me that Cook’s utlility to the team is significantly less than his statistics tell us. And don’t get me wrong, in a era of famine for great English openers (a demoralised bunch of borderline troubled individuals, virtually by definition)- 150+ caps and 13,000 runs is a biblical-scale achievement.

I just can’t help but feel this is a Billy Beane moment, and even within the context of English cricket’s … mixed ... achievements, Cook’s utility is less than his numbers, and perhaps even talent, suggest.

It’s not just cricket this phenomena presents itself in – Manchester United finally won the Champions League 2 years after Cantona retired, they started winning the Premiership for fun when Bryan Robson declined and left. Liverpool won the Champions League 10 months after selling Michael Owen. Glenn Hoddle knew Scholes was more useful to the team than Gascoigne I don’t believe events like this happen by accident and nor at they as anomalous as people think.
Skill and aggregate output across time doesn't always correspond directly with Utility.

Back to Cook – I have a problem when and where his runs come from. Daddy hundreds in favourable conditions prop up prolonged spells where he bats like a scarecrow holding a toothpick. He’s capable of scoring 300, followed shortly by 57 scores of under 20 (I exaggerate somewhat) I have neither the time nor the ability truth be told to unpick in great detail the circumstances of his successes and failures (beyond mere high-level statistics). But I suspect there’s more to it than meets the eye. I’ve predicted with horrible success the series’ he’d go missing at exactly the wrong time, and with grim consistency! Cricket is a hellishly complex game and there are important intangibles that the stats (or commentards) don’t come close to touching.

... and the peaks, of which are huge (it still wouldn’t surprise me if he broke Lara’s or Gooch’s Innings or match records in the future) come at a time where I thought others could have filled that same role, albeit perhaps with less aplomb. (think our wonderful 2010-2011). Raiding the sweet cupboard when Mum and Dad are out.

I can’t put my finger on it and I’ll likely get murdered for this, but I think Cook will be fortunate to be remembered as an England elite in hindsight, in all but a statistical domain.

Anyways, I await the knives ...

(edit: typos, etc)

Last edited:

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
Oh yeah, agree with you. His last 2 hundreds, one set up a win against Windies but Windies are awful so imo that doesn't count so much. 100 coming when England already lost the Ashes, Starc is injured who was leading wicket taker at the time in the series, flattest pitch ever.

No doubt Cook has been a great, long serving player. However, his stats really do flatter him. He has been blessed with a long career, there have been so many better players who if they had played the amount he had then they'd destroy his stats.

He's had loads of ups in his career for sure, his ups have been incredible. He has just had a lot of downs too, his downs being horrific/abysmal.

He is surviving in England side at the moment for his legacy, nothing more. Which is a huge problem. Stokes, Bairstow, Root, Anderson, Broad and Cook have all been great players at some points but they think they're untouchable.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Surely he's surviving in the England side now because the highest average of any other England opener since Strauss retired (excluding Root) is 32?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I can't get out my mind the big series' he's gone AWOL. There's instability in his technique where the middle doesn't hold. His baseline is survival in most conditions or domination via percentages game in optimal conditions.

This may be heresy for an Englishman but I like the Warner type openers who look to score and consistently knock bowlers off their stride. Their baseline is more beneficial to a team because even 40 quickly scored runs gives imputus. Centuries are of course important but truly massive centuries incur dimishing returns, as in those conditions others score centuries too. If you're racking 650/7 and one player scored 200 ... so what? Without him the team would no doubt still make 600 all out. Past 150 is often a vanity exercise in all but pretty extreme circumstances. Your team will often get a result by that point.

It's a shame Trescothick faded so soon. I'd love to have seen what he could have done in 100+ caps.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I can't get out my mind the big series' he's gone AWOL. There's instability in his technique where the middle doesn't hold. His baseline is survival in most conditions or domination via percentages game in optimal conditions.

This may be heresy for an Englishman but I like the Warner type openers who look to score and consistently knock bowlers off their stride. Their baseline is more beneficial to a team because even 40 quickly scored runs gives imputus. Centuries are of course important but truly massive centuries incur dimishing returns, as in those conditions others score centuries too. If you're racking 650/7 and one player scored 200 ... so what? Without him the team would no doubt still make 600 all out. Past 150 is often a vanity exercise in all but pretty extreme circumstances. Your team will often get a result by that point.

It's a shame Trescothick faded so soon. I'd love to have seen what he could have done in 100+ caps.
Not as much as Cook has achieved, I'd wager.