• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bert Oldfield, Don Tallon or Wally Grout? Who was the better complete package?

Best complete package?

• Oldfield

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Tallon

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Grout

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
3 of Australia's most revered wicket keepers before Marsh, Healy and Gilchrist came about.

All were known as fine glovemen, and all were known as useful if not amazing batsmen. Oldfield and Grout being gritty fighters while Tallon was more of a strokemaker.

Who was the best combined keeper-bat?

JBMAC

State Captain
I was fortunate to watch Tallon and Grout (Grizz) and have the Grizz as my mentor/coach. Tallon was the far superior Stumper and quicker on his feet. He was one of the first keepers to stand up to the fast bowlers whereas today it is commonplace. The only footage I have seen of Oldfield shows him to be competent behind the sticks. As for batting from what I recall the Grizz was far in advance of Tallon BUT Stumpers during their playing periods did not have to be superior batsmen with the likes of Bradman etc batting before them. Other keepers of note , in my humble opinion were Engineer, Godfrey Evans and John MacLean.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was one of the first keepers to stand up to the fast bowlers whereas today it is commonplace.
I can't claim to have seen either play outside of old footage but I'm not sure about this one, at least at test/FC level. Interesting, to say the least.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I know he had the fortune of playing with both Grimmett and O’Reilly, but Oldfield’s ratio of stumpings to dismissals is ridiculous.