• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Cricketers of the Century

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
I have watched and followed Sri Lankan Cricket from the Duleep Mendis/Roy Dias days and based on that I can safely say that Sri Lankan batting team of 80s with Duleep Mendis, Roshan Mahanama, Gurusinghe, Ranatunga, Desilva, Dias was much better than the present lot of Attapattu, Jayasuriya, Jaywardne and Dilshan etc.
Duleep mendis...village green batsman who got lucky.....please, dont insult the likes of Atapattu,Jayasuriya,Jayawardene,sangakarra, they are all class batsmen.

De Silva only got good later on.

Interesting fact: Sri Lanka 1985-1990 in tests averaged 26.9 runs per wicket when batting
Sri Lanka 1999-2004 in tests averaged 34.4 runs per wicket when batting

Anyway..this is well off topic....how can you basically say Warne didnt deserve his success in Sri lanka coz Sri Lanka have a bad batting team

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
this is regarding Dev:

Out of the top 50 test wicket takers of all time,i think 37 of them have been pace bowlers...out of those 37 i have been lucky enough to watch live 28 of them...I struggle to find one single bowler of those 28 that was as average a fast bowler as Dev was
Whatever, He still ended up taking 400 wickets before the great Australian, British, West Indian, Pakistani and South African Fast bowlers. He did inspire a generation in India to take up fast bowling and all of us have seen the result. Before Kapil hardly anyone tried to bowl fast.

Despite being so Ordinary, he was the leading wicket taker for almost a decade tells a lot about his ability. Btw here is something for you to chew on, Can you tell us how many fast bowlers have taken 25 or moer wickets in Australia since Kapil's last series in Aus ??

Swervy

International Captain
chicane said:
His 434 victims were'nt morons waiting to get out. He was an above average bowler and a decent bat.
well above average for me doesnt cut it when surrounded by the likes of marshall,McGrath,Ambrose etc.

Chicane, Lesson one for you on pre-1990's cricket..dont always take as gospel what the averages say.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Whatever, He still ended up taking 400 wickets before the great Australian, British, West Indian, Pakistani and South African Fast bowlers. He did inspire a generation in India to take up fast bowling and all of us have seen the result. Before Kapil hardly anyone tried to bowl fast.

Despite being so Ordinary, he was the leading wicket taker for almost a decade tells a lot about his ability. Btw here is something for you to chew on, Can you tell us how many fast bowlers have taken 25 or moer wickets in Australia since Kapil's last series in Aus ??
well someone had to take the wickets, that Indian bowling line up was pretty shot at wasnt it

Love this one; 'He did inspire a generation in India to take up fast bowling and all of us have seen the result.'....yes we have :D

Swervy

International Captain
PY said:
Bit condescending there mate.

Bit of Bradford air wafted over your way? :laugh:
well as i typed it i thought it may sound a bit patronising...and i thought i would not post it..then i thought 'bugger it'....makes for a more spicy discussion :D

chicane

State Captain
Swervy said:
well above average for me doesnt cut it when surrounded by the likes of marshall,McGrath,Ambrose etc.
Precisely why they say if Kapil was in the current era he would've been hailed as the best allrounder in the world.
Swervy said:
Chicane, Lesson one for you on pre-1990's cricket..dont always take as gospel what the averages say.
I heard of Kapil Dev's heroics from my grandpa, who was and still is an avid cricket fan. And 434 wickets is proof enough of his ability, just as 99.94 was of Bradman's.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Swervy said:
well someone had to take the wickets, that Indian bowling line up was pretty shot at wasnt it

Love this one; 'He did inspire a generation in India to take up fast bowling and all of us have seen the result.'....yes we have :D
1) He is the only India fast bowler to take over 100 wickets at under 30, and he took over 400. Don't forget that Indian pitches are not conducive to pace so his record is commendable. Might not have been the best bowler ever but probably up with Darren Gough, Heath Streak etc who were very good.

2) India have plenty of potential in the fast bowling department...Pathan, Khan, Balaji, Agarkar all have ability. Where are all those amazing leg-spinning wizards you mentioned that were inspired by Warne? There aren't any, MacGill had already started and there have been no others whatsoever. So the evidence suggests Kapil has has a greater effect on Indian pace bowlers than Warne has had on Australian spinners.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
1) He is the only India fast bowler to take over 100 wickets at under 30, and he took over 400. Don't forget that Indian pitches are not conducive to pace so his record is commendable. Might not have been the best bowler ever but probably up with Darren Gough, Heath Streak etc who were very good.

2) India have plenty of potential in the fast bowling department...Pathan, Khan, Balaji, Agarkar all have ability. Where are all those amazing leg-spinning wizards you mentioned that were inspired by Warne? There aren't any, MacGill had already started and there have been no others whatsoever. So the evidence suggests Kapil has has a greater effect on Indian pace bowlers than Warne has had on Australian spinners.
1) Fair comment

2) Unfortunately misses the point that Dev's generation was 10 years before Warne's at least so we'll need another 10 years to see the results. The ECB Elite Wrist Spin Programme is looking promising.

chicane

State Captain
There has never been so much competition among quicks in India. There are some uncapped guys who are looking good too.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
My take on it is that Warne is pretty much the 'poster child' for the 'new' / 'advance the game' strategy of the Australians and in general, cricket of the late 1990s and 2000s... he's symbolic of it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:

Once again you are being insulting. If you can't debate without insulting other country's players then please let me know. My past records suggest that my posts can be equally insulting.

Now coming to the point, Yes Kapil did inspire a generation in India to take up fast bowling. Javagal Srinath, Venkatesh Prasad, Raju Kulkarni, Abay kuruvilla, Atul Wasan, Prashant Vaidya, Vivek Razdan, Salil Ankola, Debashish Mohanti and many others l came up after he was successfull. They were pretty good and some failed because of injuries some because of fickle selection process at their time.

If going by your criteria of someone had to take wickets, why didn't any one took even 250 wickets before Kapil ?

Swervy

International Captain
a massive zebra said:

yes he was a good bowler...but 434 wickets doesnt really tell the true story...look how many tests he played...certainly not one of the great bowlers by a long shot..and if he had been playing today, i dare say he would have been cannon fodder on these pitches.(well maybe that is going a bit too far...but you know what i mean).

I would take a guess that the current crop of Indian pacers are most influenced by the likes of Akram or Waqar..not Dev...and I would say Srinath was probably a better pacer than Dev anyway

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
The effect that Richards had on cricket, in WI and around the world was amazing...dont think gavaskar had the same effect.
Yes Richards had an enourmous impact on cricket.

He was simply an intimidating batsman and the way he played cricket in such an attacking & brutal way would hardly be forgoten amoungst a lot of people.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
And Warne actually performed better when Australia were less successful! Pre-99.
Which coincidentally is the only period that has relevance in this thread.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
No, it can't be said about SRT. He has played better in The Ganguly era. His ODI avg is up by almost 10 runs per innings and Test avg is up by 4 runs per innings.
Which is after the scope of this thread, so shows why he's not on there.

Swervy

International Captain
Sanz said:
Once again you are being insulting. If you can't debate without insulting other country's players then please let me know. My past records suggest that my posts can be equally insulting.

Now coming to the point, Yes Kapil did inspire a generation in India to take up fast bowling. Javagal Srinath, Venkatesh Prasad, Raju Kulkarni, Abay kuruvilla, Atul Wasan, Prashant Vaidya, Vivek Razdan, Salil Ankola, Debashish Mohanti and many others l came up after he was successfull. They were pretty good and some failed because of injuries some because of fickle selection process at their time.

If going by your criteria of someone had to take wickets, why didn't any one took even 250 wickets before Kapil ?
so i guess its an insult when someone doesnt actually agree with what you are saying..if i was so sensitive, i would take my bat and ball home when anyone says Warne is over-rated.

And if you really feel the need to insult...insult away, I am a big boy, I am sure I can take it, and if I cant, I am sure my mummy will stick up for me :D

After that first line, I am afraid you actually stopped making much sense to me