• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time India XI game

srbhkshk

International Captain
Even though I also voted for Nissar, I was a little surprised by pretty much unanimous voting for Nissar over Amar, having taken a brief look at their first class carriers (since the test careers are not even 10 matches long), remarkably they both played about the exact same number of matches (Nissar's 93 to Amar's 92 - compensated by one extra test played by Amar), even though Amar died at the age of 29.

Nissar averages 17.7 at an economy of 2.79, he bowled about 15K deliveries in those 93 matches and took 32 5ers and 3 10fers.
Amar averages 18.3 at an economy of 2.35 and bowled more than 23.5K deliveries which is 50% more than Nissar in the same number of matches without any significant difference in average while being far more economical. He had 42 5ers and 14 10fers, significantly more than Nissar, ending up with 506 wickets compared to Nissar's 396.

In addition, Amar is a far better batsman, he has 5 centuries and 18 half centuries in first class (to go with a 50 in tests) - dude was practically an all rounder, while Nissar is a proper #11 with a highest score of 49. Hutton and Hammond both seemed to rate Amar higher than Nissar (not in a comparson sort of way, but in that they seemed to have paid far more glorious tributes to Amar.)

In light of all this, I am changing my vote from Nissar to Amar for the second pace bowler. Request others to reconsider too in case you like me had gone for Nissar just in flow.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even though I also voted for Nissar, I was a little surprised by pretty much unanimous voting for Nissar over Amar, having taken a brief look at their first class carriers (since the test careers are not even 10 matches long), remarkably they both played about the exact same number of matches (Nissar's 93 to Amar's 92 - compensated by one extra test played by Amar), even though Amar died at the age of 29.

Nissar averages 17.7 at an economy of 2.79, he bowled about 15K deliveries in those 93 matches and took 32 5ers and 3 10fers.
Amar averages 18.3 at an economy of 2.35 and bowled more than 23.5K deliveries which is 50% more than Nissar in the same number of matches without any significant difference in average while being far more economical. He had 42 5ers and 14 10fers, significantly more than Nissar, ending up with 506 wickets compared to Nissar's 396.

In addition, Amar is a far better batsman, he has 5 centuries and 18 half centuries in first class (to go with a 50 in tests) - dude was practically an all rounder, while Nissar is a proper #11 with a highest score of 49. Hutton and Hammond both seemed to rate Amar higher than Nissar (not in a comparson sort of way, but in that they seemed to have paid far more glorious tributes to Amar.)

In light of all this, I am changing my vote from Nissar to Amar for the second pace bowler. Request others to reconsider to in case you like me had gone for Nissar just in flow.
Have a look at Nissar's record against the 35/36 Australians - OK they weren't a Test side, but were a pretty decent outfit and as far as the Indians were considered it was as close as they could get

srbhkshk

International Captain
Have a look at Nissar's record against the 35/36 Australians - OK they weren't a Test side, but were a pretty decent outfit and as far as the Indians were considered it was as close as they could get
I can't find the scorecards, but it doesn't look like Amar played in those matches? Anyway, some of the players in the aussie side seems to be 50 or so years old, not sure how representative is that.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Searching a bit more, it does look like he played the first and fourth game. In the first innings first game - Nissar took 6 to his 2, while Amar took the only wicket in the second innings. In the fourth one they both shared 5 wickets each in the first innings, before Nissar again took 6 to 2 for Amar in the second. So ti does seem like Nissar was better in that particular series, but Amar also did pretty well and seemed to be very slightly more economical.

Further edit - Amar also scored a 33 and a 45 in these seemingly very low scoring matches, further bolstering his all round credentials.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't find the scorecards, but it doesn't look like Amar played in those matches? Anyway, some of the players in the aussie side seems to be 50 or so years old, not sure how representative is that.
Amar played in two them, and to be fair he did very well against the Tennyson XI a couple of years later that embarked on a similar tour - ultimately I think they were both exceptional bowlers and much underrated, but in my view the best comparison is in the four Tests they both played in England where Nissar comes out on top - Jardine's side in 33/34 did play Tests, but they weren't a particular strong side with only DRJ himself and Verity who had been on the Bodyline tour the previous year

srbhkshk

International Captain
Amar played in two them, and to be fair he did very well against the Tennyson XI a couple of years later that embarked on a similar tour - ultimately I think they were both exceptional bowlers and much underrated, but in my view the best comparison is in the four Tests they both played in England where Nissar comes out on top - Jardine's side in 33/34 did play Tests, but they weren't a particular strong side with only DRJ himself and Verity who had been on the Bodyline tour the previous year
How old are you man? :P

Anyway, I think I will take your word on Nissar being the better bowler - although there doesn't seem to be a great deal in it from statistics. Still think Amar's batting should swing it his way?

In the matches they both played - Nissar is 25 wickets @ 28 (3.5 economy) - Amar is 20 @ 35 (2.5 economy). Although it leaves out Amar's best international performance ever.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
An economy of over 5 for a guy who played in the late 90s and early 2000s is pretty terrible.
Has the 7th best ODI bowling Strike Rate out of all bowlers to have taken 200 ODI wickets tho

If we reduce it to 100 ODI wickets he's 24th, behind esteemed names such as Ishant Sharma and Umesh Yadav...