• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best South African to play test cricket for England ?

Spark

Global Moderator
Imagine paying the slightest bit of attention to KP's behaviour and commentary this past summer and think that Strauss was anything but completely accurate in his hot mic character assessment of him.

akilana

International 12th Man
Yeah KP was fine and everyone else were dicks. WTF? Those same players don't seem to be having any issues now he's gone mate.

The only thing I thought was "universally accepted" was that after KP's recent forays into the comms box we all can see him for the massive dick that he is and it is little wonder no one would want that in their change room given the choice.

South Africa dodged a bullet where he is concerned and I doubt there are many that really wish he stayed with them.
Those everyones were angels?

KP and those players need to take blame for their falling out. It is stupid to suggest that he would have had problem playing alongside kallis, ab, amla etc because he had problems with whiny ****s like anderson and broad.

His friends - boucher, kallis, ab, steyn - wish he stayed back.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There is a decent possibility of "absence makes the heart grow fonder" thing doing its work there.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

KP and those players need to take blame for their falling out. It is stupid to suggest that he would have had problem playing alongside kallis, ab, amla etc because he had problems with whiny ****s like anderson and broad.

A little bit of blame needs to be placed on everyone involved. KP is not a bad guy, some people just don't like him. Anyone thinking it's completely KP's fault and that the well-documented ****s in the English dressing room who took particular offence at his existence are innocent little angels is fooling themselves immensely.

I'd take KP over Anderson, Prior and co. every day of the week. KP was egotistical and annoyed people, those guys* were flat out ****s who treated some of their own teammates like ****. At least KP always seems to be relatively respectful and polite, even if a bit self obsessed.

(*if various reports are to be believed)

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the All Time England selection exercise, KP made Eng B, Greig Eng D and Trott Eng E XIs.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

He already had attitude problems in SA... hence him leaving for Eng in the first place. I do think though he would have been reigned in a bit more with a cpt like Smith and players of equal and better calibre around him in the SA team, part of his problem is he was England's best batsmen and that fed his ego substantially.

harsh.ag

He already had attitude problems in SA... hence him leaving for Eng in the first place. I do think though he would have been reigned in a bit more with a cpt like Smith and players of equal and better calibre around him in the SA team, part of his problem is he was England's best batsmen and that fed his ego substantially.
Also a reason he became such a good batsman. His batting fed on his ego. Can't separate the whole package imo.

Burgey

I have no doubt Swann, Prior, Broad, Anderson and to some extent Strauss are **** knuckles of the highest order. Strauss in particular should take responsibility as skipper for letting is shed get so divided.

But having said that, Pietersen did sell his side out to the opposition. About as low as it gets.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Pietersen being anything but a gigantic wanker is a prosperous suggestion as his nauseating commentary demonstrates. Imagine sharing a pavilion with that? Not that I like Strauss much either (mostly for buggering up English cricket in his capacity as an administrator).

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
A little bit of blame needs to be placed on everyone involved. KP is not a bad guy, some people just don't like him. Anyone thinking it's completely KP's fault and that the well-documented ****s in the English dressing room who took particular offence at his existence are innocent little angels is fooling themselves immensely.

I'd take KP over Anderson, Prior and co. every day of the week. KP was egotistical and annoyed people, those guys* were flat out ****s who treated some of their own teammates like ****. At least KP always seems to be relatively respectful and polite, even if a bit self obsessed.

(*if various reports are to be believed)
Yeah right......that last sentence is the only thing you got right there Brah.

FFS, did you not hear the **** this Ashes summer? Let me recap. He was the on field analyst at the GABBA on the first morning......was it about the upcoming series? No he spent the whole segment telling the audience that he would love to be playing but they wont let him. All about KP.

When he did get in the comms box, the guest commentator then decided to thoroughly **** can the host city for the test "I'm just joking folks.....but seriously the best place in Brisbane is the departure lounge" It got worse from there.......The bloke was a ****ing prat throughout the Australian summer, dead set the worst that's ever set foot in a Ch 9 commentary box. And if you think I'm saying this because I've got an axe to grind then see Sparks comment above.Or alternatively check out the commentary winge thread.......you know it's bad when no one is talking about Ian Healy or Michael Slater.

Honestly I thought we'd all woken up to KP now......

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Jason Gallian. Notts Ledge. Dealt with KP's prick attitude well.

Saying that, sharing a dressing room with Strauss, Prior, Swann, Broad, Anderson must have been difficult for KP.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I have no doubt Swann, Prior, Broad, Anderson and to some extent Strauss are **** knuckles of the highest order. Strauss in particular should take responsibility as skipper for letting is shed get so divided.

But having said that, Pietersen did sell his side out to the opposition. About as low as it gets.
Broad, Anderson and Strauss still work together.......doesn't seem to be a problem anymore?

And yeah, let's lay the blame at Strauss's feet..........after a team member texted the opposition tips on how to get him out and ultimately he had to give away his job because of the ****. **** off.

The ECB can take some blame for their handling of the situation.........but FMD, I wont hear a word against KP's team mates, amazing that none of them killed him tbh.

TheJediBrah

Yeah right......that last sentence is the only thing you got right there Brah.

FFS, did you not hear the **** this Ashes summer? Let me recap. He was the on field analyst at the GABBA on the first morning......was it about the upcoming series? No he spent the whole segment telling the audience that he would love to be playing but they wont let him. All about KP.

When he did get in the comms box, the guest commentator then decided to thoroughly **** can the host city for the test "I'm just joking folks.....but seriously the best place in Brisbane is the departure lounge" It got worse from there.......The bloke was a ****ing prat throughout the Australian summer, dead set the worst that's ever set foot in a Ch 9 commentary box. And if you think I'm saying this because I've got an axe to grind then see Sparks comment above.Or alternatively check out the commentary winge thread.......you know it's bad when no one is talking about Ian Healy or Michael Slater.

Honestly I thought we'd all woken up to KP now......
Nothing you said contradicts anything I did. You (and a lot of other people) don't like the guy. That's fine. He has a massive ego. There's no argument to be had here.

But as I said, personally I'd take KP over Broad, Swann, Anderson, Prior every day of the week. KP had issues, but those guys all just seem like unadulterated ****s. That's just me though (and a lot of other people too it seems tbf).

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
Swann imo was as big a **** as KP imo. The only reason he wasn't in KPs position was because he was the one who was leading the "bowlers clique/inner circle".

SeamUp

International Coach
KP's comms work can be irritating but felt Swann was far worse and more irritating in BBL

Starfighter

Or alternatively check out the commentary winge thread.......you know it's bad when no one is talking about Ian Healy or Michael Slater.
Twas a bloody strange feeling when there was a commentary change and hearing Slat's voice brought a sense of relief (cause it wasn't KP).

Nothing you said contradicts anything I did. You (and a lot of other people) don't like the guy. That's fine. He has a massive ego. There's no argument to be had here.

But as I said, personally I'd take KP over Broad, Swann, Anderson, Prior every day of the week. KP had issues, but those guys all just seem like unadulterated ****s. That's just me though (and a lot of other people too it seems tbf).
I dunno, Pietersen's always come across as big a **** as the four others to me. Maybe not on the field, but overall.

KP's comms work can be irritating but felt Swann was far worse and more irritating in BBL
Nah. Swann usually took up only his share of speaking or a little more. Pietersen created four people's worth of noise.

morgieb

Twas a bloody strange feeling when there was a commentary change and hearing Slat's voice brought a sense of relief (cause it wasn't KP).
Haha, I don't think Slater's anywhere near as bad as what he was 3-4 years ago. Kinda boring and does get over-excited over stuff that isn't really important but is nowhere near as grating as KP, Warne, Healy or even Clarke these days.

TheJediBrah

I dunno, Pietersen's always come across as big a **** as the four others to me. Maybe not on the field, but overall.
It's a different kind of ****iness. Just being up yourself and egotistical isn't as bad IMO than actually being the kind of **** that treats other people terribly.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Greig for mine. Those figures are among the best all round efforts in the game.

This thread could morph into greatest ever SA English XI
I initially thought it would be worth a go if we include people who came to England when they were young boys.
Then it got tricky at numbers 2 & 5 and finding any bowlers apart from Tom Curran. Although I've probably forgotten some obvious candidates.

1. Strauss
2. Maybe C. Smith
3. Trott
4. KP
5. R. Smith / D'Oliveira / Lamb
6. T. Greig
7. Prior
8. I. Greig
9. Curran
10. & 11. - No idea

EDIT
I don't think there have been any other England bowlers that were born in SA.
If it helps, Pringle, Edmonds and Radford were born in Kenya or Zambia respectively.

Last edited: