• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best South African to play test cricket for England ?

SeamUp

International Coach
It isn't a bad collection isn't it ?

There have been a few others but there are a clear 6 that stood out.

The one's included are the one's who spent the majority of the initial part of their lives in SA. So guys like Prior and Strauss are less like the guys below.

The answer may seem easy but is it that easy ?

BASIL D'OLIVEIRA

5/15
1966-72

TONY GREIG
8/20
141 wickets
6 5w hauls
8-86
1972-77

ALLAN LAMB
14/18
1982-92

ROBIN SMITH

9/28
1988-96

KEVIN PIETERSEN
23/35
2005-14

JONATHAN TROTT
9/19
2009-15

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Question reminds me of a bit of crowd sledging from the Proteas supporters during a D'Oliveira Trophy: on a placard, ''our South Africans are better than your South Africans''!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pietersen. Bloke was a genius bat. Then Greig. A quality, underrated all rounder in a tough era.

the big bambino

International Captain
Greig for mine. Those figures are among the best all round efforts in the game.

This thread could morph into greatest ever SA English XI

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KP the best imo but Greig meant so much more to cricket. Larger than life both on and off the field.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Greig ahead of KP, but Robin Smith was great to watch as a kid - hit the ball so hard.

Before Grant Elliot came along Allan Lamb was the only South African to play in a World Cup final.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Greigy by a distance, and a splendid symmetry in the fact that Greigy was also, by a similar distance, the worst

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is physically impossible for me to select Pietersen. I can not do it. Too much the wanker. Greig it is.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
KP marginally ahead of TG, but the latter does tend to get underrated.
And the former overated. KP was a player of great innings but not a great player IMO.

Havent checked but I doubt he won many POS awards. You think of his most iconic series and there was a better performing England player than him in it. Off the top of my head 2005 Ashes Flintoff, 2010/11 Ashes Cook, India 2012 Cook.

That said even though I despise him so much (possibly clouding my judgment) he was capable of innings that very few players in history were.

Tony Greig by a country mile.