• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dominating series perfomace against tough bowling attacks

Chrish

International Debutant
What are the instances where batsman absolutely stood up against top-class bowlers throughout the series? Some of the recent ones from memory:

Smith against India - 2017

Dravid in England - 2011

Lara against Australia - 1999

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Vaughan against Australia 2002-03
Tendulkar against South Africa 2010-11

OverratedSanity

Amarnath in the Windies against the quartet in 1983

Hutton 1950/51 Ashes vs Lindwall/Miller/Johnston/Johnson/Iverson

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lara against Australia is one of the best for so many reasons

Lara was out of form, people didnt want him as captain, Windies had lost the last home series against Aus, and he scores 3 tons in 3 vastly contrasting styles. A gritty double century, one of the greatest unbeaten 150s ever, then a very quick and exciting ton for the hell of it

J_C

U19 Captain
Azhar Mahmood vs SA 1997/98.
Jimmy Adams vs India 1994 :@.
Laxman vs Australia 2001.
Viswanath vs WI 1974/75.

vcs

Chanderpaul had some monster series against good attacks. England in 2007 comes to mind.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Whilst he wasn’t dominating, Allan Lamb’s three centuries against the 1984 West Indians was a monumental achievement.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Martin Crowe v Windies at home in 86/87 season.

v Marshall, Garner, Holding, Walsh.

Holding got injured part way through tour and replaced in test XI by Tony Gray for later tests.

Walsh was just a young pup then.

Tony Gray was good, amazing his career didn't take off.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Mohinder Amarnath (2 hundreds and 4 fifties) against Holding/Marshall/Garner/Roberts in 1982-3.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Agree Lara v Oz in 1999 probably the standout, just a remarkable performance in all aspects against a great attack.

Also, Border in the West Indies 1983/84.

KP against Australia in 05
He had a fine start and an excellent final innings, but he was dismissed under 50 six consecutive times in that series so hardly dominant overall.

Daemon

AB vs India. Had no business averaging 36 against Ashwin/Jadeja on the most insane pitches we've seen in decades.

Spark

Global Moderator
Warner against SA a few years back counts as "dominating", although obvious that was in a winning side with plenty of support.

Slifer

International Captain
Michael Vaughan against Australia 2002-03
Tendulkar against South Africa 2010-11
With all due respect, Tendulkar did well but aside from Dale Steyn I wouldn't call this particular bowling attack tough. At least not on paper. Admittedly i didn't see the series so maybe I am mistaken.

OverratedSanity

Hutton 1950/51 Ashes vs Lindwall/Miller/Johnston/Johnson/Iverson
On this, Hutton's scores for the series were:

1st test: 8* and 62*(out of a team total of 122 after he came in at 30/6)
2nd test: 12 and 40
3rd test: 62 and 9
4th test: 156 (out of a team total of only 272) and 45
5th test: 79 and 60* to give England their only win of the series

Overall: 533 runs @ 88 runs when no one else from either side averaged>43. Miller, Lindwall, Johnston and Iverson all averaged <23 with the ball.

I can't think of many other series performances where one batsman from the clearly weaker team was head and shoulders above all other batsmen from both teams with the literally all of the opposition bowlers having great series.

Spark

Global Moderator
With all due respect, Tendulkar did well but aside from Dale Steyn I wouldn't call this particular bowling attack tough. At least not on paper. Admittedly i didn't see the series so maybe I am mistaken.
"Aside from Dale Steyn" is a qualifier the size of a small planet, given the way Steyn was bowling at the time

OverratedSanity

Morkel bowled really well that summer. And it was the very peak of Steyn's career. He was unplayable to everyone not named Tendulkar or Clarke at the time.
But it also had Paul Harris and Tsotsobe, so I wouldn't call the attack all time great or anything, but definitely very tough.

Last edited: