• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Under 19 World Cup 2018

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sort of hoping for a 1 or 2 match injury to Papps or Woodcock later this season to give him a sight taste.

Stoked that he is performing in this tournament.
Ravindra did fail in his knocks in the pre-season Firebirds trials that are in the video vault, but with school being a non-factor for the first time, he should really start playing the Ford Trophy straight after this, regardless of any injuries.

Jeets was prepared to step aside for Peter Younghusband to play Ford Trophy games. It'd be slightly silly if they said 'nah Woody's still the heart and soul of our dressing room, Rachin's skill-set means he has to wait longer'.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Ravindra did fail in his knocks in the pre-season Firebirds trials that are in the video vault, but with school being a non-factor for the first time, he should really start playing the Ford Trophy straight after this, regardless of any injuries.

Jeets was prepared to step aside for Peter Younghusband to play Ford Trophy games. It'd be slightly silly if they said 'nah Woody's still the heart and soul of our dressing room, Rachin's skill-set means he has to wait longer'.
I was thinking first class ... it's Marshall currently opening in Ford Trophy, he can definitely stand down.

Immenso

Not sure, but is a used wicket, at Bay Oval, against South Africa, also Sullivan a 125-130kph bounce bowler. A coach could go heavy on the left-arm spin without Sullivan being injured.
Until the first game v Windies, I thought this was going to be the plan (opening with Lockrose).

Then I assumed not after Sullivan was picked.

Lockrose just hadn't been getting wickets opening the bowling (in the warmups and other games). And they all already have stacks of spin options in the first XI, including 2 other SLAs who are among the first names down.

Sullivan and Fisher look the only 2 proper out and out seam/pace bowling options in the squad. Surprised if they would go into a game playing only one of them. It's not Dhaka.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah they could well reintroduce Sullivan at Hagley Oval against Afghanistan. It's pretty fast for a South Island pitch.

Although maybe it's when you ask the Afghanistan top 6 to put pace onto the ball that they start to slog out and get agricultural, seeing it was Harry Tector who found their weakness today.

Howsie

International Captain
Ravindra on for player of the tournament here, big runs and wickets. Would be good to see him get some game time this summer, looks a mighty fine all round player. About time Wellington......

Matt Fisher has impressed me with his pace so far too, I didn’t think he’d be up over 140k. It’s not the best looking action and he’s already had injury problems but that kind of lift and pace is something to look out for.

nzfan

Mate he played one preseason game. Not knocks just one. Can happen to anyone. I wouldn't suggest Ravindra to stick with firebirds. He needs to look outside of Wellington. I was overseas for holidays and noticed now the likes of Matt Taylor, Steve Murdoch etc are out of the team again. Edgar had been singing praises of Conway. If the likes of Taylor, Murdoch, Fraser are not getting enough games what are the chances they'll play Ravindra consistently. Sure he's a gun player and can do some amazing things but his career will catapult if he plays for any other region other than Wellington. Besides despite all of the signings, selections we are back nearly at the bottom of the table in the super smash. Firebirds won't learn and will be queuing up to sign up discards from other regions next season. Time for our lads to realize that. If ravindra plays couple of games and good forbid it doesn't go his way he'll be binned. Our guys have no idea of recognizing and nurturing talents. I'd do everything to get him to Canterbury. He'll do great there.

nzfan

How about Finn Allen? He sure can bat and bat against spin amazingly well. Just saw some clips of his batting and he's the best among the younger lot taking on spin. Way to go. We're generally getting better at playing spin I feel.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Breetzke has not had a good tournament so far. They would have looked for him and Van Tonder to deliver the big runs. Hermann Rolfes has had a great tournament so far with bat and bowl and he's looking to be in great nick. Thando Ntini has been a hit expensive. Bowling a bit too short for my liking. With Coetzee coming back for the quarter final I'm hoping that they'll find a spot for Fraser Jones.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
If ravindra plays couple of games and good forbid it doesn't go his way he'll be binned.
What's your basis for this?

Ravindra hasn't exactly been going to school just to see his friends and eat his lunch. He's looking towards following his dad into software engineering or law, iirc. The fact he hasn't been fast-tracked into playing for Wellington as a schoolboy doesn't seem like a particularly cynical or conspiratorial thing to me.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
How about Finn Allen? He sure can bat and bat against spin amazingly well. Just saw some clips of his batting and he's the best among the younger lot taking on spin. Way to go. We're generally getting better at playing spin I feel.
Yeah his striking was very clean, looking forward to seeing more of him in the QFs.

Thought Wellington was supposed to be better these days - Otago has seemingly become the new basket-case of muddled culture and selection.

nzfan

What's your basis for this?

Ravindra hasn't exactly been going to school just to see his friends and eat his lunch. He's looking towards following his dad into software engineering or law, iirc. The fact he hasn't been fast-tracked into playing for Wellington as a schoolboy doesn't seem like a particularly cynical or conspiratorial thing to me.
Just the firebirds selection policies overs the years. I think Ravindra was good enough to play this year for Firebirds. If Lockrose can play still going to school or if Nathan Smith played two years ago still at school for Otago there was no any reason for Ravindra to have not played a single game so far. Good on the lad to continue studies, it's very important as we all know. Don't think its conspiracy but Firebirds have a bad history of managing young talents. They just don't have the acumen or foresight.This is not going to change overnight. Mark my words none of the young ones will get a good run here and they'll be compromised for short term gains.

nzfan

Breetzke has not had a good tournament so far. They would have looked for him and Van Tonder to deliver the big runs. Hermann Rolfes has had a great tournament so far with bat and bowl and he's looking to be in great nick. Thando Ntini has been a hit expensive. Bowling a bit too short for my liking. With Coetzee coming back for the quarter final I'm hoping that they'll find a spot for Fraser Jones.
Breetzke looks very good... must be just bad timing that he hasn't got runs yet. I think he's better than what the scores show. I watched a bit and thought this lad can play surely.