• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Steve Waugh a selfish cricketer? - yes according to Chappelli

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Cook was terrible in 2006-07, 2009, 2013, 2013-14 though, and only average in 2015. Outside 2010-11 when he was in his absolute prime he usually averages about 27 in Ashes series. He needs one more good Ashes in my opinion.

Broad has always been a good Ashes performer.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The difference between a good or very good team and a great one is a few Steve Waugh like cricketers tbh who basically say "we win, or the opposition go home either mentally broken or in a body bag"

How often do you hear fans of teams belted in Australia get high and mighty about how the Aussies are nasty, sledgers, cheats, breaking umpires to their will etc but the fact remains the touring side still got embarrassed? All the time.

Waughs a complete dick. Ponting was a dick. Clarke was a complete dick. Ian Chappell is the worst of the lot because I still have to listen to him. Smiths a little kid who throws his toys. That's fine. You go there, you suspend the usual spirit of cricket dribble and you send them home in body bags like the 80s West Indies did, because the 1980s West Indies were complete dicks.

After a few brain damages they'll whine about "the line, we play hard but we don't cross the line, the line!" but that's ok. If they don't have any fit players then it's harder for them to moan.
Yeah, that was I thought as well.. Waugh didn't come across as more of a **** than any of the other ****s that captained Australia. Same goes for his side in general. Maybe I wasn't paying attention closely enough.

Waugh does have a fair amount of good will in India though, with his charity work in Kolkata and being fondly remembered for captaining the Aussie side during that series..

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
By that token then Cook should be nailed in too. Taylor scored 839 @ 83.90 in 6 tests that series.........in 10/11 Cook scored 766 @ 127.66 in 5 tests. And that was England's first win in Aus for 24 years.
As Burgey said, Cook was included.

I'm sure Chappelli would say it's because he thought Taylor selfish too as skipper, for hanging on right before he hit his ton at Edgbaston in '97 despite going, what, 20 knocks without a ton or something?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am not really comfortable with all the "bodybag" stuff. I get the metaphor but it's still too soon after Hughes' passing.

I am a firm believer that you give everything you've got out in the middle. You don't walk, you don't back down, you don't give an inch. You play fair but you play hard. So long as it's within the laws of the game I'm fine with it. I've never understood why mankadding is seen as such a bad thing.

Kohli is a dick more because of his blatant press conference lies than anything else. Waugh was a hard cricketer who wanted to make life hard for the opposition and I liked that. What I don't like is personal attacks. It's fine to question a person's technique but not their parentage.

If you don't think the opposing captain is a dick it's probably because they're not very good. Look at Flintoff. He was a thoroughly decent bloke, even as captain. He was a terrible captain that got wiped 5-0. Vaughan was a dick though. He happened to beat us 2-1 and I still don't forgive those mint-sucking umpire-buying 2005 English cheats. A perfect English captain is a batsman who averages in the mid 30s, gets whitewashed and loses their captaincy after an Ashes series. Any English captain who wins a series is a cheat and a lowlife. Just look at Jardine, Vaughan and Strauss. Villains, the lot of them. At least Strauss had the decency to get a ball named after him.

stephen

Going back, some Ashes series have had a standout performer or two:

2015: Broad
2013/14: Johnson
2013: no one really
2010/11: Cook
2009: no one really
2006/07: no one really
2005: Warne/Flintoff
2002/03: Hayden, Ponting
2001: Warne

There were other great performers but these guys stick out in my mind.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Bell carried the England batting in 2013. Stuart Clark a shoe-in for 2006-07. I agree that 2009 is a difficult one, especially when you consider Hilfenhaus led the bowling at 27. Perhaps M Clarke is closest.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that Steve Waugh sure is a selfish ****. I'm so sick of all his charity work and the fact that he never publicly airs his dirty laundry.

This thread is ridiculous

CapeTown Guy

School Boy/Girl Captain
I am not really comfortable with all the "bodybag" stuff. I get the metaphor but it's still too soon after Hughes' passing.

I am a firm believer that you give everything you've got out in the middle. You don't walk, you don't back down, you don't give an inch. You play fair but you play hard. So long as it's within the laws of the game I'm fine with it. I've never understood why mankadding is seen as such a bad thing.

Kohli is a dick more because of his blatant press conference lies than anything else. Waugh was a hard cricketer who wanted to make life hard for the opposition and I liked that. What I don't like is personal attacks. It's fine to question a person's technique but not their parentage.

If you don't think the opposing captain is a dick it's probably because they're not very good. Look at Flintoff. He was a thoroughly decent bloke, even as captain. He was a terrible captain that got wiped 5-0. Vaughan was a dick though. He happened to beat us 2-1 and I still don't forgive those mint-sucking umpire-buying 2005 English cheats. A perfect English captain is a batsman who averages in the mid 30s, gets whitewashed and loses their captaincy after an Ashes series. Any English captain who wins a series is a cheat and a lowlife. Just look at Jardine, Vaughan and Strauss. Villains, the lot of them. At least Strauss had the decency to get a ball named after him.
WRONG: English captains normally lose their jobs after losing to South Africa.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I almost snapped when I saw stephen's post. 2013 was Bell's ONE THING
That and the 2002/03 omission of Michael Vaughan........anyone would think that stephen was your stereotypical one eyed, inward looking, self obsessed Aussie cricket fan from his post.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
"Well let me tell you something, Harsha. Australian cricket has produced really sh!tty ****s. Some real ugly ones. All the way from Bradman to Michael Clarke and I have seen them all. But if I were to rank them, I'd have to put myself right at the top. You really can't look past the Chappell name".

- Ian Chappell

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
"Well let me tell you something, Harsha. Australian cricket has produced really sh!tty ****s. Some real ugly ones. All the way from Bradman to Michael Clarke and I have seen them all. But if I were to rank them, I'd have to put myself right at the top. You really can't look past the Chappell name".

- Ian Chappell

"Did I ever tell you about when my dad took me to watch Keith Miller play, and he was such a great athlete that he hurdled the bat when it couldve skewered him. I had a meeting with Bradman but he wouldnt give us money. Les Favell".

burr

State Vice-Captain
Just for convenience, here's his top 25:
1. Dennis Lillee
2. Shane Warne
3. Greg Chappell
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Glenn McGrath
6. Jimmy Anderson
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Doug Walters
9. Dave Warner
10. Kevin Pietersen
11. Jeff Thomson
12. Steve Smith
13. Joe Root
14. Ian Botham
15. Ben Stokes
16. Rodney Marsh
17. Alan Knott
18. Ian Healy
19. Mark Waugh
20. David Gower
21. Graeme Swann
22. Michael Slater
23. Mitchell Johnson
24. Allan Border
25. Alastair Cook
What a stupid list. I'd have Michael Vaughan. He was 2005 captain and that series he played in 2002/03 in Aus (I think that was the series) - some of the best Ashes batting I can remember. Some of the best batting full stop.

stephen

Bell carried the England batting in 2013. Stuart Clark a shoe-in for 2006-07. I agree that 2009 is a difficult one, especially when you consider Hilfenhaus led the bowling at 27. Perhaps M Clarke is closest.
Yeah I had forgotten about Bell in that series. Though I watched a lot of it, the proximity to the 2013/14 Ashes series means I don't really remember a whole lot about it.

I really don't think anyone stupid out in 06/07. All 4 bowlers took 20+ wickets and all our top 7 (Martyn excepted) scored a ton. It was the most "team effort" series I've ever seen.

stephen

That and the 2002/03 omission of Michael Vaughan........anyone would think that stephen was your stereotypical one eyed, inward looking, self obsessed Aussie cricket fan from his post.
Would you believe me if I said that I barely payed attention to the 02/03 Ashes due to the inevitability of the result? Honestly after the Gabba real life took over and I only sporadically watched that series. Simon Jones injury pretty much ruined the competitiveness of that series.

Also, bowler feats tend to stick in my head more than batting ones.