Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The greatest fast bowler who ever drew breath?

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar

The greatest fast bowler who ever drew breath?

Trueman once self proclaimed it were ‘im, but who do you say it is? No voting, just discussion about why you think what you think.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    McGrath. Great average and economy on a batsman-dominant era and got the best players out, usually after saying he would.

Yeah McGrath bored me as a kid but in hindsight he was a wicket taking robot
    cricket rules brah

Geoff Boycott's grandmother.

State Vice-Captain
    Malcolm Marshall. No weaknesses, the complete fast bowler with nigh perfect record.

The most impressive thing about him? At his peak (83 - 88 roughly) he was taking average of 6 wickets a test in all countries in the world in an attack that boasted 2-3 other worldclass bowlers. Truly a class apart.
    Last edited by subshakerz; 18-10-2017 at 02:06 AM.
    _Ed_ and OverratedSanity like this.

International Coach
    Malcolm Marshall a tad above the rest. But if anyone said Trueman, Lillee, McGrath I wouldn’t argue (much). If anyone said Jimmy Anderson or Dale Steyn I wouldn’t argue either as I’d assume they’d not been well.

International Vice-Captain a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Malcolm Marshall a tad above the rest. But if anyone said Trueman, Lillee, McGrath I wouldn’t argue (much). If anyone said Jimmy Anderson or Dale Steyn I wouldn’t argue either as I’d assume they’d not been well.
    What exactly is your problem with Dale Steyn? Just cannot accept that a contemporary bowler could possibly bear comparison to the bowlers of your youth?

Steyn is objectively just so far ahead of all his contemporaries, with a strike rate that compares favourably with pretty much anyone ever in one of the most batting friendly eras, a great record in traditional fast bowling graveyards and a history of ripping through some of the best batting lineups in the world. Furthermore, when in full flow with the late swing at great pace he is one of the most exciting fast bowlers to watch that I have seen in the last 20 years. He certainly has a more complete record than Lillee, and Trueman struggled to maintan a regular place in the England side over the first half of his career.

For the record I agree Malcolm Marshall is a tad above the rest and I don't think Steyn is the best fast bowler ever, but he is certainly in the discussion and should be treated with a respect you have not shown here.

Those struggles for Trueman to nail a spot were down to attitude problems right

Either way I agree Steyn deserves to be in the discussion as much as I hate his face

International Coach
    23 minutes.
    Adders and Himannv like this.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    The attitude of the toffee nosed establishment.

Rules are rules

Master of the house, keeper of the zoo...
    Quote Originally Posted by a massive zebra View Post
    What exactly is your problem with Dale Steyn? Just cannot accept that a contemporary bowler could possibly bear comparison to the bowlers of your youth?

Steyn is objectively just so far ahead of all his contemporaries, with a strike rate that compares favourably with pretty much anyone ever in one of the most batting friendly eras, a great record in traditional fast bowling graveyards and a history of ripping through some of the best batting lineups in the world. Furthermore, when in full flow with the late swing at great pace he is one of the most exciting fast bowlers to watch that I have seen in the last 20 years. He certainly has a more complete record than Lillee, and Trueman struggled to maintan a regular place in the England side over the first half of his career.

For the record I agree Malcolm Marshall is a tad above the rest and I don't think Steyn is the best fast bowler ever, but he is certainly in the discussion and should be treated with a respect you have not shown here.
    Ditto Jimmy Anderson.
    You flew out to India
    When your country needed you
    Century on debut ,
    What a find.....

Na na na na na na na na na

Ali Ali Cook , Ali Cook , Ali Ali Cook

Na na na na na na na na na

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDpy9JPZH3E

International Vice-Captain The Battlers Prince's Avatar
    Stats aside I just knew when we had McGrath, we were unbeatable. The Aussie's lost a few with him playing but he had such a great technique and patience. Just brilliant.
    Having said that, if I'm being honest, the bowler I couldn't get enough of watching was Wasim Akram. Wasim could bowl in ways that nobody else has done in the time I've been watching.

Banned
    Trueman’s stats are pretty impressive, so he has a very good point.

T'greatest that ever was

......When he died in July 2006, aged 75, very quickly after a diagnosis of lung cancer, Wisden called him "probably the greatest fast bowler England has produced". His Test figures still dazzle: 307 wickets in 67 Tests at the miserly average of 21.57. He was the extremely proud founding member of the 300 Test wickets club, which he celebrated with a few pats on the back and an evening visit to the Black and White Minstrel Show at the Victoria Palace. Of the 26 bowlers who have since joined him, only Allan Donald, Malcolm Marshall, Waqar Younis and Dale Steyn have a better strike rate, only Curtly Ambrose and Marshall a lower average, and only eight players took 300 in fewer Tests. Had he not both misbehaved and been misunderstood the haul would surely have topped 400. For Yorkshire his wicket tally was an incredible 1745 and in 21 seasons of first-class cricket in England he took 100 wickets in a season 12 times.

No, not bad for a boy from a mining family, squeezed out during a snowstorm in the outside toilet close to the pit yard and, apocryphally at least, so big he had to sleep in a drawer pulled from the sideboard. The fourth of Dick and Ethel Trueman's seven children, Fred's upbringing was loving but poor, and very hard. Scotch Springs, where he was born, is now a wasteland. Maltby Main Colliery, where his father and brother both worked, finally shut last year.

T'greatest that ever was | The Cricket Monthly | ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by watson; 18-10-2017 at 03:12 AM.

International Vice-Captain a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post

Either way I agree Steyn deserves to be in the discussion as much as I hate his face
    And the fact that England had an incredible array of bowlers to choose from. Bedser, Stalham, Tyson, Laker, Lock, Wardle, Appleyard; plus a number of other pace bowlers that would have walked into the England side if born 10-20 years before or after.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information