Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: Four-day test cricket

Four-day test cricket

The traditions of our game don't seem too important now with all this T20s. I also wonder if international cricket will become like international football in time.

The ICC look likely to allow the SA vs ZIM & now this report :

Exclusive: Test matches in England could be cut from five to four days under ECB plans

Just feel wear and tare into a 5th day is one of the great challenges in test cricket eventhough so many aren't lasting. The one's that do.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 24-09-2017 at 01:59 AM.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Shai Hope will be one who will disagree, and I'm another

I really hope the ICC has more sense than to actually go through with this. They actually realised way back in 1949 that four day Tests don't work.

Argh, no! Really hope this doesn't go ahead.

I mean, as often as anything, I see a County Championship match that was a draw after four days and think "that actually could have been quite interesting if it had a fifth day".

Anyway, I don't know about you, but I always get the impression from the way some people from the ECB oo whatever go on about it that barely any tests go to the 5th day. But actually:

So, yeah, I'm not denying that it's a fair bit lower than a couple of decades ago, but 58.3% is still the majority of test matches.
    honestbharani and zorax like this.
    Follow me @cricket_gc, should you want to learn more of my cricketing thoughts and opinions, or read them in more detail on my blog: https://gccricket.wordpress.com

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    I think it's a decent idea but I also think England is basically the one market I wouldn't do it in

I'd also support cutting lunch to like 20 minutes
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...cricket-legacy

Brad McNamara ‏@bbuzzmc
    Will say this once and then nothing else. Defamation laws quite clear in Aus.be careful.

Having a match drawn after four days is just as disappointing as a two Test series drawn, 1-1.

All this will do is neuter the development of Test cricket outside of the top 6.

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    I have been convinced for a long while now that the ECB wishes to destroy first-class cricket so this is no surprise. Probably similar among the ICC hierarchy considering they are some of the same personnel (Giles Clarke) and all pee in the same pot.
    "It's (The 100) optimised short-form cricket
    Tom Harrison
    What we are doing here is future-proofing county cricket
    Tom Harrison.
    We want to make the game as simple as possible for them (mums and kids) to understand
    Andrew Strauss.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    I think t's a terrible idea. Imagine the effect of rainy day, it would almost certainly lead to a draw. There's a reason why matches under five days were abandoned. Also unless there is a dramatic overhaul in pitch preparation you can say goodbye to significant changes in the pitch during a match, although that never happens in Australia these days anyway.

An extra half hour is nowhere near enough, you'd get maybe an extra six or so overs in at the end of the day. At least 105 overs a day would be preferable. There's also a need for much stronger penalties for time wasting. This includes batsmen - you shouldn't need five minutes to mark your crease.

Even in recent matches there have been some great last days - du Plessis' 110* being a great case in point, and the last day in Cape Town in the return series as well.

If this is what it takes to keep test matches going, then so be it, but it'll probably suck regardless.

vcs
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend vcs's Avatar
    I don't know, I'll reserve my opinions till I see it happen.

Instinctively, as cricket fans, we are inclined to be conservative about such major changes, but with the higher average RRs, if pitches are prepared to last 4 days instead of 5, who knows, it might work. It shouldn't take away the "essence" of Test cricket, which is patience, and an even contest between bat and ball.

Pitch preparation is not an exact science, sometimes we see pitches that look great for batting upto the end of day 5, and sometimes it becomes a struggle by day 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Chix love a man with a checkered posting history.

Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    If they did this, you just know what everyone will say when a draw inevitably happens . . . "Why the **** can't we have a 5th day"

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    I think t's a terrible idea. Imagine the effect of rainy day, it would almost certainly lead to a draw. There's a reason why matches under five days were abandoned. Also unless there is a dramatic overhaul in pitch preparation you can say goodbye to significant changes in the pitch during a match, although that never happens in Australia these days anyway.

An extra half hour is nowhere near enough, you'd get maybe an extra six or so overs in at the end of the day. At least 105 overs a day would be preferable. There's also a need for much stronger penalties for time wasting. This includes batsmen - you shouldn't need five minutes to mark your crease.

Even in recent matches there have been some great last days - du Plessis' 110* being a great case in point, and the last day in Cape Town in the return series as well.

If this is what it takes to keep test matches going, then so be it, but it'll probably suck regardless.
    It doesn't really happen anywhere.
    honestbharani likes this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I just don't get the point. How is 4 day test cricket going to produce any 'renewed interest' in the test format? That's what their aim is but if anyone isn't interested in sitting down and watching 5 days of cricket, then they won't be interested in a 4 day game either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bijed View Post
    Argh, no! Really hope this doesn't go ahead.

I mean, as often as anything, I see a County Championship match that was a draw after four days and think "that actually could have been quite interesting if it had a fifth day".

Anyway, I don't know about you, but I always get the impression from the way some people from the ECB oo whatever go on about it that barely any tests go to the 5th day. But actually:

So, yeah, I'm not denying that it's a fair bit lower than a couple of decades ago, but 58.3% is still the majority of test matches.
    It's a graph which intentionally cuts off more than half the Y-axis to present a misleading image.
    S.Kennedy, honestbharani and zorax like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**t over your head and get a woolly bull to f**k some sense into you.

Yes this idea gets bandied about every now and then and it seems it is getting closer to actually being implemented in a Test soon. I agree with the comments so far, I love the traditional five-day game and certain things shouldn't be tampered with, it wouldn't feel right. I'm all for progressive change and the impact of T20 cricket can be seen in Test cricket in some aspects as a really positive thing, some of the innovative strokeplay, the standards of some of the fielding and new skills learnt by bowlers have all been enhanced with the advent of T20 cricket, but the Test cricket has also lost some crucial skills such as patience, batting techniques when the ball's doing a bit, etc, these are things that make the Tests so captivating and batting (and bowling) on a fifth day pitch adds to the drama and excitement.

Test cricket is literally a five-day Test like no other. It's not the format that needs to change just the mindset and skills of certain cricketers in order to play and succeed over five days.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    I just don't get the point. How is 4 day test cricket going to produce any 'renewed interest' in the test format? That's what their aim is but if anyone isn't interested in sitting down and watching 5 days of cricket, then they won't be interested in a 4 day game either.

It's a graph which intentionally cuts off more than half the Y-axis to present a misleading image.
    It's rather hard to think of the last time I saw a graph in the media that didn't do this. Or in quite a few scientific publications for that matter. It's partly a room thing as well.

And yes, fiddling with test cricket is not going to attract those who don't like it in the first place.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    The main reason given is that they can schedule more matches. So in another 25 years time, another genius , likely from the ECB, will come up with the masterstroke that is 3 day tests. T20 taking up more time out of the international calendar is a problem and all it does, even if the reason they mentioned were true (and it is not), they are simply fixing a symptom.
    S.Kennedy likes this.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information