• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Test Selection Thread 2017 - 2018

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think you can add Head, Stoinis, Burns and MMarsh into that group - well the first 9 at least.
How long until Marsh can bowl? He's definitely not going to be selected on batting alone. I feel like I could imagine a world in which Henriques scored a double ton next week and bolted into the side though, so maybe add him to the bottom of that list.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Henriques wouldn't be a bad option TBF. Has been very good in the domestic scene for the last couple of seasons.

mr_mister

**** there's endless options. We have enough depth for an awesome Australia A batting line up

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sentimentally I'd like to see Callum Ferguson get another chance. Guy was treated ****ing woefully by the selectors.

Probably no point though considering he is 33.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How long until Marsh can bowl? He's definitely not going to be selected on batting alone. I feel like I could imagine a world in which Henriques scored a double ton next week and bolted into the side though, so maybe add him to the bottom of that list.
Im not certain re: Marsh, after Xmas? I thought of Henriques after my post, yep he belongs in the mix. BTW with these selectors I could see a Mitch Marsh double ton next week being enough too.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Interesting to read Ed Cowan blasting the suggestion of Jake Lehmann getting into the Test side as it's rare for a current player to be so openly against another player getting selected (although I think Cowan said similar things about ODI selections in the past).

Sure, Lehmann's overall record may not be outstanding (although a FC average of 44 is pretty decent) but I can't help Cowan's views are driven by his own situation and perhaps some underlying resentment with Darren Lehmann over how he was cast out pretty soon after he was made coach.

the big bambino

International Captain
Also Lehmann's fc average is better than Handscomb's who is now a regular in the side. I think the situation for Lehmann is much the same as it was before the selectors picked Handscomb (and Renshaw). A position is vacant and a good innings in the short time available will be a winning audition. So if Ed had no criticisms of the selections of Renshaw and Handscomb I can't see any value in his view now.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Who is in the running for No 6

Maxwell
Cartwright
SMarsh
Patterson
Hughes
Finch
Lehmann
Ferguson
Bancroft
Phillippe
Labuschagne

Have I left anyone out ?

:)
Australia could field a team of number 6 candidates.

I think you Aussies are going a bit mental over this. England do not really have a three, a five and a third seamer, and there is a question mark hovering over one of our openers also. Australians are fretting over a seven (wk) and a six, the latter probably the most pointless position in the team unless you are using six for an all-rounder. If I was in your shoes I'd choose the middle-order batsman with the best Shield average from a two-three year time frame and give him a run rather than squabbling among yourselves.

Tangles

I'm not against Lehmann but I don't think it's a very good idea to pick the coaches son. Generates questions even if the best obvious choice. And given the options he isn't. Boof needs to walk if his son is selected IMO. Which means the when should be discussed if junior is that close

Gnske

I'd like to see Lehmann Jr learn how to use his feet even minimally against pace rather than length slashing away before he gets selected tbh.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I'm not against Lehmann but I don't think it's a very good idea to pick the coaches son. Generates questions even if the best obvious choice. And given the options he isn't. Boof needs to walk if his son is selected IMO. Which means the when should be discussed if junior is that close
Micky Stewart was England manager when his son Alec started in the side and I presume that went OK so while unusual I don't think it's impossible to manage.

Second Spitter

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, it's better if players get picked because they play for NSW.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you have a genuine look at blokes who’ve put up decent Shield numbers over a couple of years, it’s hard to go past Cartwright tbh.

Tangles

I think I've caught allrounder disease. Cummins, Starc and Haze all playing on batting highways has me wanting some overs out of a top 6 bat. Smith doesn't bowl himself so Maxi or Cartwright do offer that.

stephen

I want Maxi because he's the incumbent and has huge potential and I think he's been treated poorly. Though I wouldn't complain if Cartwright were the one picked.

Top_Cat

This isn't u/16's red league. You pick the best and if that's the coach's son, so be it.

Myself, I don't think Lehmann should be in contention but, for the near future, there's a lot to like about him. Attacking player, fixes the faults in his game pretty quickly but already has shown the old cliche of nose for the occasion. You can already see SA leaning on him as a senior player and he seems pretty unaffected by that. Personally think he has bigger problems with his defence than being a slashy leftie but the guy can play.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lehmann should probably step down as coach after this summer in fairness. Or at least not be a selector.

Did Swampy step down when Shaun came onto the scene? Feel like he did but I might be wrong.

Top_Cat

Geoff Marsh was well and truly gone by the time Shaun debuted. Might have been almost a decade out of the job by that point.

Again, I don't think Lehmann should step down if Jake is picked. That's dumb if he's considering it, it's supposed to be a professional environment ffs. I also don't think he should quit anyway and it's not because I think he's smashing it as coach. There's no one else better lining up to do the job. And why would you? A bloke like Gillespie has basically gone out of his way to coach anyone but the Aussie side. It's a **** job.

I do definitely agree that coach and skipper shouldn't be selectors. That was a bad move.

Last edited: