• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England players and selection discussion thread

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
i see you're finding new ways to cope with the fact you grew up with current players' fathers being active cricketers :ph34r:
Bah, some of us grew up with current players' grandfathers being active cricketers. Granted I can only name D'Oliveira off the top of my head, but there must be others. And no, I didn't see Nick Compton's grandad playing.

Here's one.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/player/422592.html
I didn't see much of grandad Colin, but I do recall him flying out to face L&T in 1974/75.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bah, some of us grew up with current players' grandfathers being active cricketers. Granted I can only name D'Oliveira off the top of my head, but there must be others. And no, I didn't see Nick Compton's grandad playing.
You go back far enough to see MC Cowdrey? His grandson played for Kent, but seems to have given it away now.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
You go back far enough to see MC Cowdrey? His grandson played for Kent, but seems to have given it away now.
Good call, as you can see from my simultaneous edit. tbh I'd never heard of young Fabian, but I figured there must be a chance that MCC had a grandson who played the game.

FBU

International Debutant
Anderson making himself available for Sri Lanka it seems... oh do please recover fully and miss this one out!
Bowlers just want to bowl. He says he is recovered and I can see why he wants to play as he's hardly bowled in the last 9 months. If he doesn't go to Sri Lanka, hope he goes on Lancs pre-season wherever and does a lot of cc bowling before the 1st Test in June.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
If our last tour there is anything to go on, he wouldn't do much bowling in Sri Lanka even if he played.
With how few overs he got last time I'm not sure he necessarily strengthens the XI over the extra batting Woakes or Curran provide or the impact Wood could make if he's still at top pace.

FBU

International Debutant
If our last tour there is anything to go on, he wouldn't do much bowling in Sri Lanka even if he played.
With how few overs he got last time I'm not sure he necessarily strengthens the XI over the extra batting Woakes or Curran provide or the impact Wood could make if he's still at top pace.
Yes the few number of overs is the thing. I can't see it being any different this time.
2 Tests and 1 warm up game Strauss (c) 95.4-26-236-16
2 Tests and 2 warm up games Root (c) 53-9-142-2

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Farbrace was on the verdict after the last test in South Africa and was suggesting that the wickets in Sri Lanka would very likely be a lot flatter this time, than on the 2018 tour

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit of a pisser, that. If memory serves Leach and them took about 90% of the Lankan wickets last time out.

However one slices it, Bess & Dawson/Parkinson are a step down in terms of experience and proven wicket taking ability.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Joe Root (Yorkshire, capt), Dom Bess (Somerset), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (Lancashire), Zak Crawley (Kent), Sam Curran (Surrey), Joe Denly (Kent), Ben Foakes (Surrey), Keaton Jennings (Lancashire), Jack Leach (Somerset), Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire), Ollie Pope (Surrey), Dominic Sibley (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham, vice-capt), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire), Mark Wood (Durham)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No YJB. Huh.

Not that I disagree particularly vehemently (in fact I'm chuffed Denly's solidity has been retained), but still mildly surprising.

Guessing Keystone is the reserve batter, which I'm not massively anti given he did decently on the last SL tour. I'd just prefer him not to be considered for the summer tests even if he does ok again as, well, we've been there before.

FBU

International Debutant
Hopefully it will be

1 Sibley
2 Crawley
3 Denly
4 Root
5 Stokes
6 Pope
7 Foakes
8 Curran
9 Bess