Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Test Top 5s (as of now)

Quote Originally Posted by CricAddict View Post
    Saha is better than Mushfiqur on both batting and keeping.
    Don't agree with this at all.

Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Keeping yes, batting big no. Mushfiq is hands down the better batsman
    Cricket's moral worldview:

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Saha easily the better keeper, perhaps the best in the SC I would say. I have to quantify that as Sarfraz does not usually get as many challenging wickets to show his keeping chops off as the keepers from India, SL and BD do.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Captain mr_mister's Avatar
    Amlas twin knocks this match helping my case regarding the 100s column nicely
    honestbharani likes this.
    cricket rules brah

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Its just the context of the game, isn't it? You cant just assume all 100s mean the same thing.

International Captain mr_mister's Avatar
    yeah i know. i also think all fifties dont mean the same thing, some are really damn valuable

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Morris gets Root in an absolute cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Not just cricket pundits but that's how batting has been judged pretty much for all of known history. Batsmen go and want to get hundreds. Teams want their top order batsmen to get big hundreds. When a batsman is out of form and his place is questioned, a 100 is what shuts down that conversation, not a 60. Right now in the South Africa-England thread, people are frustrated by Root getting 78 instead of a 100. Sure you can question that wisdom but to do it now when Warner doesn't have hundreds in England sounds a bit weird... If he actually got hundreds in England, even a 101, Warner fans would be the first to remind everyone about it.
    People are getting frustrated by Root getting 78 because it happened when his team were 3/140-odd and still well short of security, with not the world's strongest ever lower order coming in behind him. As mr_mister says, not all 50s are created equal and there is definitely such a thing as a particularly bad time to get out.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

forever 63*

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    Amlas twin knocks this match helping my case regarding the 100s column nicely
    Except that Amla has 26 test 100s, including a 311 in England. Him failing to convert in 1 game makes no difference to Warner failing to convert in two Ashes series in England and thus having 0 hundreds.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 17-07-2017 at 06:21 AM.
    marc71178 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    People are getting frustrated by Root getting 78 because it happened when his team were 3/140-odd and still well short of security, with not the world's strongest ever lower order coming in behind him. As mr_mister says, not all 50s are created equal and there is definitely such a thing as a particularly bad time to get out.
    Correct.
    These are some good examples

168/3 after a century opening stand, chasing 299. It's not unreasonable to suggest that had Warner converted in this match, Australia could have chased this down.
    4th Test: England v Australia at Chester-le-Street, Aug 9-12, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

97/2 just when a partnership with Smith was developing
    1st Investec Test: England v Australia at Cardiff, Jul 8-11, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 17-07-2017 at 06:21 AM.

International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Except that Amla has 26 test 100s, including a 311 in England. Him failing to convert in 1 game makes no difference to Warner failing to convert in two Ashes series in England and thus having 0 hundreds.
    You've clearly completely missed the point with this utterly irrelevant post. The point was that Amla's innings' this game were crucial despite not being 100s. Each players' career stats couldn't be less relevant.

Correct.
    These are some good examples

168/3 after a century opening stand, chasing 299. It's not unreasonable to suggest that had Warner converted in this match, Australia could have chased this down.
    4th Test: England v Australia at Chester-le-Street, Aug 9-12, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

97/2 just when a partnership with Smith was developing
    1st Investec Test: England v Australia at Cardiff, Jul 8-11, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    I don't get what point you're trying to make here...? Australian batsmen do it too, shock horror.

If you're just trying to make a dig because lol Aussies then that's pretty **** posting tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Smith is way better than Root and Williamson. He is on the way to become one of the greatest batsmen of all time along with the likes of Bradman, Sobers etc. He is certainly the best batsman I have seen in my time watching cricket ahead of even Lara. I love watching Root and he is great too but Smith is another level.
    Lol way too early.

Fyi Haydos averaged in the mid 50s an opener around 2004-5 ish.Then you had GSmith with all those massive double hundreds in England.

Smith is a class act,but I won't rate him l that high

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I don't get what point you're trying to make here...? Australian batsmen do it too, shock horror.

If you're just trying to make a dig because lol Aussies then that's pretty **** posting tbh.
    Umm this has nothing to do with Aussie batsmen or Aussies so relax, you don't have to come out defending your national honour here... the discussion between me and Mister was about Warner unless you take criticism of Warner as criticism of all Australian batsmen.

If you read the discussion of the last few pages from where you quoted my post, it was pointed out that Warner has 0 centuries outside of Australia and South Africa to which Mister replied how he has half centuries in England and half centuries are important too and used Amla's half century as an example, and then you made your point about how certain half centuries are different in the context of the game.

The only problem with this argument is Warner's half centuries in England do not qualify in that category..they are in fact the examples of getting out at the wrong time..so once again, to make these arguments to defend Warner's record in England seems disingenuous

Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    You've clearly completely missed the point with this utterly irrelevant post. The point was that Amla's innings' this game were crucial despite not being 100s. Each players' career stats couldn't be less relevant.
    The career stats are irrelevant in the context of this particular game, yes. But this topic was not about this game. This topic was about Top 5, so overall stats of the players mentioned in this thread are more relevant than 1 match.
    So to use Amla as an example doesn't make sense because when we want to talk about how good Amla is, we don't make the argument "oh he got 2 crucial 50s in a test match once" His career stats speak for themselves.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 17-07-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randycricfreak View Post
    Lol way too early.

Fyi Haydos averaged in the mid 50s an opener around 2004-5 ish.Then you had GSmith with all those massive double hundreds in England.

Smith is a class act,but I won't rate him l that high
    No one was claiming Graeme Smith was as good though really. It's the way he plays. And it's not like he had just had a season or two and is a flash in the pan. Any one who has watched him properly would know he is very special.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information