Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 181
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Test Top 5s (as of now)

  1. #136
    State Captain Julian87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ashfield
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by CricAddict View Post
    Saha is better than Mushfiqur on both batting and keeping.
    Don't agree with this at all.

  2. #137
    Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    7,990
    Keeping yes, batting big no. Mushfiq is hands down the better batsman
    Cricket's moral worldview:

    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die."

  3. #138
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,671
    Saha easily the better keeper, perhaps the best in the SC I would say. I have to quantify that as Sarfraz does not usually get as many challenging wickets to show his keeping chops off as the keepers from India, SL and BD do.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  4. #139
    International Captain mr_mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    6,869
    Amlas twin knocks this match helping my case regarding the 100s column nicely
    honestbharani likes this.
    cricket rules brah


  5. #140
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    23,671
    Its just the context of the game, isn't it? You cant just assume all 100s mean the same thing.

  6. #141
    International Captain mr_mister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    6,869
    yeah i know. i also think all fifties dont mean the same thing, some are really damn valuable

  7. #142
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    28,351
    Morris gets Root in an absolute cracker.

  8. #143
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    44,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Not just cricket pundits but that's how batting has been judged pretty much for all of known history. Batsmen go and want to get hundreds. Teams want their top order batsmen to get big hundreds. When a batsman is out of form and his place is questioned, a 100 is what shuts down that conversation, not a 60. Right now in the South Africa-England thread, people are frustrated by Root getting 78 instead of a 100. Sure you can question that wisdom but to do it now when Warner doesn't have hundreds in England sounds a bit weird... If he actually got hundreds in England, even a 101, Warner fans would be the first to remind everyone about it.
    People are getting frustrated by Root getting 78 because it happened when his team were 3/140-odd and still well short of security, with not the world's strongest ever lower order coming in behind him. As mr_mister says, not all 50s are created equal and there is definitely such a thing as a particularly bad time to get out.
    do you think people will be allowed to make violins?
    who's going to make the violins?

    forever 63*

  9. #144
    Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    7,990
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_mister View Post
    Amlas twin knocks this match helping my case regarding the 100s column nicely
    Except that Amla has 26 test 100s, including a 311 in England. Him failing to convert in 1 game makes no difference to Warner failing to convert in two Ashes series in England and thus having 0 hundreds.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 17-07-2017 at 06:21 AM.
    marc71178 likes this.

  10. #145
    Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    7,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    People are getting frustrated by Root getting 78 because it happened when his team were 3/140-odd and still well short of security, with not the world's strongest ever lower order coming in behind him. As mr_mister says, not all 50s are created equal and there is definitely such a thing as a particularly bad time to get out.
    Correct.
    These are some good examples

    168/3 after a century opening stand, chasing 299. It's not unreasonable to suggest that had Warner converted in this match, Australia could have chased this down.
    4th Test: England v Australia at Chester-le-Street, Aug 9-12, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo


    97/2 just when a partnership with Smith was developing
    1st Investec Test: England v Australia at Cardiff, Jul 8-11, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 17-07-2017 at 06:21 AM.

  11. #146
    International Captain TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Except that Amla has 26 test 100s, including a 311 in England. Him failing to convert in 1 game makes no difference to Warner failing to convert in two Ashes series in England and thus having 0 hundreds.
    You've clearly completely missed the point with this utterly irrelevant post. The point was that Amla's innings' this game were crucial despite not being 100s. Each players' career stats couldn't be less relevant.

  12. #147
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    44,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Correct.
    These are some good examples

    168/3 after a century opening stand, chasing 299. It's not unreasonable to suggest that had Warner converted in this match, Australia could have chased this down.
    4th Test: England v Australia at Chester-le-Street, Aug 9-12, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo


    97/2 just when a partnership with Smith was developing
    1st Investec Test: England v Australia at Cardiff, Jul 8-11, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    I don't get what point you're trying to make here...? Australian batsmen do it too, shock horror.

    If you're just trying to make a dig because lol Aussies then that's pretty **** posting tbh.

  13. #148
    U19 Cricketer randycricfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Smith is way better than Root and Williamson. He is on the way to become one of the greatest batsmen of all time along with the likes of Bradman, Sobers etc. He is certainly the best batsman I have seen in my time watching cricket ahead of even Lara. I love watching Root and he is great too but Smith is another level.
    Lol way too early.

    Fyi Haydos averaged in the mid 50s an opener around 2004-5 ish.Then you had GSmith with all those massive double hundreds in England.

    Smith is a class act,but I won't rate him l that high

  14. #149
    Cricket Web Staff Member Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    TEF
    Posts
    7,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I don't get what point you're trying to make here...? Australian batsmen do it too, shock horror.

    If you're just trying to make a dig because lol Aussies then that's pretty **** posting tbh.
    Umm this has nothing to do with Aussie batsmen or Aussies so relax, you don't have to come out defending your national honour here... the discussion between me and Mister was about Warner unless you take criticism of Warner as criticism of all Australian batsmen.

    If you read the discussion of the last few pages from where you quoted my post, it was pointed out that Warner has 0 centuries outside of Australia and South Africa to which Mister replied how he has half centuries in England and half centuries are important too and used Amla's half century as an example, and then you made your point about how certain half centuries are different in the context of the game.

    The only problem with this argument is Warner's half centuries in England do not qualify in that category..they are in fact the examples of getting out at the wrong time..so once again, to make these arguments to defend Warner's record in England seems disingenuous


    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    You've clearly completely missed the point with this utterly irrelevant post. The point was that Amla's innings' this game were crucial despite not being 100s. Each players' career stats couldn't be less relevant.
    The career stats are irrelevant in the context of this particular game, yes. But this topic was not about this game. This topic was about Top 5, so overall stats of the players mentioned in this thread are more relevant than 1 match.
    So to use Amla as an example doesn't make sense because when we want to talk about how good Amla is, we don't make the argument "oh he got 2 crucial 50s in a test match once" His career stats speak for themselves.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 17-07-2017 at 05:23 PM.

  15. #150
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    28,351
    Quote Originally Posted by randycricfreak View Post
    Lol way too early.

    Fyi Haydos averaged in the mid 50s an opener around 2004-5 ish.Then you had GSmith with all those massive double hundreds in England.

    Smith is a class act,but I won't rate him l that high
    No one was claiming Graeme Smith was as good though really. It's the way he plays. And it's not like he had just had a season or two and is a flash in the pan. Any one who has watched him properly would know he is very special.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 02:00 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-11-2014, 03:04 PM
  3. WCC Test Series - 2nd Test Submission Thread
    By Blewy in forum WCC - Team Sheets
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 25-10-2005, 12:35 AM
  4. WCC Test Series - 1st Test Team Submission Thread
    By Blewy in forum WCC - Team Sheets
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21-10-2005, 06:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •