• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India's Tour of Sri Lanka 2017

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
keeping a bowler on just to get a fifer never sat right with me though

sometimes its like, are they bowling bowler x when they really should be bowling bowler y?

srbhkshk

International Captain
keeping a bowler on just to get a fifer never sat right with me though

sometimes its like, are they bowling bowler x when they really should be bowling bowler y?
well, if it's just the last couple of wickets and they still need 200 runs or more with time left, it's maybe not perfect, but it doesn't really change the game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As long as 100 and fifers are used as statistical markers to define excellence levels in the individual departments, they will always remain significant, whether anyone likes it or not. The amount of give and take and the situations where you can take a gamble and let someone play for that milestone and the situations you cannot can be discussed but surely its stupid to act as if these milestones do not matter.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well, if it's just the last couple of wickets and they still need 200 runs or more with time left, it's maybe not perfect, but it doesn't really change the game.
Most of the time it doesn't but it can. Remember Kohli taking the new ball and bowling Umesh so he could get his 5fer at Pune leading to Starc smashing some vital runs?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They should have a disclaimer in the hawkeye telecast saying this prediction is based on MCC laws that dictate LBW dismissals but not an accurate prediction of the trajectory in anyway. Someone who doesn't watch cricket or who doesn't know the rules would think this is an accurate prediction.
I'd have thought someone who doesn't watch cricket would be more concerned about finding a few more basic points then this out first.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Most of the time it doesn't but it can. Remember Kohli taking the new ball and bowling Umesh so he could get his 5fer at Pune leading to Starc smashing some vital runs?
You are right.

I would never do it in the first innings of a match though, and will not do it 99.99% of the time in the second or third innings. The 4th innings is where I feel the match status often tends to be done and dusted and it's fine.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
With Chandimal back for next test,logic might be to just straight swap him with Gunartne into his best position at 6,but I doubt they would do that due to him being the captain and having to lead by example up the order etc.

Would be good to see though

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah Chandimal should get in and bat 4 and they should try and get in that De Silva guy for Gunathilake who does not look a test player to me. And another seamer maybe? Given its the SSC.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Agree, Gunathilake showed good form in ODI's but Dhanajaya is a test player -its a pity our selectors cant figure out that the two take a different skill set..If Herath doesn't play then I suppose it would be Lakmal who comes in and we just play Dilruwan as the lone spinner but that's that to contain rather being a lead wicket taker (his batting keeps him in favour)

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Just read that Lakmal ruled out with injury but Sandakan and Thirimanne added to the squad.
My xi: Dimuth, Tharanga, Mendis, Chandimal, Mathews,Dhanajaya, Dickwella, Dilruwan,Herath(Sandakan if injured),Kumara,Pradeep.
For me, thirrimanne hasn't done enough to warrant a place and I don't really get how he is in the squad..

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thirimanne is dreadful. Has some nice looking strokes but gives his wicket away in terrible ways.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So Rahul and Dhawan you would think

what the hell happens if Vijay is fit

This is how our current openers would rank at the moment (assuming everyone is fit)

1. Vijay
2. Rahul
3. Dhawan
4. Mukund

Obviously selectors rate Mukund #3 but recent performances of Dhawan should make him get ahead of the queue. Plus Mukund does look really late on the ball against genuine pace. Not something you want from your opener.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is how our current openers would rank at the moment (assuming everyone is fit)

1. Vijay
2. Rahul
3. Dhawan
4. Mukund

Obviously selectors rate Mukund #3 but recent performances of Dhawan should make him get ahead of the queue. Plus Mukund does look really late on the ball against genuine pace. Not something you want from your opener.
Not that we've had that as of yet. Surely none of the SL pacers are quicker than the Ranji domestic ones.