• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** India in West Indies 2017

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India need to move on, Dhoni is clearly nowhere near the force he was. Likewise Yuvraj, who was always erratic with the bat but used to be a factor with the ball.

They will not win the World Cup with such a soft middle order.

Oh and Carter's innings was an absolute disgrace.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree Ash needs to be out of the ODI side until and unless he can make himself an attacking option as a bowler. Just saying that Mishy will be a step down from Ash even in his current form. Piyush can be worth the investment as he has ability with the bat and as a fielder as well.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Replacement options for Ashwin/Jaddu atm:

Axar Patel
Krunal Pandya
Amit Mishra
Kuldeep Yadav
Yuzvender Chahal
Shahbaz Nadeem

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Issue is none of our good seamers can bat. That means by default all of your spin options must be decent to good with the bat ideally with more ball striking ability given they may be required to come in and slog. Out of the options above, only Kuldeep, Krunal and Axar can play that role. This is why Jaddu losing his batting, esp. his hitting, touch is bad news for our LO set up.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I agree Ash needs to be out of the ODI side until and unless he can make himself an attacking option as a bowler. Just saying that Mishy will be a step down from Ash even in his current form. Piyush can be worth the investment as he has ability with the bat and as a fielder as well.
I'm thinking that our first choice spinners should be Kuldeep , Jadeja and Chahal. Both Mishy and Piyush aren't young anymore. (And obviously if Ashwin sorts himself out, he walks into the side.)

Krunal is the way to go if we need some serious batting strength, the two Pandya brothers can provide a very powerful and explosive lower order.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am definitely warm to the idea of Krunal and Kuldeep being our main spinners, but we need to see how Krunal goes for at least a season in the domestic OD tournament. His List A record at the moment is not great at all. Maybe he can be blooded into the T20I team first and then based on how he goes, we can see if he will cut it as the second spinner/hitter in the side. Maybe play Jaddu and Kuldeep as the spin pair for ODIs and then Krunal and Kuldeep in T20s. I am ok with Chahal being the back up spinner in the squad but if you are a spinner today and you cannot bat and field well, you are just asking to be discarded.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am definitely warm to the idea of Krunal and Kuldeep being our main spinners, but we need to see how Krunal goes for at least a season in the domestic OD tournament. His List A record at the moment is not great at all. Maybe he can be blooded into the T20I team first and then based on how he goes, we can see if he will cut it as the second spinner/hitter in the side. Maybe play Jaddu and Kuldeep as the spin pair for ODIs and then Krunal and Kuldeep in T20s. I am ok with Chahal being the back up spinner in the squad but if you are a spinner today and you cannot bat and field well, you are just asking to be discarded.
the #1 spinner in odis currently is the worst batsman and fielder in his side, and possibly the world

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think PEWS made my point for me. :)

EDIT: And just to elaborate on my previous post, I was obviously talking in the context of the Indian side and what our current fast bowlers bring to the table. None of them bat so its imperative that we find a spinner who can coz otherwise we will continue to be the 300-320 team that can win when the bowling also stands up but we wont be winning global trophies. You gotta pick based on the strengths and weaknesses of your side and at this point, unless its a Warne or a Murali or even a Tahir, we cant afford to carry a spinner who can not bat or bowl. And none of our current spinners are even at Tahir's level, forget Warne and Murali.

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Bhuvi is a more than capable batsman. I really don't think he will embarrass himself at 8 in an ODI team. Or does he not have a power game at all? I've only really seem him bat in Tests.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Bhuvi is a more than capable batsman. I really don't think he will embarrass himself at 8 in an ODI team. Or does he not have a power game at all? I've only really seem him bat in Tests.
Lacks the power game is a bit strong to say (given that he has gotten stronger over the last year). But he isn't really the 25 in 10 balls guy, is a much better test batsman and his batting has gone down a bit in the last couple of years as he has focused on his bowling. He is still a good shout for 9, but not eight.

cnerd123

likes this
I would love to see Yuz Chahal and Shabaaz Nadeem replace Ashwin and Jaddu, respectively.
Nadeem isn't as good a bowler as his stats indicate. He's quality at domestic level but I feel he'll struggle with the step up.

But it's been a while since I've seen him bowl tbf so maybe he's better now.

Chahal should definitely be in the mix, especially if Ashwin continues to be lackluster.