• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Theresa May XI

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gave myself five minutes to come up with a side who, like our embattled PM (don't be fooled by the broad grin on my face my heart bleeds for her) started reasonably well but, ultimately, were found wanting

Daren Ganga
Adrian Barath
Mathew Sinclair
Owais Shah
Ravi Bopara
Adam Hollioake*
Zulqarnain Haider+
Simon Kerrigan
Sreesanth
Mohammed Sami
Narendra Hirwani

Jarquis

Not sure Kerrigan should count - never looked good in his one Test and although good in County cricket only got given a go in a dead rubber.

Irfan Pathan a shout perhaps?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
What we need is a team who wins a match by 55 runs but everybody pretends they lost just because they did not win by 100 runs.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What we need is a team who wins a match by 55 runs but everybody pretends they lost just because they did not win by 100 runs.
More like a team who are way ahead at the end of both first innings, before giving up their sizeable advantage by throwing all their wickets away in the third, and only managing to win at the end of the fourth with the help of a run out by a substitute fielder. Only Ricky Ponting is off to the side shouting about the Gary Pratt Agreement, which says this might not be allowed.

S.Kennedy

More like a team who are way ahead at the end of both first innings, before giving up their sizeable advantage by throwing all their wickets away in the third, and only managing to win at the end of the fourth with the help of a run out by a substitute fielder. Only Ricky Ponting is off to the side shouting about the Gary Pratt Agreement, which says this might not be allowed.
Let's look at our match - an one-dayer I believe,

May's XI, despite playing badly, post 330.
The Corbyn XI, despite playing out of their skins, post 232

Guess who wins? Guess who wins by a healthy margin?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
There's only winners and losers in life. Glad to see you're not some liberal #loser like most of this forum. They're tremendously sad.

S.Kennedy

Yes, among the Brits, there are a lot of loony lefties on here which I find odd as I always thought of cricket (like Tennis and Rugby Union) as a poshers' sport haha, public school dominated, the whites, ''lunch and tea olde boy'', etc haha. Its history is filled with amateur elegant gentlemen batsman like Ranji, Cowdrey and Gower - all stiff upper lips.

Rugby League,now that is a proper working boy's Labour voting sport. Football was before the money and middle classes arrived in the '90s - the prawn sandwich brigade, all £80 replica strips and £50 Sky subscriptions etc. It is still a working class thing if you delve into the lower/non leagues though.

Further on this May Eleven thing, you need one Scottish batsman who scores the majority of runs and saves the team's embarrassment. Mike Denness perhaps or Kyle Coetzer?

Last edited:

mr_mister

All good mate.

Azhar Mahmood another good one. People probably expected him to reach miandad level after that 3rd hundred against Donald and co

DriveClub

International Regular
Yes, among the Brits, there are a lot of loony lefties on here which I find odd as I always thought of cricket (like Tennis and Rugby Union) as a poshers' sport haha, public school dominated, the whites, ''lunch and tea olde boy'', etc haha. Its history is filled with amateur elegant gentlemen batsman like Ranji, Cowdrey and Gower - all stiff upper lips.

Rugby League,now that is a proper working boy's Labour voting sport. Football was before the money and middle classes arrived in the '90s - the prawn sandwich brigade, all £80 replica strips and £50 Sky subscriptions etc. It is still a working class thing if you delve into the lower/non leagues though.

Further on this May Eleven thing, you need one Scottish batsman who scores the majority of runs and saves the team's embarrassment. Mike Denness perhaps or Kyle Coetzer?
Lol what the hell does this even mean stiff upper lip, public school, loony lefties, poshers sport, is this a parody account?

Bijed

International Regular
Arguably a Theresa May XI would be cut down to 8 players who are expected to perform as well as a team of 11

fredfertang

Arguably a Theresa May XI would be cut down to 8 players who are expected to perform as well as a team of 11
And obviously there'd be two non-playing off field captains who would be absolutely responsible for absolutely everything, one of whom would have a silly beard

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Elections are like The Ashes - used to be a special event, now we have one every three weeks