• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting calls Lara selfish

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
luckyeddie said:
Surprised no-one did this before

<Ponting> Brian....
<Lara> Yeah, Ricky mon?
<Ponting> You mollusc

Ohhhhhhhh. Selfish

(heh)
Except we don't speak like Jamaicans. :p

Swervy

International Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Except we don't speak like Jamaicans. :p

hahaha....i guess the popular perception of the carribean accent in the UK is that of a jamaican. It struck me that Sarwan has quite an unusual accent when I heard him speak the other day

Langeveldt

Soutie
Swervy said:
hahaha....i guess the popular perception of the carribean accent in the UK is that of a jamaican. It struck me that Sarwan has quite an unusual accent when I heard him speak the other day
Yeah, a lot of Americans find the English accent nice.. But there are so many different ones, some being impossible to understand.. :D

oh and WELCOME BACK KRKODE!!

Where the hell you been?

krkode

State Captain
Just a little self-imposed censorship for a while. Been through the American college applications process...got the bajeezuls knocked out of me with all the pressure and tension.

It's all over now, and I'm happy India beat Pakistan and I'm going to college. :happy:

Thanks, though, it's good to be back. :)

Linda

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Why the hell do people keep trying to interpret my words to suit their own agenda?
Sounds a bit like what alot of people are doing to Ponting.
Am I missing the part where he actually says Lara is selfish?

Perhaps Ponting is just stating that his team has a different style to that of the West Indies. This is what I'm talking about...

Lions81 said:
He did the absolute right thing for the fans. The 400 is much bigger than the win. So now when an English fan points out the lopside 3-0 tally, the West Indian fan can reply, "Lara. 400. Enough said." 3-1 wouldn't have made any difference really, and then with what would the West Indian fan retort?
Thats fair enough, but is it possible that Ponting's men value a win more than an individual victory? Perhaps even the Australian fans? Why is that so hard to beleive?

Pontings not saying its wrong, hes saying if he were in that position he wouldnt do it. He repeats the fact that it's "not the way the Australian team plays", so thats what hes saying... no interpretation needed as far as I can see.

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
age_master said:
what do people have against other peoples opinions anyway...
Well in this case, Ponting's disparaging a man who just scored 400 runs in an international test innings, the most ever scored by anyone since the game's been invented. It sounds like sour grapes. You'd expect something a bit more classy from someone who wins every time he goes out there (unless Harbhajan Singh's bowling :D ), but his comments come off sounding really childish. Clearly he has a right to his opinion, but we have a right to disagree with it and suggest that maybe he shouldnt have said it!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
all he said was that Lara should have put the team winning the game as a higher priority and not batted as long, which being the captain of a successful international cricket team he might have some idea about... maybe Lara should listen to him... ofcourse you have the right to disagree but the amount of stuff said about one persons comments is pretty silly. especially when he didn;t actually say that he was selfish unlike others, he just said that he wouldn't let an Aussie batsman bat that long at risk of letting a test slip away...

""It would be nice if you could be the world record holder but at the end of the day, as we've seen, it doesn't necessarily win you a Test match, which is what we're all about," said Ponting."

Lions81

U19 Cricketer
age_master said:
all he said was that Lara should have put the team winning the game as a higher priority and not batted as long, which being the captain of a successful international cricket team he might have some idea about... maybe Lara should listen to him... ofcourse you have the right to disagree but the amount of stuff said about one persons comments is pretty silly. especially when he didn;t actually say that he was selfish unlike others, he just said that he wouldn't let an Aussie batsman bat that long at risk of letting a test slip away...

""It would be nice if you could be the world record holder but at the end of the day, as we've seen, it doesn't necessarily win you a Test match, which is what we're all about," said Ponting."
Did Lara say he didnt want to win and just wanted to get the record and go home? In the end, it was some defiant batting from England that kept West Indies from winning. I still don't understand what reason Ponting even had for sticking his beak in in the first place. You don't hear Ganguly, Fleming, Smith or even Vaughan opening their mouths...

anzac

International Debutant
Linda said:
Perhaps Ponting is just stating that his team has a different style to that of the West Indies.
Pontings not saying its wrong, hes saying if he were in that position he wouldnt do it. He repeats the fact that it's "not the way the Australian team plays", so thats what hes saying... no interpretation needed as far as I can see.

thanx...........I knew what I was trying to say earlier but I was hoping someone would clear it up..............

:wub:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Lions81 said:
You don't hear Ganguly, Fleming, Smith or even Vaughan opening their mouths...
Umm the others I dont know about but Ganguly and Smith have certainly made there fair share of stupid comments.

And when you are asked a question by the media it's very easy to say somthing you may think twice about in hindsight especialy when you are new to the job.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Linda said:
Sounds a bit like what alot of people are doing to Ponting.
Am I missing the part where he actually says Lara is selfish?

Perhaps Ponting is just stating that his team has a different style to that of the West Indies. This is what I'm talking about...

Thats fair enough, but is it possible that Ponting's men value a win more than an individual victory? Perhaps even the Australian fans? Why is that so hard to beleive?

Great post :)

Swervy

International Captain
again..its another 'non-issue'...Pontings comments appear to have been blown out of all proportion

Loony BoB

International Captain
Eclipse said:
Umm the others I dont know about but Ganguly and Smith have certainly made there fair share of stupid comments.

And when you are asked a question by the media it's very easy to say somthing you may think twice about in hindsight especialy when you are new to the job.
Fleming is also pretty vocal. I don't know about his opinion being stupid - I think it's generally justified etc. - but yes, he does "open his mouth" on many occasions and in many areas. Probably just not so often when it comes to things that aren't of his concern.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swervy said:
again..its another 'non-issue'...Pontings comments appear to have been blown out of all proportion
Indeed. With that in mind, let's let this thread die peacefully.