• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI looks set to lose vote on revenue sharing model

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its Manohar. He is doing what he and the rest of BCCI do. :p Buying votes, throwing bones to further their own selfish agendas. As I said, nothing is new here. This is just one corrupt **** trying to one up another corrupt ****. This will keep happening in circles. Manohar knew how the cards will fall once the BCCI was taken up by the Supreme Court and made his moves to ensure he was at the right place at the right time to escape the SC norms as well as further his own agenda by portraying himself as some saint who has come to save the ICC from the evil BCCI. Once his agenda is fulfilled and he has made his money, he will leave with no care for everything else. He is just banking on the SC and the CoA that they wont allow BCCI to pull out of tours and tournaments. That has been his trump card ever since this saga started.

EDIT: Its the overall ICC and the individual boards who stand to lose anything here. How the hell the ICC admins need a $100 M raise for the work they do is still beyond me.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The part that's fishy is :

WICB and ZC essentially just had their votes bought by the ICC.
But that's pretty much how these things always work though. Anywhere where you have a committee and people vote, you secure votes by offering something in return. That's how Big 3 came into place too because BCCI offered series to the smaller teams

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its how business has always happened at ICC. And that is why I am saying all of this is just replacing one corrupt group running the game to another corrupt group running the game.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Its how business has always happened at ICC. And that is why I am saying all of this is just replacing one corrupt group running the game to another corrupt group running the game.
You say this again and again while ignoring that something good has actually come of this (ie) Associates getting funds.

OverratedSanity

But that's pretty much how these things always work though. Anywhere where you have a committee and people vote, you secure votes by offering something in return. That's how Big 3 came into place too because BCCI offered series to the smaller teams
Not disagreeing at all. Just that those grants are probably going to be pissed down the drain the way WICB and ZC are run.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we're making different points here.

Are the other boards less corrupt than BCCI? No.

But my point has never been about who is more corrupt. This is not a morality tale. My only concern with Big 3 and why I thought it was detrimental to the future of cricket was that funds and finances were allocated purely on a short term profit perspective.

Instead, this model, while still rewarding BCCI more than everyone else, (which is fair given their contribution), leaves about $100m for Associates. This will help these teams to invest in their cricket and hopefully help cricket grow.

What I ultimately want is for cricket to grow. The world is immoral, corrupt, evil. That's how it has always been. And no abolishing "Government" is not going to solve all the world's problems contrary to what PEWS would advise. The trick is to find a way to still achieve what you want, or least 60% of what you want within that world.

Last edited:

BigCaine

School Boy/Girl Captain

cnerd123

likes this
I've come around to the side that feels the BCCI doesn't owe world cricket anything.

The reason all these non-Big 3/Big 4 nations are in the situation they are in is almost entirely down to the incompetence of their own boards. PCB, WICB, ZCB, SLCB, and even the BCB to some extent, are all horribly managed and corrupt. If cricket dies in their countries it won't be because the BCCI wants a fair split of the revenue. The BCCI should get to keep the money they bring in. The BCCI should negotiate for what they are worth. The BCCI should not exist to fund broken cricket systems around the world. These smaller nations have existed for far too long by raking in money from cricket featuring India, without investing into developing their fanbase, their domestic structures, and creating a viable business structure that enables them to be self sufficient. How long are these handouts from the BCCI expected to continue? How long do they expect to keep suckling at the BCCI's teat?

A board like NZC is well run, but at the end of the day when you're in a small country and are, at best, the second most popular sport within said country, there is only so much money you can expect to earn from it. Players, administrators and anyone else who wants to make a living in cricket within that country should realise this and accept this as a reality. It isn't up to the BCCI to ensure some random Otago Second XI batsman won't need a full time job in order to pay the bills.

Cricket is a product, and as a national cricket board you cannot sell this produce to your own fans, what right do you have to turn to the few boards that have been successful and demand them to fund your existence? And that too by getting nothing in return? And then call them selfish/greedy/immoral when they say no? Really?

The fact is. If cricket cannot survive in your country without handouts, then you, as a cricket board, have failed in your job. Plain and simple.

This is obviously different for Associates. Countries without a professional cricket infrastructure need money to grow the sport to the point till they are self-sustainable. But that should be the end goal - being self sustainable. I don't want to see Ireland, Afghanistan or even Hong Kong reaching the stage where they have professional cricket infrastructures in place that rely on handouts from the ICC or BCCI, and that would fail otherwise.

OverratedSanity

I've come around to the side that feels the BCCI doesn't owe world cricket anything.

The reason all these non-Big 3/Big 4 nations are in the situation they are in is almost entirely down to the incompetence of their own boards. PCB, WICB, ZCB, SLCB, and even the BCB to some extent, are all horribly managed and corrupt. If cricket dies in their countries it won't be because the BCCI wants a fair split of the revenue. The BCCI should get to keep the money they bring in. The BCCI should negotiate for what they are worth. The BCCI should not exist to fund broken cricket systems around the world. These smaller nations have existed for far too long by raking in money from cricket featuring India, without investing into developing their fanbase, their domestic structures, and creating a viable business structure that enables them to be self sufficient. How long are these handouts from the BCCI expected to continue? How long do they expect to keep suckling at the BCCI's teat?

A board like NZC is well run, but at the end of the day when you're in a small country and are, at best, the second most popular sport within said country, there is only so much money you can expect to earn from it. Players, administrators and anyone else who wants to make a living in cricket within that country should realise this and accept this as a reality. It isn't up to the BCCI to ensure some random Otago Second XI batsman won't need a full time job in order to pay the bills.

Cricket is a product, and as a national cricket board you cannot sell this produce to your own fans, what right do you have to turn to the few boards that have been successful and demand them to fund your existence? And that too by getting nothing in return? And then call them selfish/greedy/immoral when they say no? Really?

The fact is. If cricket cannot survive in your country without handouts, then you, as a cricket board, have failed in your job. Plain and simple.

This is obviously different for Associates. Countries without a professional cricket infrastructure need money to grow the sport to the point till they are self-sustainable. But that should be the end goal - being self sustainable. I don't want to see Ireland, Afghanistan or even Hong Kong reaching the stage where they have professional cricket infrastructures in place that rely on handouts from the ICC or BCCI, and that would fail otherwise.
Thats a whole lot of nothing, because the other boards aren't getting any handouts at all. It's all going to the associates. Apart from those "grants" to wicb and zc, the other boards aren't getting anything extra.

indiaholic

International Captain
Eh don't give a **** if the BCCI doesn't earn more money. The greater the number of competent teams playing cricket, the better it is for me. This will require subsidizing some of the teams. I am absolutely fine if it involves conditions like say disbanding a board and ICC taking control over cricket administration in the WI.

cnerd123

likes this
What the BCCI should have done IMO is take the money to fund themselves from all the Test nations. Let the associates keep their 280 mill and get that money from cutting all the Test nations proportionally. Pitch that back at them and see if their lip service about 'developing the game' holds up

Shri

Mr. Glass
I think we're making different points here.

Are the other boards less corrupt than BCCI? No.

But my point has never been about who is more corrupt. This is not a morality tale. My only concern with Big 3 and why I thought it was detrimental to the future of cricket was that funds and finances were allocated purely on a short term profit perspective.

Instead, this model, while still rewarding BCCI more than everyone else, (which is fair given their contribution), leaves about $100m for Associates. This will help these teams to invest in their cricket and hopefully help cricket grow.

What I ultimately want is for cricket to grow. The world is immoral, corrupt, evil. That's how it has always been. And no abolishing "Government" is not going to solve all the world's problems contrary to what PEWS would advise. The trick is to find a way to still achieve what you want, or least 60% of what you want within that world.
Lol, you think Zimbabwe cricket is going to benefit from this? Haha.

indiaholic

International Captain
It won't hold up.. But the point is is to take the money from the country who will be the least affected by this.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You say this again and again while ignoring that something good has actually come of this (ie) Associates getting funds.

Associates would have gained funds independent of the ICC too if they entered into deals with BCCI. How the **** did you think Bangladesh suddenly became a test nation? And what use is the Assocaites getting money if their boards end up as corrupt as WICB and ZCB? We all know about the USA board right? This "good" may not really be good is the problem. And I am not ignoring anything. I am just responding to the ones painting this as some "win" for the good people.

cnerd123

likes this
It won't hold up.. But the point is is to take the money from the country who will be the least affected by this.
That's not a fair way to approach this IMO, because if you constantly use that line of reasoning, you never force the smaller full members to suffer the consequences of their poor leadership.

I'd much rather the ICC take the 280 mill out from the total revenue, and the divvy up the remaining proportionally

Shri

Mr. Glass
Zimbabwe cricket is dead. About time we buried them and split their share to other associates. Bring them back into the fold when things improve for them.

indiaholic

International Captain
That's not a fair way to approach this IMO, because if you constantly use that line of reasoning, you never force the smaller full members to suffer the consequences of their poor leadership.

I'd much rather the ICC take the 280 mill out from the total revenue, and the divvy up the remaining proportionally
Oh I don't think WI and Zimbabwe should be test nations. But I am perfectly okay with the money going to the associates.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thats a whole lot of nothing, because the other boards aren't getting any handouts at all. It's all going to the associates. Apart from those "grants" to wicb and zc, the other boards aren't getting anything extra.

Yay for the contextless pie charts. Now go figure what the pie chart was with the Big 3 model and what it was before that. Then we can have actual debate on the model. You may be loathe to accept the facts but the Big 3 position paper had actual logic behind it in terms of what revenue is brought in through which board and how it is distributed. The one above is as random as it gets.

And where in the pie is that $100 M Manohar is pulling out for BCCI? And where is the $100 M increase in ICC salaries noted here?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Zimbabwe cricket is dead. About time we buried them and split their share to other associates. Bring them back into the fold when things improve for them.
They won v Pakistan recently. Who are you to decide this exactly..