• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Off Season 2017

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think it's weird. henriques/stonis are there because the contracted MMarsh is injured, Lynn and Hastings are depth OD players, why would they get a full CA contract?
Without going into it too much again.. There are players who were given contracts less deserving, like Billy Stanlake, fresh of taking 0 wickets the entire Shield season has been picked just so CA can manage him and Ashton Agar who puts the bits into bits and pieces.

Henriques and Stoinis can't both be there because of one injury. Lynn is in our best T20 team, rated somewhere between 10th-14th ranked in ODIs.

The Cartwright vs Stoinis debate is so confusing too. Hilton plays a Test but doesn't make the Indian tour but gets a contract. Marcus plays superbly in NZ ODIs, has a rubbish domestic season, but makes the CT squad but misses out on a contract. Hilton other positive is his younger age and time spent under Chappell with the CA XI.

brockley

International Captain
I like the potential of Stoinis and Cartwright.
But then their is Ben Green and Will Sutherland who I rate highly.
Wonder with state contracts if its the end of Ben Rohrer?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All of a sudden Peter has learned to use his Hands to bat effectively in the 50 over format and not Comb.

I like this development.

stephen

Pattinson doing better than expected with the white ball. Still too expensive but taking a few wickets.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
AFL clubs looking at trying to get their hands on Will Sutherland. Be interesting to see what happens in the next few months, I'd assume that CV would be wanting to offer him a rookie contract if that's the case.

brockley

International Captain
They offered Alex Keath a state contract,wouldn't put it past Victoria to do that,especially since Ian Holland has officially signed with Hampshire.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They offered Alex Keath a state contract,wouldn't put it past Victoria to do that,especially since Ian Holland has officially signed with Hampshire.
Seems like that Alex Keath guy was getting pulled in 2 directions for too long and ended up being just not good enough at either

Better of committing to something early IMO

Starfighter

Pat Howard's contract has been extended. Can't see why, seems like he's just been a waste of space to me.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pat Howard's contract has been extended. Can't see why, seems like he's just been a waste of space to me.
To be honest, he'll never get praise for anything going well but is a great punching bag when things go wrong.

For example, organising the trip to Dubai to warm up for India, where they had control over their own practice conditions, probably helped the touring party a lot, but you won't see an article praising him for such decisions anywhere.

Spikey

Tbf, his role is literally there because there needed to be a punching bag beyond the captain/coach/ceo (sutherland getting any blame for the performance of the male's cricket team has always been a bit nuts). It's still a bit odd in that I think he covers both the men's and woman's game...? but he's never gonna get sacked for poor performance by the woman's team

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Having groomed the "big players" to split them away from ACA, seems a funny thing to throw in their face afterwards...

Burgey

Nick Bertus will be NSW's next wicketkeeper/ will play as a batsman until Nev packs it in

Spikey

I mean, why would you even continue after you've been part of the greatest thing to ever happen?

brockley

International Captain
Wonder how many more players will fly the coup now that state cricket off the menua at the CA?
Dan Christian must be a chance,he already plays IPL,NatBlast,Big Bash,3rd of the way now.
Lot of money on offer.

Don't see Chris Lynn going that way,because it burns bright for him to play for oz,especially if his one day career starts off.
I was thinking of more state based players.