• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selfish mother ****ers

cnerd123

likes this
At the end of the day blame the BCCI and the selectors for how they handled Sachin, not Sachin himself. He is a free man who is well within his rights to pick and choose which games he wants to play and how long he wants to play for. He doesn't select the team at the end of the day.

Athlai

Not Terrible
India won the last 6 Tests Tendulkar played. I'm no historian but I'm pretty sure they lost the next 20.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Socially speaking within the team set-up (as opposed to on the field where he was actually a good & gritty team-man), Adam Parore to take the gloves.

I remember Astle in particular saying Parore was a bit of a ***** in his autobiography.
Nah Gilchrist. Frequently weakened his team's position by galloping off the field on his high horse every chance he got.

cnerd123

likes this
Doesn't mean it wasn't selfish of him.
He's in his right to be selfish. He's getting paid doing something he loves as a career, and it's the only thing that he knows. As long as they keep picking him and paying him, why would he stop?

Would you have stopped?

I wouldn't have stopped. Heck I pay to play cricket now and I'm still going to be doing this no matter how old or decrepit i become. As long as a team picks me, I'm in.

Really can't blame Sachin for just being a normal human and doing what he loves to the best of his ability. Blame the people whose job it was to transition him out for letting him stay a bit too long*

*and even that's arguable given he was averaging 30-40 in his decline, which was still not-terrible

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's in his right to be selfish. He's getting paid doing something he loves as a career, and it's the only thing that he knows. As long as they keep picking him and paying him, why would he stop?

Would you have stopped?

I wouldn't have stopped. Heck I pay to play cricket now and I'm still going to be doing this no matter how old or decrepit i become. As long as a team picks me, I'm in.

Really can't blame Sachin for just being a normal human and doing what he loves to the best of his ability. Blame the people whose job it was to transition him out for letting him stay a bit too long*

*and even that's arguable given he was averaging 30-40 in his decline, which was still not-terrible
Being way too kind too him. Was averaging 20s in his last year. I'd agree with your post in most other cases. Tendulkar is different. He knew he wasn't going to be dropped and he knew it and used that to cynically get to 200 tests.

If the selectors dropped him, it would've been an ugly scene and no rational human wanted his career to end that way. It's ridiculous to blame them in this case.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Flintoff, half the time you couldn't get the ball out of his hands. Lords 2006 Panesar only 27 overs going at 1.81 with 2 wickets. Flintoff 51 overs in the innings.
I don't think it was a selfishness thing in Flintoff's case though. He was the captain and the team's best bowler, and he wanted to take responsibility by bowling his team to wins. One of the perils of selecting a bowler to be your captain.

cnerd123

likes this
Being way too kind too him. Was averaging 20s in his last year. I'd agree with your post in most other cases. Tendulkar is different. He knew he wasn't going to be dropped and he knew it and used that to cynically get to 200 tests.

If the selectors dropped him, it would've been an ugly scene and no rational human wanted his career to end that way. It's ridiculous to blame them in this case.
Well yea, he probably knew he was undroppable. And what I'm saying is I don't blame him for taking advantage of that and playing as long as he did. Because it's his call to retire when he feels he's done all he can and has nothing left to play for. It's the selector's call to drop him when they feel he isn't good enough. Sachin made the right call, and the circumstances were just such where the selectors couldn't do the same.

I don't feel right calling any player who retires too late 'Selfish'. It's their decision whether they want to be available for selection and the are in their right to do that for as long as they feel they want to be available for selection. Many great players never retired, they were just dropped and faded away. Many great cricketers play on till their 40s and 50s at much lower levels. And that's fine. As long as someone is willing to pick them in a team, they should feel just fine showing up and playing for said team. At the end of the day this is just a sport and we all love to play it. Why hold that against somebody?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, there's part of it that's like when Federer was being criticised a couple of years ago for continuing on, and spoiling his "legacy" just because he wasn't winning like he used to. He loved playing tennis, touring the world and being paid well to do it - why should he retire just because he wasn't as good at it as he was in his prime?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, there's part of it that's like when Federer was being criticised a couple of years ago for continuing on, and spoiling his "legacy" just because he wasn't winning like he used to. He loved playing tennis, touring the world and being paid well to do it - why should he retire just because he wasn't as good at it as he was in his prime?
There's obvious differences with an individual sport like tennis though. Federer wasn't letting down anyone besides himself. Tendulkar was letting his teammates down as well.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well yea, he probably knew he was undroppable. And what I'm saying is I don't blame him for taking advantage of that and playing as long as he did.
That's kinda... umm... selfish.

And no one said the selectors were blameless. Sachin just put them in a tough spot.

cnerd123

likes this
***** also ignoring the point about that farewell series being arranged and the SA tour being shortened.
I don't see what Sachin's role in any of that is.

Again, you are trying to hold the player accountable for the actions of the board and the director. The player's only job is to show up, train hard, be good in the dressing room, and give a 100% on the field. Sachin did all of that. The rest isn't in his control and is not his decision.

I just inherently disagree with calling a sportsman selfish for wanting to keep playing at the highest level he can, since that is the very essence of what makes someone a sportsman. Literally.

cnerd123

likes this
exactly. which means he was being selfish and that's all that matters wrt the thread.
meant that more like 'If wanting to play cricket at the highest level i can for as long as I can is a crime, then lock me up' sort of way. As I've said, I don't think Sachin is selfish for his actions and should be blamed as such.