• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Christopher Cairns

nibbs

International Captain
I think he just made it offcial. Only moments ago, that he is retiring from test cricket, and dammit right before he was going to kick Englands ****. Oh well, we still have him in ODI team and I'm sure he'll cause England all kinds of havoc.

I'd just like to say thanks for the memories Cairnsy. I've enjoyed every minute of it.

:( :( :(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
What's that you said?

Chris Cairns is running scared of Steve Wayward-Harmison?

Damn. That's the confrontation I really wanted to see, in all seriousness.

tooextracool

International Coach
that comes as a major surprise for me. he won the test series for nz in england last time and despite all the injuries that he has suffered since then,i still think he would cause england problems.
i believe that at his peak he was without a shadow of a doubt the best all rounder playing at that time and one of the best all rounders that we have seen since the days of the awesome 4

nibbs

International Captain
nb: I'm not 100% sure. But on the NZ Cricket awards tonight he got interviewed and it showed highlights of his test career. I missed the first bit of it, where he probably said 'yep, I'm retiring'. But I got the general feeling it meant he was calling it quits from TESTS. He'll still be there thurr for the one dayers. I'm sure he'll kick some ass too.

pfffftttt, Harmison...

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Gee, you'd think he'd like to finish on top (kicking England's ****) wouldn't you? Be a perfect send off...

cbuts

International Debutant
he probally wants to be able to walk away from cricket, and not end up in a wheel chair when he is 50. not all bad, got jake oram, best nz allrounder atm, if not the best in the world

Majin

International Debutant
^Couldn't have said it better myself. :}

But it is a shame. Cairns is an awesome player. But eh, it's not like he's NZ's only hope, like a Brian Lara. They'll get on just fine.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Why is he retiring from tests and playing onedayers ? Shouldn't it be the other way round? He is not going to play in the next wc is he?

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
because its easier for him to recover from one dayers than it is tests, his body just cant hold upto the 5 day game (pretty much like whats happened to Darren Gough).

Rich2001

International Captain
From Cricinfo

One-day internationals only from now on? Cairns hints his Test career might continue

Wisden Cricinfo staff: March 31, 2004

Chris Cairns refused to be drawn on continuing rumours that he is set to announce his retirement from Test cricket and concentrate on playing one-day internationals.

But he did offer a broad hint that reports of him quitting might be premature. When asked to comment, he merely said: ""Maybe I want to carry on." He then added that he was enjoying playing in the environment that has been developed under coach John Bracewell and with the youngsters coming into the side.

Some pundits believe that Cairns is keen to play in the Test series in England in May before bowing out.

Cairns has struggled in recent years to maintain his fitness, with knee and back injuries leaving him increasingly sidelined. The consensus is that by concentrating on the one-day game, he should be able to extend his career.

Loony BoB

International Captain
SpaceMonkey said:
because its easier for him to recover from one dayers than it is tests, his body just cant hold upto the 5 day game (pretty much like whats happened to Darren Gough).
Which is handy, because it's so damned fun to watch him fire up in a good ODI match against Aussie. :) ODI's are something his style is more suited to. But he's great either way.

And Oram isn't that bad, actually... don't know about best in the world, but he ain't bad. Styris, too, although he's strong with the bat. Kind of weird how Oram, Styris (and Cairns?) were all brought into the side predominantly for their bowling abilities, and now they all perform just as well as any of the top order batsmen.

anzac

International Debutant
with that comment from Cairns I'd say that if his body is feeling ok from the series v RSA (which is probably as much int cricket as he had played in the past few seasons combined), then he may very well decide on a last test tour to England.....

is there another Home series next up or are they Away?????

me thinks the ultimate would be to annonunce his retirement for the completion of the series v OZ.............perhaps he would not be alone in that decision??????

:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
i feel old now...I have seen Chris cairns AND his dad retire
Meh.

I remember Lance Cairns' test debut.

Mind you, he's one of the few people I am actually younger than.

cbuts

International Debutant
the form shown by oram this home season, has been the bet ive seen in terms of the current all orunders. i think u miss heard the cairns interview, go to www.nzcricket.co.nz theres a bit from his interview, that stronlgy suggests he wants to play in the tests in england. sounds like it will come down to weather the body says yes.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
TDCC Young Guns said:
the form shown by oram this home season, has been the bet ive seen in terms of the current all orunders. i think u miss heard the cairns interview, go to www.nzcricket.co.nz theres a bit from his interview, that stronlgy suggests he wants to play in the tests in england. sounds like it will come down to weather the body says yes.
I'm not sure the interview was misheard. I merely think, given when the report surfaced, that the reporter was Loof Lirpa.

Cheers,

Mike