Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Should reviews be taken out of the players' hands?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar

Should reviews be taken out of the players' hands?

Why don't we just let people in the support team handle it after looking at replays? Currently, the perception is that it is a players vs umpires thing and the idea makes the whole process more efficient. Someone can look at the TV replays quickly through a dedicated stump cam or something in real time and signal for a review based on analysis instead. That way, no one feels aggrieved at either the players or the umpires and the game can go on without any resentment building up, or at least directed at someone else off the field.

The whole system seems like players vs umpires at the moment and causes tension. I think looking at the dressing room for guidance during reviews is completely fair if both teams agree to it before hand and would like it if mundane things like this don't take focus away from a hard fought test match.
    Last edited by Shri; 08-03-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    mr_mister likes this.
    I am proud of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    I mean if you're doing this you may as well let the third umpire decide when to review or overturn an onfield decision then no?
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    I mean if you're doing this you may as well let the third umpire decide when to review or overturn an onfield decision then no?
    We could but if he doesn't check every damn decision, the guy will be accused of bias and ****. Better this way imo.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Nah, because they'd choose to review too many and it'd keep going upstairs like it does with run outs. If he/she doesn't make the call to go review and makes the wrong decision, there'll be accusations flying all over the place. I think the idea has merit tbh, and would result in better decision making and overall more correct decisions being made, which is ultimately the goal of DRS.

Imagine being the guy assigned to do it though and you take your eye off for a sec to check your twitter..

No more players ****ing up reviews. Boohoo
    indiaholic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    No more players ****ing up reviews. Boohoo
    Imagine the possibilities man. Watson could be appointed to the newly created position.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Nah, because they'd choose to review too many and it'd keep going upstairs like it does with run outs.
    It's not like matches are heavily delayed by run out reviews, are they?
    Madness. Exhilarating. Magical. Netherlands have crossed the line in an unbelievable 13.5 overs.
    It's like watching a Gayle from each end. And when one Gayle gets out.. Another Gayle comes in...

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    Is there not too much innovation being discussed already? My head is boggled by all the reforms. Every day somebody comes up with something new, ''why don't we do this...why don't we do that?''. Depending on changes to the Laws/administration currently being discussed on here and in media circles, we could see ourselves watching a day/night (4-day) 'test championship' semi-final clash between Ireland and Afghanistan, in which a Kolpak ''batswoman cuts a wide delivery to third-woman'' before he/she is red-carded by an umpire wearing a plastic shield on arm.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    The idea of reviews is to remedy the terrible decision that sometimes (understandably) gets made. Like an LBW decision where the batsman knows he's hit it on to his pad, or a caught behind where he is sure he hasn't hit it with his bat.

At the moment we have a situation where if one is used incorrectly (but with the right intention), the team then suffers for the rest of that innings. Or if it isn't used early, then it is used frivolously when the team is 4/5/6 wickets down in the hope it can save the last batsman for no reason other than chance.

I don't like it as it's currently used and the system doesn't seem right for building good attitudes between teams and umpires. But I'm not sure what the answer is. I think that we need to get to the point where the third umpire reviews every dismissal, or we get rid of DRS altogether, for consistency's sake.
    Shri and mr_mister like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

International Vice-Captain S.Kennedy's Avatar
    The only thing I would change to the present system is, the one reviewing does not lose a review if he loses out to umpire's call.

TNT
    If they can make the system more reliable then it should be done. Its a bit sad when you see players having to make a decision about reviewing knowing it could cost the team. The whole idea of DRS is to get as many of the umpires decisions as possible right, why make it so hard to achieve what you set out to do. It is contrary to the vision the ICC had for DRS when you see them implement a rule to prevent the players from getting the best possible result.
    If you nick it walk

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hill View Post

I don't like it as it's currently used and the system doesn't seem right for building good attitudes between teams and umpires. But I'm not sure what the answer is. I think that we need to get to the point where the third umpire reviews every dismissal, or we get rid of DRS altogether, for consistency's sake.
    You would need to apply that to all appeals, if it was dismissals only then batsmen would gain an advantage over the bowlers.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Why don't we just let people in the support team handle it after looking at replays? Currently, the perception is that it is a players vs umpires thing and the idea makes the whole process more efficient. Someone can look at the TV replays quickly through a dedicated stump cam or something in real time and signal for a review based on analysis instead. That way, no one feels aggrieved at either the players or the umpires and the game can go on without any resentment building up, or at least directed at someone else off the field.

The whole system seems like players vs umpires at the moment and causes tension. I think looking at the dressing room for guidance during reviews is completely fair if both teams agree to it before hand and would like it if mundane things like this don't take focus away from a hard fought test match.
    I don't think we need to make drastic changes like this just because Kohli has a reviewing IQ of 6.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend zorax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    Is there not too much innovation being discussed already? My head is boggled by all the reforms. Every day somebody comes up with something new, ''why don't we do this...why don't we do that?''. Depending on changes to the Laws/administration currently being discussed on here and in media circles, we could see ourselves watching a day/night (4-day) 'test championship' semi-final clash between Ireland and Afghanistan, in which a Kolpak ''batswoman cuts a wide delivery to third-woman'' before he/she is red-carded by an umpire wearing a plastic shield on arm.
    I'd watch that tbh

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Should just leave it to nature and stuff. #centurymakerthoughts
    zorax, Shri, NotMcKenzie and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information