• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Openers

Best Test Openers

• Hayden & Langer

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Vaughan & Trescothick

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Sehwag & Chopra

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Richardson & Papps

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gibbs & Smith

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Atapattu & Jayasuriya

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shankar

International Debutant
An interesting question would be, if you take out the S.African and Australian pairs who's the best of the rest?

tooextracool

International Coach
marc71178 said:
How on Earth are the Indian pair only one vote behind the South Africans, and yet Vaughan and Trescothick have none?
dont u ever forget that trescothick cant bat???good god!their last good partnership came what 2 yrs ago against a horrible SL bowling attack.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Rather, how on earth did Papps and Richardson make this poll and Hinds and Gayle were left out. If memory serves correct they average around 44 with 3 hundred stands.
gayle=horrible while hinds=even worse,perhaps the luckiest player in the side and if you're the luckiest player in the WI side you know how bad you really are. and dont even try to back him up when he has averages of 26,16,19,13 against aus,eng,nz,sa respectively and when his overall average is 31. id pick papps and richardson over gayle and hinds even if theyve only played 3 tests together.

hellnback

Cricket Spectator
How on Earth are the Indian pair only one vote behind the South Africans, and yet Vaughan and Trescothick have none?
With 1.1-1.2 BILLION people in India and considering how fanatical they are about their own cricket team/players, I'm absolutely flabbergasted that they're not AHEAD in the poll.

The rest of the countries TOGETHER wouldn't get as many votes, and it's not like the average Indian cricket fan isn't blind to facts and reasonable logic.

They can be abit like the English who continued to celebrate 1966 for 37 years for some reason... apparently they have something else to celebrate now??? (j/k'ing)

Last edited:

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
shankar said:
An interesting question would be, if you take out the S.African and Australian pairs who's the best of the rest?
In regards to the best of the rest, on current form, Sehwag & Chopra. Though Sehwag is mainly getting the runs in the partnership as Chopra mainly is just playing a very defensive game.

When both players are in form, I rate the Vaughan & Trescothick a better opening partnership then the Sehwag & Chopra opening partnership as they both can score runs without having to be bogged down and playing a very defensive game like Chopra's.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
hellnback said:
With 1.1-1.2 BILLION people in India and considering how fanatical they are about their own cricket team/players, I'm absolutely flabbergasted that they're not AHEAD in the poll.

The rest of the countries TOGETHER wouldn't get as many votes, and it's not like the average Indian cricket fan isn't blind to facts and reasonable logic.

They can be abit like the English who continued to celebrate 1966 for 37 years for some reason... apparently they have something else to celebrate now??? (j/k'ing)
Many CricketWeb Indians are a discerning bunch, as are many CW Pakistanis, many CW English, many CW Austrians (heh) etc.

No terrace element here, oh no. Seats in the pavilion, cucumber sandwiches (crusts off), Assam tea with milk and sugar (two lumps please) and my copy of The Times nicely ironed, please.

wahindiawah said:
Actually the thread is about the best opners in the game and not the worst!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Pakistan has a history of cartoon version of openers.

Some interesting names are Shaiad Afridi (what a clown the guy is), then there was Wajahatuall wasti ( hope i got his spelling right) Saleem Elahi and the sleepy Mudassar Nazar.

Though they had some good too, like Anwar and Sohail.

On present openers, Farhat has limited footwork, i don't think he will be much successful at test level.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Is that a day at one of Derbyshire CCC's matches or sitting with the rich members?
No, I'm strictly 'terrace' at Derbyshire. Besides, cucumber sandwiches have a high water content, therefore there is real danger of them freezing to your hands at Derbyshire's ground in April.

What am I saying? It's freezing there in July. I'll stick to the soup and chips.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Maybe its because more people think that Sehwag and Chopra are a better pairing than Trescothick and Vaughan ?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
Maybe its because more people think that Sehwag and Chopra are a better pairing than Trescothick and Vaughan ?
Could be, could be....

Interesting to note that, if Trescothick and Vaughan have bagged no votes at all, that means that (shock horror) Marc didn't vote for them either.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Could be, could be....

Interesting to note that, if Trescothick and Vaughan have bagged no votes at all, that means that (shock horror) Marc didn't vote for them either.
i dont think marc rates trescothick either and its not like vaughan has been scoring bucket full of runs over the last yr.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
gayle=horrible while hinds=even worse,perhaps the luckiest player in the side and if you're the luckiest player in the WI side you know how bad you really are. and dont even try to back him up when he has averages of 26,16,19,13 against aus,eng,nz,sa respectively and when his overall average is 31. id pick papps and richardson over gayle and hinds even if theyve only played 3 tests together.
What does your take on Gayle's and Hinds' technique have to do with their record as openers?

And I will back Hinds. Hinds is one of the unluckiest players in the West Indies side. Have you seen Hinds bat? He's gotten so many bad decisions, I've lost count. In England he got one just about every time he batted. The fact that his technique is shot doesn't affect his ability to score runs. I'm not claimingb either Gayle or Hinds is a great batsman, but the statistics prove that they are a good opening partnership.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
i dont think marc rates trescothick either and its not like vaughan has been scoring bucket full of runs over the last yr.
It's quite possible that Marc doesn't rate them as the best opening pair, but rates them better than the Indian pair.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It's quite possible that Marc doesn't rate them as the best opening pair, but rates them better than the Indian pair.
Indeed that is so - these 2 Indians are good so far, but not done it for that long yet.

I actually would put them around a par with Trescothick and Vaughan in 3rd behind the other 2 I mentioned.

Raj123

U19 Debutant
Indeed that is so - these 2 Indians are good so far, but not done it for that long yet.
I actually would put them around a par with Trescothick and Vaughan in 3rd behind the other 2 I mentioned.
this doesnt make any sense.
i think Trescothick-Vaughan average is about 45 and sehwag-chopras is about 65(on par with the hayden-langer).
so either take into consideration that 4/7 matches were against aus(best team in world) and could(probably) only do better with others and rate them as clear 3rd best pair.

or

dont rate them at all until they play substancial amount together.

now with an average of 20 more than their england counterparts why would they be on par with them. do you expect their avg. to fall? if anything chopra hasnt fired yet so this pair could probably get even better. so this could go either way.