• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2017

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Umpired Ollie Pope a couple of times in Club cricket - didn't stand out to me (but what do I know).

I can tell you he's a good chap though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Essex can seal the County Championship in the set of fixtures starting today I believe.

Did they win it last in their golden years with Keith Fletcher, Kenny McEwan, Graham Gooch & John Lever ?

Last edited:

Groundking

International Debutant
Porter once again a tearing it up, be a travesty if Finn ends up going on the ashes tour instead of him. Stoneman is going well for Surrey which is good.

Last edited:

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Porter once again a tearing it up, be a travesty if Finn ends up going on the ashes tour instead of him. Stoneman is going well for Surrey which is good.
I've not seen him bowl. I see Cricinfo describes him as medium fast. What sort of pace does he generate?

Groundking

International Debutant
I've not seen him bowl. I see Cricinfo describes him as medium fast. What sort of pace does he generate?
He's been hitting 80 in this match so far, has been willing to keep it pitched up and is bowling good lines. Can't comment on the rest of the season but his record speaks for itself.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
New Road has got to be the worst wicket in county cricket. Keeper and slips standing so close to Tongue who isn't slow and is tall. Just so slow. Doesn't produce good cricket or cricketers.

Ashwin commented on his debut about how slow the wicket is. Credit to Ashwin for taking 8 wickets that game.

Excerpt from cricinfo on that game.

The day was meant to be about R Ashwin. The pitch had been prepared for him - this is the third time it has been used this season - and, by the time he was introduced into the attack, just before lunch on the second day, the stage was set for a key contribution.

It was not quite to be. Nicely though he bowled and often as he troubled the batsmen - initially at least - Ashwin was forced to work hard to make an impact. The pitch, though dry, offered him very little - he described it as "extremely slow" with an expression that made it clear that was no compliment - and, even when the edge was taken, the fielders struggled to cling on to some tough chances. There was no lack of effort and no lack of variations, but there really wasn't much help for him here.

theegyptian

He's been hitting 80 in this match so far, has been willing to keep it pitched up and is bowling good lines. Can't comment on the rest of the season but his record speaks for itself.
Always wary of picking guys with basicaly no experience of foreign conditions so I wouldn't be picking Porter this winter. Bowled really nicely today with the new ball, and can see why he's been so successful. Bowls full and kisses the surface with nip in and out. Personally can't see his bowling transitioning well to Aus conditions at this point. Lacks the pace and experience of bowling with the kookaburra ball on flat wickets. Likely lions tour imo.

Groundking

International Debutant
Always wary of picking guys with basicaly no experience of foreign conditions so I wouldn't be picking Porter this winter. Bowled really nicely today with the new ball, and can see why he's been so successful. Bowls full and kisses the surface with nip in and out. Personally can't see his bowling transitioning well to Aus conditions at this point. Lacks the pace and experience of bowling with the kookaburra ball on flat wickets. Likely lions tour imo.
No I can't either, but what kind of ****** message are you sending if you're picking Finn who's lost the plot ahead of him?

theegyptian

Contrasting fortunes for Stoneman and Borthwick since leaving Durham. Stoneman very likely in the ashes squad and team. Borthwick didn't even make Surrey's squad of 13 for this game. Academy players Pope and Patel, who've both done well, playing in Borthwick's absence.

Look out for Henry Brookes of Warwickshire in this televised game if he gets much of a bowl. Is raw but certainly has the qualities to be an england prospect in future.

Groundking

International Debutant
Contrasting fortunes for Stoneman and Borthwick since leaving Durham. Stoneman very likely in the ashes squad and team. Borthwick didn't even make Surrey's squad of 13 for this game. Academy players Pope and Patel, who've both done well, playing in Borthwick's absence.

Look out for Henry Brookes of Warwickshire in this televised game if he gets much of a bowl. Is raw but certainly has the qualities to be an england prospect in future.
Good chance Rocky will pass 1k runs at 60+ for the season (the BBC averages don't update until the match is finished right? if so he's on 941 runs @ 67 taking into account his current innings)

theegyptian

No I can't either, but what kind of ****** message are you sending if you're picking Finn who's lost the plot ahead of him?
I'd rather Finn than Porter in Aus, although I wouldn't be selecting either. Finn is the more likely to put in a test quality performance or run of games in those conditions imo. It's sending the message that conditions in Eng domestic cricket and Aus test cricket are vastly different - and that young players need to build up their experiences of playing in foreign conditions.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Saw Porter up in Scarborough. He looked decent, prepared to throw the ball up there - most balls would have been hitting the stumps in terms of length (was watching from side on).

Groundking

International Debutant
I'd rather Finn than Porter in Aus, although I wouldn't be selecting either. Finn is the more likely to put in a test quality performance or run of games in those conditions imo. It's sending the message that conditions in Eng domestic cricket and Aus test cricket are vastly different - and that young players need to build up their experiences of playing in foreign conditions.
Last time out in test cricket he was crap offering little threat and went for runs, is currently averagin 37 in the CC with best figures 4-51. This is not a guy that's going to put in a test quality performance in Australia mate. At least with Porter you're picking somebody with form and confidence behind him. I'd rather pick the form player every single day of the week, especially when the chasm in form is so huge. I do agree that young players need to build up experience in foreign conditions, but that's why we have warm up games, you can quickly make a decission on whether or not a player is simply no where near ready enough from warm up games.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Can't remember seeing an uglier action than Keith Barker's for a while.

That Parkinson lad doing well, the little highlights they've shown looked very impressive. Nice drift and turn and he has a very good record in the T20 stuff this season. Promising!

AndrewB

Essex can seal the County Championship in the set of fixtures starting today I believe.

Did they win it last in their golden years with Keith Fletcher, Kenny McEwan, Graham Gooch & John Lever ?
They last won it in 1991 and 1992, with only Gooch still playing of those four.

S.Kennedy

Surrey promised the earth regarding his leg-spin apparently and he bowled less overs than he ever did for Durham! That was apparently the clincher in the Scotty Borthwick move, bringing on his leg-breaks! Good player also; struggled with that 'bits and pieces' dilemma though, sort of like M. Ali in reverse in that he wants to be a spin-bowler but his batting, number three role, took off.