• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2017

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Durham are bogged down.

Yeah I meant Malcolm Marshall, not Andy Roberts my bad.

Jeff Thompson I can believe but his action was so unique, and those numbers you have posted sort of prove my point. Andy Roberts topping out at 93 MPH rather than the ridiculous 99 MPH suggestions rather than S.Kennedy pretending they are bowling at the speed of light.

The West Indies team of the 80s being the fittest cricket team of all time is again such a delusional statement. It's like cricket hasn't changed since 1989.
I'm not pretending anything. You can view the footage yourself. Proof is in the pudding as they say.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Durham are bogged down.

I'm not pretending anything. You can view the footage yourself. Proof is in the pudding as they say.
The footage of what? Vast majority of modern cricket teams are fitter, stronger and quicker than the Windies in their pompt.

S.Kennedy

The footage of what? Vast majority of modern cricket teams are fitter, stronger and quicker than the Windies in their pompt.
Well that is just your opinion, isn't it?

Tell me: do we include the great Australia side c. 1995 - 2004, with the great Shane Warne, in equation?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is Mason Crane going to be confirmed as the greatest player of all time by next year or the year after, do you think?

https://twitter.com/ECB_cricket/status/844824795950735360

He is a 20-year old with a bowling average of 39, so I suspect it may only be the year after next, but pinning any and all hopes on the next messiah to come through English cricket has never let me down before so it's bound to happen this time

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I meant Malcolm Marshall, not Andy Roberts my bad.

Jeff Thompson I can believe but his action was so unique, and those numbers you have posted sort of prove my point. Andy Roberts topping out at 93 MPH rather than the ridiculous 99 MPH suggestions rather than S.Kennedy pretending they are bowling at the speed of light.

The West Indies team of the 80s being the fittest cricket team of all time is again such a delusional statement. It's like cricket hasn't changed since 1989.
That speed was only measured in one match though. Brett Lee sometimes went whole matches or even series without getting close speed of which he was capable, and there's usually only one or two bowlers in international cricket who hit such kinds of pace. Aside from the 159.49 km/h (which was from Dennis Lillee's book apparently) for Roberts I've also found a 157.4 from 1976. You're forgetting that bowlers these days bowl significantly less that they use to (and in a more spread schedule that is not as good for recovery) and that the most reliable way to be fit to bowl is to bowl. Marshall was a very stocky guy who used go on runs with sandbags tied around his legs to stay fit. I don't see why he couldn't bowl a Johnson sort of pace. Everybody who saw him or played against him says he did.

S.Kennedy

Durham's batting is absolute ****e. Michael Richardson is a player who only ever averaged 34 at his absolute best ( in red ball) and was dreadfully out of form last season. Graham Clark; now I have been going to see Durham play for a few years now and even I struggle to remember his name. Burnham made a half century at Scarborough and a few decent knocks for the England under 19s a few years ago and since then has done bugger all. Pringle is a bits and pieces player. I'm not really sure what his role is really? A spinning all rounder perhaps, except he bowls like a part timer. Only Durham's new seamers are impressive, particularly Carse and Weighell; they seemed to be around 88mph and were economic. Very good bowling chaps.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That speed was only measured in one match though. Brett Lee sometimes went whole matches or even series without getting close speed of which he was capable, and there's usually only one or two bowlers in international cricket who hit such kinds of pace. Aside from the 159.49 km/h (which was from Dennis Lillee's book apparently) for Roberts I've also found a 157.4 from 1976. You're forgetting that bowlers these days bowl significantly less that they use to (and in a more spread schedule that is not as good for recovery) and that the most reliable way to be fit to bowl is to bowl. Marshall was a very stocky guy who used go on runs with sandbags tied around his legs to stay fit. I don't see why he couldn't bowl a Johnson sort of pace. Everybody who saw him or played against him says he did.
I played against Marshall in grade cricket after his retirement and he was still very rapid

No doubt that he was capable of bowling 150k + at his peak

S.Kennedy

A chap writing for The Cricketer produced this 2017 predictions,

Yorks
Middx
Surrey
Warwks
Essex
Som
Lancs
Hants

Notts
Sussex
Durham
Worcs
Kent
Glos
Leics
Northants
Derbys
Glam
Cannot disagree too much with the prediction really, although I would have Somerset/Lancashire higher, and Surrey/Warwickshire lower. (I've discovered to my cost that you should never predict Warwickshire to win the championship: look great on paper but they never put it all together for some odd reason.) Division Two, 'three' would mean Durham would have performed out of their skins considering the penalty (I'm not sure I'm that optimistic). Notts are a decent punt to yo-yo back up. I would probably have Kent higher, though I agree that Sussex (another yo-yo team) and to a lesser degree Worcs (if Hastings remains fit) could mount a decent challenge.

S.Kennedy

graves no doubt conspiring to ensure yorkshire win the title.
I'm not so sure about that considering the ECB are being wankers about the Rugby stand at Headingley, threatening to deprive their test status if it is not rebuilt, and (again) mysteriously stopping Bairstow (and Root) from playing (opening) fixtures for no apparent reason.

Yorkshire should be the only club unhappy with the players released (or not) for their counties. Even Mark Wood, a knackered job, can play the whole opening bout of Championship/List A fixtures!! I thought 'White Ball Andy' would have at least deprived him the Championship fixtures.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Helm breaks through. I can totally see him going on the ashes tour next winter if he can stay fit for enough of the summer. Crane has a good chance too now that Bayliss has seem him do well, and won't be able to resist a leggie.

theegyptian

Duckett his normal freewheeling style.

Lees wasn't very impressive. Seems to have got away from the composed opener and looking to be more like the Hayden/Warner opening bat but without the control. Really going hard at the ball with his hands way in front of his body against the pace bowlers. No control on lots of his big drives. Ball was flying everywhere in the air early on.

Ravi Patel bowled pretty well I thought. Had a struggle for a couple of years but seems to have regained some of his revs and flight.