• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Give them all a medal

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After 05, that Australian team was always going to be extremely motivated, but the nature and extent of the celebrations and recognition probably motivated them a little bit more (not that I really blame England for getting caught up in it. It was a long time between drinks).

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
After 05, that Australian team was always going to be extremely motivated, but the nature and extent of the celebrations and recognition probably motivated them a little bit more (not that I really blame England for getting caught up in it. It was a long time between drinks).
The Aussies - it might have been Warne - said something like, ''why didn't we get MBEs for beating you guys for the last 16 years''.

I have to admit they had a point.

Also the Collingwood thing. ''A MBE for 17 runs''. Future sledge material right there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This is very helpful. Not only have past champions been acknowledged, but more importantly, we can now tell the real AB from the impostor merely by way of which one has the medal. What a gun moment. This was singularly the moment when Australia stopped being pushovers in all forms of cricket for near over two decades
The real one already had a medal named after him...

Victor Ian

International Coach
Interesting thought. Suppose we went back and awarded Allan Border medals all the way to 1978. How many Allan Border medals would Allan Border have won?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Contenders for each year by looking at good yearly figures for each year in both test and odi cricket.

1979: Hughes, Border - Border 1st medal
1980: Border, Chappell, Hughes, Lillee - probably Lillee
1981: Border, Hughes, Lillee - Lillee (fmd - he got 85 wickets in 13 tests)
1982: Border, Chappell, Yardley, Thompson, Lawson - Border scrapes it
1983: Border, Yallop - Yallop
1984: Border, Lawson - Border
1985: Border, McDermott, Lawson - Border again
1986: Border, Boon - Border again
1987: Border, Jones, McDermott - Border just gets it
1988: Boon, Border - giving it to Boonie
1989: Jones, Taylor, Waugh, Alderman - Alderman
1990: Jones, Taylor, Alderman, Hughes - Jones
1991: Marsh, Boon, M Waugh - M Waugh
1992: Boon - Boon
1993: M Waugh, S Waugh, Warne - Warne
1994: M Waugh, Warne - Warne
1995: Warne, McGrath - McGrath
1996: M Waugh, S Waugh, Warne, McGrath - McGrath
1997: M Waugh, Warne - Warne
1998: M Waugh, S Waugh - M Waugh
1999: Ponting, S Waugh, Warne, McGrath - McGrath
2000: Glenn McGrath
2001: Steve Waugh
2002: Matthew Hayden
2003: Adam Gilchrist
2004: Ricky Ponting
2005: Michael Clarke
2006: Ricky Ponting
2007: Ricky Ponting
2008: Brett Lee
20091: Ricky Ponting and Michael Clarke
2010: Shane Watson
2011: Shane Watson
2012: Michael Clarke
2013: Michael Clarke
2014: Mitchell Johnson
2015: Steve Smith
2016: David Warner
2017: David Warner

That makes 6 for Border - probably 5 if I split the two that were close, but probably not because I like 6 better.
McGrath joins Ponting and Clarke with 4 - Warne on 3. M Waugh with 2 edges Steve
Anyone care to dispute these?

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
Do we have any 'experts' here that would care to interrogate my retrospective AB medal list? I tried to be fair in my guesses but could easily be wrong on some. I believe AB medal has a test component weighted heavier, an ODI component and a media component. ie, if any player is a media pet that might get them over the line in close ones.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Do we have any 'experts' here that would care to interrogate my retrospective AB medal list? I tried to be fair in my guesses but could easily be wrong on some. I believe AB medal has a test component weighted heavier, an ODI component and a media component. ie, if any player is a media pet that might get them over the line in close ones.
Rodney Hogg would have been a good shout for an AB medal in the late 70's

Victor Ian

International Coach
Good calls.
I missed Wessels. My best friend's sister used to fawn over him so much, that this is all I remember of him. In 84 he was a good shout but Border had enough of a better test year that I think he just edged it, though I think Wessels was a media favourite then so it would have run close perhaps.
In 79 Hogg was pretty good but Border was also pretty good in test that year. Because of the tendency of batsman to win, unless the bowler has a blinder, I went with Border.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Dean Jones might've grabbed a couple off him based on big ODI performances + solid test performances.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Good calls.
In 79 Hogg was pretty good but Border was also pretty good in test that year. Because of the tendency of batsman to win, unless the bowler has a blinder, I went with Border.
Hogg did have a blinder in 1978/79 so wins easily

8 Tests vs Eng and Pak at home with 51 wkts @ 15.37

Victor Ian

International Coach
Hogg did have a blinder in 1978/79 so wins easily

8 Tests vs Eng and Pak at home with 51 wkts @ 15.37
the AB medal would have classified that as 1978 season (certainly the first three test where he took 7, 10 & 10 wickets). In what would classify as the 1979 season. Hogg would only have had two great tests in that year (the first two, before being a bit of nothing for the rest of the year - apart from one 4wkt innings in India. He might have only had a couple of ODI where he pulled votes and missed a few of the others such as the world cup. I don't think Hogg gets it due to bad luck in timing.

That is an awesome beginning for Hogg. By the time I had started watching I recall someone saying to me how good Hogg was and I was disappointed when I watched and he did nothing.

Last edited:

burr

State Vice-Captain
They're clearly weighting something wrong seeing Warner won for such an underwhelming test year. Actually, they should add an up-lift for OS test centuries. That way, he'd never win.

Spark

Global Moderator
They're clearly weighting something wrong seeing Warner won for such an underwhelming test year. Actually, they should add an up-lift for OS test centuries. That way, he'd never win.
He had a ridiculous year in ODIs and it's not as if anyone else stood out that much in Tests. Starc won the Test gong and you wouldn't say he had an amazing year.