• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two spinners for the Aussies in Adelaide?

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well the question's been raised by more influential judges than I, and I seriously doubt that the selectors will change the squad...but if a second spinner is chosen, who will it be?

I doubt that it will be Miller (Vic) or MacGill (NSW) as they are both out of form, Hauritz (Qld) is too young and McIntyre (SA) is too old. What odds a Test recall for Brad Hogg? :)

Ross

Cricket Spectator
The real question is who would be dropped? McGrath and Warne have been in poor form but both are champion bowlers who will definetly bounce back. Meanwhile Lee and Gillespie were Australia's best bowlers againt New Zealand and would be incredibly unlucky to be dropped. I guess they could go in with 5 bowlers, but then which batsmen gets dropped? Damien Martyn would probably be the only possible choice, yet he didn't play terribly against the Kiwis and he's just had a sensational tour of England.

If Australia plays two spinners then the player that gets dropped would have to be considered very unlucky. The spinners in Australia (including Warne) are in such poor form that even on a turning wicket Lee, Gillespie and McGrath would be better picks. I think they'll stick with the side they currently have.

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Umm Damien Martyn? Basically the whole middle order had 2 shockers, and then bounced back in the 3rd test, which he did scoring 60 and 30.

Plus you have to remember since being back in Test Cricket he has lifted his average from in the 20's to at one point over 50 (at the start of this series he was)

DONT DROP MARTYN!!!!

(btw I am incredibly biased ;))

Andre

International Regular
4 the spinners, i recon its out of macgill and Brad Young.
Long shots Hogg, Haurtiz and Dan Marsh

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Brad Yound is pretty bad, he bowled 0/50 something against the NZ'ers for the PM's XI. I can also recall him playing a few ODI's for Australia between 97-98.

I think he played in the Commonweath Games silver medal squad actually....

Dingo

brad young picked up a hat-trick against NZ in that commonwealth games series, which was good to see...but if anyone gets dropped it would be martyn.

and i don't see the aussies picking a non-allrounder spinner because they can't afford to drop gillespie or lee as both can handle the bat.

Dingo

Well MacGill has been named and I am very disappointed to say the least....he is now almost certainly 12th man for two simple reasons - 1) Steve Waugh doesn't like him 2)Shane Warne doesn't like him...

Andre

International Regular
macgill deserves another go....never seen shane warne takin time out 2 help kids at things like coachin clinics...met warne and macgill and macgill is deffo better bloke

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its been widely publicised in Australia how MacGill is usually separated from the team, it basically started cos Warney felt insecure about his position and Steve Waugh like Shane Warne.....

Dingo

james - warne doesn't like macgill because warne sees macgill as a threat to his position (witness his comeback from shoulder surgery in late 1998) and because it would be tough to find two more different spinners in australia than warne and macgill.

as to why steve waugh doesn't like macgill...well your guess is as good as mine :)

kezzalee

Cricket Spectator
i say give the bowlers a go and get rid of one of the batters, prolly martyn or mark waugh 'cos altho he is a good player, he hasn't been playin' all that great in the last couple of matches. our bowlers haven't really been up 2 scratch either, so chuck another one in the mix and see wat happens.

one of the worst things about australian cricket is we have so many great players it really is hard 2 pick the best possible team. (hehe - thank god i'm not a selector!!!)

Gob

International Coach
Dropping Martyn after finally establishing himself was madness. Definitely go with Lee over McGill with steve Waugh bowling some seam up as first change

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Christ, Brad Young being spoken about as a potential test player is quite something

Interestingly enough his son is playing first grade here in Adelaide these days, actually looks reasonable from the little bit of him I have seen. A right arm offie, unlike his old man