• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now is the time: Who is Pakistan's best batsman? Miandad vs. Inzamam vs. Younis Khan

subshakerz

International Coach
Javed
Inzi
Younis

Younis the more consistent, of course, but Inzi more likely to frighten the best bowlers in the oppo so I'd be more likely to pick him in a Pak XI vs World XI game or something.
Inzi never struck me as someone who the oppo was terribly intimidated by or rated that highly. Recall his performances in Australia in 2004 and in the World XI test in 2005 when he caved into pressure.

Younis may not cause the oppo to fear but certainly he gives an image of being 'the man' between defeat and victory. And certainly handled bounce better than Inzi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgUgNnvSgIY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xokjGHZePI

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2004 he was injured after the first Test and, although it's often hard to tell with big Inzi, his movement in that game sorta suggests he'd already done his back.

And yeah nailed by a 153.4Km/h in-swinging yorker second ball. What a putz.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Younis is Pakistan's best Test batsman. Period. No comparison, no debate. No other Pakistani test batsman has been as prolific and consistent a run scorer. No other Pakistani batsman even had as much hunger and focus for big daddy hundreds as YK. Miandad and Abbas come close but from 90s onwards, very very few Pakistani batsmen got big hundreds consistently.

Where he stands in the pantheon of great Pakistani batsmen? That I feel given the cricket culture in Pakistan will encompass a lot of other factors besides excellence in Test cricket and that's where YK will fall behind Miandad and Inzy in Pakistani cricket culture.

Both Miandad and Inzy have major contributions/are remembered for 92 World Cup. YK was the captain of Pakistan World T20 09 success but with minimum contribution and that tournament is mainly remembered for Afridi 8-)
YK knew this which is why he so desperately wanted to remain part of the ODI side and make an impact in the World Cup 2015. He even spoke of his ambition of playing the role Miandad did in 92. Alas it was not to be. The LO version of the game had changed far too much for a 40 year old to make an impact.

Besides that, Miandad's place among the pantheon of Pakistani greats is established for his contributions towards building the team in the 80s and playing a key role in it's major achievements including the last ball 6 against India whose impact in Pakistani cricket is immeasurable.

Now YK I would argue played an equally important role in the resurgence of Pakistan cricket and building the team after the twin shocks of 2009 Terrorist attacks and 2010 spot fixing scandal which tore apart Pakistan cricket.

He along with Misbah was instrumental in building the team from scratch, build a fortress in the UAE and also achieve the number 1 ranking.

Unfortunately this era coincided with the overall change in cricket power structures and Pakistan not playing at home contributing to the second tier stats of Pakistan team. This team just never got the attention or recognition and YK as a player will always remain undervalued. Plus the lack of emphasis on test cricket in his own country and the dumb masses means that his achievements or status as Pakistan's greatest Test batsman will always be a footnote to Afridi's biggest sixes.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Me and dad by a distance.

You just can't compare the others eras with his and think they were anywhere near as difficult.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I also feel that Younis has made it as the Pakistani GOAT, he doesn't look quite as talented as either of the two other names mentioned in the title but he has outdone them with grit and hardwork. I also value longevity a lot and Younis is as good as anyones else in that aspect. He is an ATG batsmen , a shade below Tendulkar/Lara and maybe Ponting/Sanga but up there with Dravid and Kallis.

veganbob

U19 Captain
That was kind of the point I was making. People don't seem to have an appreciation that hardly any batsmen averaged in the 50s in the 70s, 80s & early 90s. To compare Mo Yo's record with Miandad thinking it's a fair thing to compare shows a lack of understanding about the different eras, & the bowlers they faced.

I think batsmen are just better now though. If you are gonna downscale batting averages of today then you have to consider some of the bowlers from the past were overrated too. The overall quality of batting now is way better.

So if you are gonna minus 5 average on batsmen of the 2000s to now, you have to minus 3 on the likes of mcgrath and steyn bowling. Which eould comfortably put them ahead of the lilles and hadlees.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Me and dad by a distance.

You just can't compare the others eras with his and think they were anywhere near as difficult.

If you are gonna punish current batsmen you have to punish bowlers from the 80s and 90s for facing poor batting. You are delusional if you dont think batting hasn't improved. I think the standard of cricket is better now. Its just more skewed towards batting than bowling. Watch full replays of the batting from the 80s and you will forget nostalgia. It was nowhere as good as now.

TheJediBrah

Yousuf Youhana > Inzy or Younis Khan

Just from watching him bat it's clear. Also Younis seems to have played on so many roads in his career for some reason.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Younis is Pakistan's best Test batsman. Period. No comparison, no debate. No other Pakistani test batsman has been as prolific and consistent a run scorer. No other Pakistani batsman even had as much hunger and focus for big daddy hundreds as YK. Miandad and Abbas come close but from 90s onwards, very very few Pakistani batsmen got big hundreds consistently.

Where he stands in the pantheon of great Pakistani batsmen? That I feel given the cricket culture in Pakistan will encompass a lot of other factors besides excellence in Test cricket and that's where YK will fall behind Miandad and Inzy in Pakistani cricket culture.

Both Miandad and Inzy have major contributions/are remembered for 92 World Cup. YK was the captain of Pakistan World T20 09 success but with minimum contribution and that tournament is mainly remembered for Afridi 8-)
YK knew this which is why he so desperately wanted to remain part of the ODI side and make an impact in the World Cup 2015. He even spoke of his ambition of playing the role Miandad did in 92. Alas it was not to be. The LO version of the game had changed far too much for a 40 year old to make an impact.

Besides that, Miandad's place among the pantheon of Pakistani greats is established for his contributions towards building the team in the 80s and playing a key role in it's major achievements including the last ball 6 against India whose impact in Pakistani cricket is immeasurable.

Now YK I would argue played an equally important role in the resurgence of Pakistan cricket and building the team after the twin shocks of 2009 Terrorist attacks and 2010 spot fixing scandal which tore apart Pakistan cricket.

He along with Misbah was instrumental in building the team from scratch, build a fortress in the UAE and also achieve the number 1 ranking.

Unfortunately this era coincided with the overall change in cricket power structures and Pakistan not playing at home contributing to the second tier stats of Pakistan team. This team just never got the attention or recognition and YK as a player will always remain undervalued. Plus the lack of emphasis on test cricket in his own country and the dumb masses means that his achievements or status as Pakistan's greatest Test batsman will always be a footnote to Afridi's biggest sixes.
That's a lot of waffle for something that doesn't require a debate.

Miandad wins, as much as I despise the repulsive little twerp.