• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing skills that fascinate you

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The wrist snap is the issue I think. Have not played any baseball but doesn't that ball also drift and hence those curve pitches or whatever they call them?

cnerd123

likes this
Yea maybe we cricketers just got or throwing technique all wrong. I know that in general the average cricketer doesn't use their full body to throw the ball the way a baseballer does, part of the coaching certification course I did was emphasizing the correct technique as to optimise power and reduce injury, but I don't recall anything being said about the wrist snap. Maybe we shouldn't be doing that?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think at lower levels cricketers don't focus on their lower body as much when throwing. All about the shoulder.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
and the wrist snap can happen just out of routine that players get into, I think. Back in my school practice sessions, I used to throw down to the batters when I was not keeping and the back up guy was practicing (we had only one full set of keeper stuff) and I tried to chuck down a lot of leg breaks then. Whenever I ended up fielding, there was a bit of wrist snap that way out of sheer force of habit.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They don't work on it hard enough, probably due to other priorities. Reckon most baseball players would throw down the stumps with Ponting levels of regularity simply because they throw all day.
In a controlled environment (throwing from standing start), most of the international cricketers would hit one stump from fifteen metres away 30% of the time. John Buchanan had the Australians going around 60-70% at one stage, via testing.

Hard to control in the heat of the moment though. It drifts if you throw it with the seam at any sort of angle and with a nice wrist snap.
Most guys are able to move the ball in their hand in the time between grabbing it and throwing it. Shouldn't really drift over the infield distance - it will from outside of that though.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In a controlled environment (throwing from standing start), most of the international cricketers would hit one stump from fifteen metres away 30% of the time. John Buchanan had the Australians going around 60-70% at one stage, via testing.
Baseballers don't just stand around and throw either though, not talking about a pitcher here.

Burner

International Regular
This is a classic example where reputation overrides the reality..........Warner has been on a shocking streak for knocking the stumps down of late.
Might be true and I haven't watched Aus' recent games but oddly still I have an image of Warner throwing down the stumps in my mind.