• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Abrasive characters

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Spend a few minutes with Herschelle Gibbs and Makhaya Ntini :)
A bit too much of a generalisation perhaps (and I'd forgotten about Ntini). Did you hear about Pollock's LBW "appeal" in the closing stages of the 2nd test?

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Langeveldt said:
Spend a few minutes with Herschelle Gibbs and Makhaya Ntini :)
One took bookmakers money (and should have been banned for life) and the other was once convicted of rape.
What a pair of charmers. And you think these are the most endearing South Africans?

Langeveldt

Soutie
raju said:
One took bookmakers money (and should have been banned for life) and the other was once convicted of rape.
What a pair of charmers. And you think these are the most endearing South Africans?
Ntini was accused, but not found guilty...

So what anyway? So you are saying that a guy who has done something wrong previously in life cannot be a nice bloke?? Unbelievable, lets hope all your friends are whiter than white, and yes they are the most endearing South Africans,.....

masterblaster

International Captain
I wouldn't mind having a drink with any cricketer really, its a really unique opportunity to see how they work and what they do for a living.

Id love to see what makes Ganguly tick, as im sure a lot of people would.

Craig

World Traveller
I would like to chat to Brian Lara and see what is like to go out there time and time after again having to bat for entire region and the entire team on occasions.

I wouldnt mind having a talk with Wasim Akram (the best bowler I have ever seen) and Muttiah Muralitharan to see how he ignores all those chucking stants against him.

And Courtney Walsh as well because I share his same surname :D

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I would love to talk to Parthiv Patel and find out what exactly he constantly is yelling at his teammates. It intrigues me. And of course, well God himself.
Akthar is someone who strikes me as "abrasive" (could be just the firey fast bowler thing), and also Ganguly for some reason.
But then, they are probably decent guys.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Linda said:

Akthar is someone who strikes me as "abrasive" (could be just the firey fast bowler thing), and also Ganguly for some reason.
But then, they are probably decent guys.

I think Shoaib is a genuinely arrogant guy, Ive never known someone speak such ******** sometimes.... Id love to see if he was really like that off the field...

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Stuart MacGill strikes me as someone I'd rather not have a beer with. He's the only one that really jumps out at me

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
bennyr said:
Stuart MacGill strikes me as someone I'd rather not have a beer with. He's the only one that really jumps out at me
Bah, Stuart MacGill is a nice bloke. Or so he seemed when he sat outside the dressing room for half a day, signing autographs in Darwin, during Austrlia v Bangladesh test match.

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
I think Shoaib is a genuinely arrogant guy, Ive never known someone speak such ******** sometimes.... Id love to see if he was really like that off the field...
Hes not hes pretty polite. Inzi is the friendliest though.

Lora

Cricket Spectator
I read somewhere, from someone who'd met him, that Damien Martyn is quite arrogant and aloof... but I can't comment from personal experience.

If I ever had to sit down for a pint with Shane Warne, he'd probably end up wearing it. He annoys me immensely. Thats a personal thing though.

But I think most cricketers would be a laugh to sit down with for a drink - after all they're going to have amazing experiences and stories to tell and advice to pas on (I wouldn't be able to pick up any tips from them unless they are world class scorers too).

Although not a cricketer - Andrew Walpole, media relations officer for the ECB, would be quite cool. I like his job because as well as combining the cricket and the media in one, he gets to be a part of the team and watch the relationships and interactions between players and staff.

And I've always said if I was stuck in a lift, Adam Hollioake would be one of the people I'd like to be stuck with (and a lift technican of course) as he's come through a lot off the pitch and achieved a lot on it.

Flintoff and Ramps would be good, see if you ca drink them under the table ;)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm thanks for the replies!

Cricketers I wouldnt mind being stuck in a lift with

Mark Butcher
Makhaya Ntini
Herschelle Gibbs
Jonty Rhodes
Allan Donald

I cant think of any cricketers I wouldnt like being with.. thats why I made this thread for some inspiration...

iamdavid

International Debutant
Id love to have a chat with Mark Waugh , he just seems to have so much knowledge about all the characters involved with cricket , also a very honest down to earth sort of guy.

Of the ones I have spoken to Ronnie Irani came across as a very nice guy , interested in having a chat with anyone.

As for the ones I wouldnt wanna share a drink with I can really only think of one ....... Brad Williams.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
I cant think of any cricketers I wouldnt like being with..
Heh heh heh, he said "being with"... :P

So far as Akhtar goes, he's practically a hero out here - I remember on the last Pakistan tour of Australia, he saved a child from in front of a bus or something.

Cricketers I'd like to meet: Steve Waugh, Brian Lara, Waqar Younis, Chris Cairns, Murali - mainly because there would be interesting things to discuss with them outside of just their performances in the game.

Craig

World Traveller
Neil McKenzie, Boata Dippenaar (I'm probably one of their biggest supports on this site), Andy Flower, Henry Olonga, Allan Donald, Darren Gough (just love his attitude to bowling) and the soon to be England's greatest ever batsman Rikki Clarke are other people I also wouldnt mind chating to.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lora said:
If I ever had to sit down for a pint with Shane Warne, he'd probably end up wearing it.
If you ever sat down for a pint with him, chances are you'd end up receiving an endless stream of explicit Text Messages from him ;) :lol: