• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ryan Harris v Stuart Clark

who was the better bowler?

• Total voters

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Happy to be proven wrong. I had thought he had simply just ended up being saw off by batsmen who could deal with his accuracy and the wickets stopped coming.

He stopped playing at, what, age 34 or so? Tests anyway.
Nah I think you must have imagined this, or be thinking of someone else. He never really lost effectiveness during his career (as a Test average of 23 shows), other bowlers were just preferred ahead of him after 2009.

He was always a **** ODI bowler IIRC, used to get slapped all over the place by good batsmen

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nah I think you must have imagined this, or be thinking of someone else. He never really lost effectiveness during his career (as a Test average of 23 shows), other bowlers were just preferred ahead of him after 2009.

He was always a **** ODI bowler IIRC, used to get slapped all over the place by good batsmen
Yeah may be mistaking him from someone else. I did a quick look up earlier and in his last couple of years, his average started going north from his excellent late teens/low 20s in the years prior.

Spikey

was clark a late bloomer too?

i saw him play a few times live in 2005 for middlesex and was incredibly underwhelmed.

18 months later he was wrecking england.
I think Clark happened to peak when he played for Australia, but he wasn't a late bloomer really. He had a 45 wicket shield season 5 odd years before his test debut (and also he averaged 25 for Middlesex!)

morgieb

I think Clark happened to peak when he played for Australia, but he wasn't a late bloomer really. He had a 45 wicket shield season 5 odd years before his test debut (and also he averaged 25 for Middlesex!)
Wasn't he like 24/25 before he properly cracked Shield cricket?

Spikey

he debuted around 21-22. I think taking awhile to crack it while in your early 20's is a bit different to becoming a totally different bowler like harris did.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As international bowlers, Harris by a small but clear margin over Clarke. It helps that Harris didn't have a down turn at the end of his career like Clarke did.

adub

International Captain
Love me some Sarfraz and if you were talking about at Shield level over their entire careers then he wins and pretty comfortably.

But once he finally got to Tests Rhino was a ****ing beast. Those couple of years he was better than almost anyone ever. If only he could have peaked 5 years earlier and wasn't made with papier mache knees.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Harris, more or less was the attack leader which Clark never really was. His bowling allowed Johnson to become scary Johnson.

Burgey

Rhino was gun his whole, late-starting, international career whereas Clark broke onto the scene, cleaned up for a couple of years then iirc got worked out/became very ineffective, very quickly.
He didn't get worked out, he got injured.

Burgey

lol yes. I didn't scroll down to the bottom of the page before posting.

That's how I (sc)roll.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread just reminded me of how much I miss Rhino. Such a gun bowler and a great bloke too. Have a story I'll write up later.

TheJediBrah

Whatever happened to Clarke's bowling?
got worked out

edit: Seriously though, assuming you're talking about Pup, his back was ****ed for most of the last 2/3 of his career and bowling was a very tough proposition for him

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So when Harris was injured and unable to bowl, he was able to play first grade T20 as a batsman. Our team (featuring Uzman and Wildermuth) played Toombul (featuring Boyce and Harris). Both clubs had a lot of people turn out for the match. After we had won, Harris thanked everyone who showed up and was genuinely grateful to the crowd. I think he even signed a few autographs as well. Was a genuinely nice bloke, gracious in defeat and really seemed to enjoy his cricket.

Daemon

So when Harris was injured and unable to bowl, he was able to play first grade T20 as a batsman. Our team (featuring Uzman and Wildermuth) played Toombul (featuring Boyce and Harris). Both clubs had a lot of people turn out for the match. After we had won, Harris thanked everyone who showed up and was genuinely grateful to the crowd. I think he even signed a few autographs as well. Was a genuinely nice bloke, gracious in defeat and really seemed to enjoy his cricket.
Well that settles it then