• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 Greatest Test Crickters Of All Time

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Who would be the highest ranking Englishman (I genuinely mean that term, so no KP) in an atg list?

for my money, it's Botham.
Any of these:

SF Barnes
Hobbs
Hammond
Hutton
Botham
Rhodes
Underwood
Laker
Trueman
May
Woolley
Knott

listento_me

U19 Captain

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd probably pick Hammond tbh.
This.

For Indian fans, would you pick Sachin or Kapil? I think most other countries greatest players would be obvious i.e Bradman, Sobers, Kallis, Imran, Murali (could make a case for Sanga), Shakib, Hadlee, Flower

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's a list of names but gun to your heads, who would you pick if you could only pick one?

Hobbs will certainly get a big shout out but Botham for his all round brilliance has to be numero uno.
Not even close, Botham's garbage 2nd half of his career from about 1985-1992 where he averaged 23 with the bat & 41 with the ball take him out of the running when you're talking about England's very finest Test players of all time sorry.

If you were looking at peak 6-7 year periods though, Botham would be up there.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That's a list of names but gun to your heads, who would you pick if you could only pick one?

Hobbs will certainly get a big shout out but Botham for his all round brilliance has to be numero uno.
It'd be one of Hobbs, Hutton, Hammond or SF Barnes. As good as Botham was, the fact that he got overweight and lazy really ****s me because i'd kill to have had half his talent.

Actually can't split those four easily. Hutton is a personal fave of mine, Hobbs was the first true great opener as the game changed a lot, SF Barnes was without a doubt the greatest early era bowler and according to some the GOAT, and Hammond was a gun bat, very handy bowler and ATG slipper.

Between Barnes and Hammond in the end, with a gun to my head I'd go Barnes.