• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

vandem

International 12th Man
Still, judging by the squad Australia have named they are taking this far more seriously than the South Africa ODI's...
In SA: 3 of Hastings / Boland / Tremain / Mennie + Zampa + MMarsh, with Head as 6th bowler

v NZ: 2 of Starc / Cummins / Hazlewood + Faulkner + Zampa + Maxwell, with MMarsh as 6th bowler (option to play a 3rd quick in place of Zampa / Maxwell if conditions will not suit spin).

A considerable difference in class. Can't think of anybody not in the top Aust ODI XI not playing vs NZ. NZ missing Taylor + Anderson + McClenaghan / Milne + Boult.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon we'll get mowed in Aus but win the home leg 2-1.
Yeah I think it will be 4-2 to Australia for the summer, because like you I think we'll win the home series 2-1, but I don't think we'll get a game in Australia this time around.

Just don't see enough runs in that NZ squad on Australia pitches.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If we are to win, we'll need some decent clutch performances otherwise everything will be on Gup, Kane, Southee and Boult. Our middle to lower order is mud, as noted, but I don't think the bowling is too bad without Milne or Mitch. I thought Boult was out of the series but by reports he's still in the squad?

1. M Guptill
2. T Latham
3. K Williamson
4. C Munro
5. BJ Watling+
6. C de Grandhomme
7. J Neesham
8. M Santner
9. M Henry
10. T Southee
11. T Boult

isn't too bad imo. But so much will be needed from CdG, Santner & Neesham with bat and ball.

Zinzan

If we are to win, we'll need some decent clutch performances otherwise everything will be on Gup, Kane, Southee and Boult. Our middle to lower order is mud, as noted, but I don't think the bowling is too bad without Milne or Mitch. I thought Boult was out of the series but by reports he's still in the squad?

1. M Guptill
2. T Latham
3. K Williamson
4. C Munro
5. BJ Watling+
6. C de Grandhomme
7. J Neesham
8. M Santner
9. M Henry
10. T Southee
11. T Boult

isn't too bad imo. But so much will be needed from CdG, Santner & Neesham with bat and ball.
I'd be happy enough with that XI, with perhaps the caveat to float batsmen on a reactionary basis. Something I don't think is done enough in ODIs.

Example, I think Watling wouldn't be a bad option to float above Munro in the order if we lost 2 really early wickets.

In a perfect world I think Munro is ideally suited to number 5, but with Taylor out I suppose he's as good as any other option there.

Zinzan

I'd be stoked with 3-3 given the inexperience & injuries we have on this leg.

Zinzan

In SA: 3 of Hastings / Boland / Tremain / Mennie + Zampa + MMarsh, with Head as 6th bowler

v NZ: 2 of Starc / Cummins / Hazlewood + Faulkner + Zampa + Maxwell, with MMarsh as 6th bowler (option to play a 3rd quick in place of Zampa / Maxwell if conditions will not suit spin).

A considerable difference in class. Can't think of anybody not in the top Aust ODI XI not playing vs NZ. NZ missing Taylor + Anderson + McClenaghan / Milne + Boult.
Boult's touring ftr.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
On the "context" thing, I think its fair to say that the Chappell-Hadlee series has meant more to NZ (both players and supporters) than the Aussies. Without getting into NZ-is-obsessed-with-Australia or Australia-couldn't-care-less-about-NZ debates, I'm theorizing this is simply because Australia's calendar tends to be far more packed than NZ's. As a kiwi supporter, I can comfortably name my favourite moments from Chappell Hadlee encounters because we don't get a heck of a lot of fixtures through the year, least of all against Australia. So the memories are fresh. For the Aussies, at best this is one big ticket event among dozens in the travelling roadshow. Sure, the quality of cricket's been high for the most part, but in terms of context the series tends to get lost in the deluge of international fixtures.

Still, judging by the squad Australia have named they are taking this far more seriously than the South Africa ODI's, and losing at home is something they can't really allow to happen so I'm sure they'll be sufficiently fired up. Also worth remembering NZ's recent ODI record against them is respectable, they did beat them at Eden Park in the World Cup apart from the home series victory earlier in the year.
Yeah, I get that. Probably should just say it has plenty of context for us, and as with any time we play Australia in anything we'l be absolutely fired up ready to go. I'd love to think Australia saw it a similar way but that's not for me to worry about. I enjoyed the hell out of last summer's ODI series. And my fondest ODI memories are CH matches, the VB series etc.

In regards to the latter part, I think Cricket Australia recognises they can't field sub-par sides at home marketing-wise. For a start, the host broadcaster(s) won't have a bar of it. They want the stars in. The crowds won't either. It's okay to field Joe Mennie and friends over in Africa but you can't be doing that in front of the Australian public, especially when you've been wiped in 2 Tests at the start of the summer.

TheJediBrah

On the "context" thing, I think its fair to say that the Chappell-Hadlee series has meant more to NZ (both players and supporters) than the Aussies. Without getting into NZ-is-obsessed-with-Australia or Australia-couldn't-care-less-about-NZ debates, I'm theorizing this is simply because Australia's calendar tends to be far more packed than NZ's. As a kiwi supporter, I can comfortably name my favourite moments from Chappell Hadlee encounters because we don't get a heck of a lot of fixtures through the year, least of all against Australia. So the memories are fresh. For the Aussies, at best this is one big ticket event among dozens in the travelling roadshow. Sure, the quality of cricket's been high for the most part, but in terms of context the series tends to get lost in the deluge of international fixtures.

Still, judging by the squad Australia have named they are taking this far more seriously than the South Africa ODI's, and losing at home is something they can't really allow to happen so I'm sure they'll be sufficiently fired up. Also worth remembering NZ's recent ODI record against them is respectable, they did beat them at Eden Park in the World Cup apart from the home series victory earlier in the year.
There's definitely something to this. I don't think many in Aus really think of the "Chappell-Hadlee trophy" as a serious thing.

Tbh I couldn't specifically recall a single Aus v NZ ODI in the last 5 years except for the World Cup matches, and wouldn't have a clue who won the last Chappel-Hadlee trophy

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Not the last five years admittedly, but that pre-2007 WC series was ridiculous.

TheJediBrah

Not the last five years admittedly, but that pre-2007 WC series was ridiculous.
was that the one where we rested our best 5 players, Hussey captained and Hayden got his spot back by making 180* and we still lost?

Because if so, I remember it too

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
was that the one where we rested our best 5 players, Hussey captained and Hayden got his spot back by making 180* and we still lost?

Because if so, I remember it too
Admittedly in that 3rd (Hayden) odi our 3 best bowlers (Bond, Vettori and Oram) were all out injured. The 1st odi we won by 10 wickets after oz got rolled for 150.

Zinzan

There's definitely something to this. I don't think many in Aus really think of the "Chappell-Hadlee trophy" as a serious thing.

Tbh I couldn't specifically recall a single Aus v NZ ODI in the last 5 years except for the World Cup matches, and wouldn't have a clue who won the last Chappel-Hadlee trophy
Don't worry, I'm not surprised you've forgotten about their last ODI series, since NZ won. ;)

But I think the bigger point is, who remembers bilateral ODI series generally anyway these days? Don't want to put words into your mouth, but I don't think you were trying to specifically put NZ down with that comment. but were probably meaning ODI bilateral series in general.

Certainly from a selection perspective, Australia appear to be taking this more serious than the recent SA ODI series, while NZ probably not quite so much with Taylor choosing this time to have his eye surgery to be ready for Tests later on in the summer.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Don't worry, I'm not surprised you've forgotten about their last ODI series, since NZ won. ;)

But I think the bigger point is, who remembers bilateral ODI series generally anyway these days? Don't want to put words into your mouth, but I don't think you were trying to specifically put NZ down with that comment. but were probably meaning ODI bilateral series in general.

Certainly from a selection perspective, Australia appear to be taking this more serious than the recent SA ODI series, while NZ probably not quite so much with Taylor choosing this time to have his eye surgery to be ready for Tests later on in the summer.
Why would anyone have thought that at all?

You have a point regarding bilateral ODI series in general, but for some reason the Aus/NZ series I have much more trouble recalling. They are just not memorable at all and I probably watched them at the time too . . .
It's a bizarre phenomenon

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I'd be happy enough with that XI, with perhaps the caveat to float batsmen on a reactionary basis. Something I don't think is done enough in ODIs.

Example, I think Watling wouldn't be a bad option to float above Munro in the order if we lost 2 really early wickets.

In a perfect world I think Munro is ideally suited to number 5, but with Taylor out I suppose he's as good as any other option there.
I think Santner should bat in the top 6 for this series, as hecan play the accumulating game and showed last year he's not intimidated by the Aussie quicks (small sample size I know). Though he is definitely better suited to playing the Vettori role at 8, given the concerns around the NZ middle order he's the one I'd back as most likely to come good against Starc and co

Zinzan

I think Santner should bat in the top 6 for this series, as hecan play the accumulating game and showed last year he's not intimidated by the Aussie quicks (small sample size I know). Though he is definitely better suited to playing the Vettori role at 8, given the concerns around the NZ middle order he's the one I'd back as most likely to come good against Starc and co
I think Santner's ODI batting record flatters to deceive a little at this stage. Good hitter towards the end, & can find the boundary, but I don't have your confidence he'd be good enough & nurdling singles at close to a run a ball.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
I think Santner's ODI batting record flatters to deceive a little at this stage. Good hitter towards the end, & can find the boundary, but I don't have your confidence he'd be good enough & nurdling singles at close to a run a ball.
True, he is by no means a replacement for Grant Elliott, but since there is a feeling the likes of Neesham and CdG won't offer great resistance against the Aussie pace attack, maybe we should manage our expectations a bit just for this series?

Last edited: