• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best spinner in the world today(tests) : Herath vs Ashwin vs Yasir Shah

Who is the best spinner at the moment? (Tests)

• Total voters

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
...shows spinner's class by showing the he bowled out Australians......in the subcontinent. I'm not sure that's as compelling as you think it might have been.
Well, I thought the idea was to show an instance where he did well in the 1st innings to get SL back into the contest.

His class isn't really what is being questioned, is it?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meh, while Herath took wickets a number of them were tail-enders, Welegadara destroying the top order in South Africa's first innings had more influence.
Well no **** of course he's going to have a few tailenders as wickets when he gets 9 in the match.

Daemon

Ashwin
Herath
Jadeja
Shah
Maharaj

Top 5 for me

Maharaj in particular has managed to be very, very consistent without even bowling on a dustbowl yet. Better than Lyon imo.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Underselling Shah a bit IMO.. I would say based on performances over their careers...

Herath
Ashwin
Yasir
Lyon
Jadeja

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Point is I don't think he really brought Sri Lanka back from behind in that Test, which is what the original argument was.
SL don't have rage turners where the ball spin from day 1.Wickets in SL and SC are usually on the flatter side where the batsmen can pummel runs.

Herath has done tremendously well in helpful conditions for SL.Pioneering many a successful sub 200 run chases,with the ball.Todays was a classic example.

I will go through his test match list and post scorecards where he did well in 1st inns,juts Don't remember matches off the top of my head

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I said this in the other thread, but spinners are the least athletic athletes I can think of. Up there with Golfers.

It's almost like being exceedingly fit works against you as a spinner somehow.
Murali vehemently disagrees.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
How depressing is it when a 6'5" bloke turns up to preseason then says he's a spinner? Happened a few times at our club over the years. They get out of the car and you're thinking they'll take the new rock (they still would on the SC tbf) then they measure out a four step run and lob down an offie.

Breaks your heart.
That happens in intgernational level too 6'8" Suleiman Benn turns up and says he bowls spin.

vcs

I said this in the other thread, but spinners are the least athletic athletes I can think of. Up there with Golfers.

It's almost like being exceedingly fit works against you as a spinner somehow.
You've got the causality mixed up there.

It's more like how being ugly forces you to develop a personality.

TheJediBrah

SL don't have rage turners where the ball spin from day 1.Wickets in SL and SC are usually on the flatter side where the batsmen can pummel runs.

Herath has done tremendously well in helpful conditions for SL.Pioneering many a successful sub 200 run chases,with the ball.Todays was a classic example.

I will go through his test match list and post scorecards where he did well in 1st inns,juts Don't remember matches off the top of my head
I've seen several just on Australia's recent tours alone. Maybe they were a special case made for Australia but I don't know

Murali vehemently disagrees.
are you suggesting that Murali was particularly fit? really?

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
I've seen several just on Australia's recent tours alone. Maybe they were a special case made for Australia but I don't know
I don't remember a rage turner at all.
Pallekale where the 1st test was played,AUS got the measure of our batsmen,we were were 5-6 down within the 1st session itself.It was the pacers who were doing the damage.Don't remember it being a rage turner or something that sort.It was poor Aussie batting tbh,but then again chasing is not all that difficult.There was some support for the pacers.

2nd test I felt was more of a turner,Galle usually provide something for the spinners.This game I think ended with 2 days to spare.If there was a rage turner,this had to be the one.

3rd test SSC was pretty flat.Early movement for the seam bowlers,SL losing 4 wickets in the 1st session,and nothing at all for the rest of the day.Aussie showed guts,but didn't bat well in their 2nd inns, definitely not a turner.

I felt Aussies didn't play the spinners well,rather than the wickets being rage turner.Bangladesh visited SL this year won a test.SL had to chase 350+ to win against Zimbos,just before India series.

I personally felt Zimbabwe bats,in Sikander Raza,Sean Williams played better spin than Khawaja,Joe Burns,Voges etc

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah baby... soon he can be in here with more confidence.

Good pick, I always forget about Maharaj but the guy is just quietly and slowly becoming a top notch spinner in all conditions without any fuss, while just using the same simple formula as Herath. Come to think of it, the number of world class spinners we have in operation for Internationals is awesome right now

Bijed

International Regular
Maharaj basically just needs to put on some weight and he'll be the best spinner going imo

TheJediBrah

I don't remember a rage turner at all.
Pallekale where the 1st test was played,AUS got the measure of our batsmen,we were were 5-6 down within the 1st session itself.It was the pacers who were doing the damage.Don't remember it being a rage turner or something that sort.It was poor Aussie batting tbh,but then again chasing is not all that difficult.There was some support for the pacers.

2nd test I felt was more of a turner,Galle usually provide something for the spinners.This game I think ended with 2 days to spare.If there was a rage turner,this had to be the one.

3rd test SSC was pretty flat.Early movement for the seam bowlers,SL losing 4 wickets in the 1st session,and nothing at all for the rest of the day.Aussie showed guts,but didn't bat well in their 2nd inns, definitely not a turner.

I felt Aussies didn't play the spinners well,rather than the wickets being rage turner.Bangladesh visited SL this year won a test.SL had to chase 350+ to win against Zimbos,just before India series.

I personally felt Zimbabwe bats,in Sikander Raza,Sean Williams played better spin than Khawaja,Joe Burns,Voges etc
Your memory is either a bit off, or we have different definitions of "rage turner, which is fine.

The worst though was on the 2011 tour where Lyon made his debut and took 5-30. That wicket was insane.