• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing lexicon

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dharmasena, noun

A person whose work requires constant review.

"This intern is only adding to my workload by being such a dharmasena"

Umpire's Call, verb

To be denied of ***ual intercourse

"Sarah was all over me last night before I was umpire's called by her friend."
:laugh:

Bijed

International Regular
agar, verb

To impress in an unexpected way.

Our local councillor visited our school to deliver as speech. I thought it would be boring and cringeworthy, but he agared by being honest and having a good sense of humour.

~

rohit, verb

To disappoint after an impressive start.

The film began with an engrossing fight scene, but then it rohited and the next 90 minutes were unwatchable rubbish.

Bijed

International Regular
pietersen, verb

To divide opinion.

The design of the new memorial pietersened amongst the people of the town.

~

paul adams, noun

An unnecessarily complicated way of achieving something.

"I had to fill out a ridiculous number of forms to apply for the grant, the whole process was a paul adams."

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dharmasena, noun

A person whose work requires constant review.

"This intern is only adding to my workload by being such a dharmasena"

Umpire's Call, verb

To be denied of ***ual intercourse

"Sarah was all over me last night before I was umpire's called by her friend."
Very good

Bijed

International Regular
swann to rogers, noun

A very poor attempt at something which still manages to get undeserved success.

"The presidential campaign was a swann to rogers - the candidate visited about 3 states and he never even published any policies, but he won the election anyway."

~

tufnell, adjective

Acceptable in one aspect but severely lacking in others.

"The new accountant was tufnell at his job - he was good with numbers but often disrupted his colleagues and was rude to clients."

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
The new accountant is a panesar, good with numbers but sometimes pisses on the security guard.

Last edited:

Compton

International Debutant
Panesar should never mean anything other than pissing everywhere.

Panesar, noun

How's the new dog settling in?

Yeah I'm chuffed. Had some Panesar's earlier in the week, but now we've got him going in the garden

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Have changed my version of Panesar to be Tufnell, so to avoid conflict with this superior definition. Gotta admit I'd forgotten about that incident.

The question is, is a panesar any old piss, or should it require an element of malicious intent?

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
warner, verb

To involuntarily respond with extreme violence to innocuous slights, real or imagined.

'She ate my stash of Tim Tams so I punched her lights out. In my defense, your Honour, I did warner.'

lehmann, noun

An unexpected display of racism that clouds a distinguished career.

'Mel Gibson, great actor, fine director...but I can't get past that lehmann live on air.'

'When life gives you lehmanns, blame political correctness.'

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
north, noun

Something much maligned at the time, but looked back on with wistful feelings when faced with tougher times.

The rise of Donald Trump led the liberal elites to view George W Bush as a prime example of a North.

marsh, noun

Something that you see has some purpose, but you're kind of convinced it's only got where it has due to some kind of lie and/or nepotism

Well, I know that Andy Townsend played football, but I'm pretty sure his presence as a pundit and commentator can only be due to him being some kind of marsh.

southee, noun

Someone very serviceable, nay even incredibly useful at times, but also as thick as mince

"I did enjoy watching the Goonies the other day but I had the dawning realisation that the character Sloth is a real southee.

See also Broad, Stuart

athlai, verb

To be incredibly untrustworthy.

"This evil bastard spent days trying to convince me he was actually a horse. There he was, eating hay and ****ting in my living room and demanding apples and sugarcubes. More fool me, it turned out he was athlaing the whole time"

Burgey

Reference to Athlai a little esoteric to me. Care to fill us in on it please, Heath?

Burgey

Black Cap, verb - to be appreciated for your sense of commitment and fair play, but to not get any reward for effort.

"Harry thought he was well loved at work by management and staff alike, but realised when he was passed over for the promotion that he had been well and truly Black Capped".

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Reference to Athlai a little esoteric to me. Care to fill us in on it please, Heath?
Athers can no doubt fill you in himself. It's definitely lighthearted though, not calling him a lying malicious bastard.

But the lying part... well, he's so damn convincing.

Bijed

International Regular
victory in india, noun

A goal that is all but impossible to achieve.

"We've been told to double our sales over the next year, but personally I think that's a victory in india."

~

vernon, verb

To avoid an undesirable task by faking an injury.

"The rain was hammering down outside and it was my turn to walk the dog, so I vernoned by pretending I'd twisted my ankle."

Bijed

International Regular
bucknor, noun

A bad decision with no discernible logic behind it.

"The ice cream seller went bankrupt after he made the bucknor to go on extended summer holiday but make up for it by trading in the winter instead."

In fairness to Steve, you can use the names of many other umpires as synonyms for this one.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
bell, noun

Something that by all objective accounts works reasonably well and in any case much better than the alternatives but must be ruthlessly criticized for perceived flaws

You really should buy a new car, that one you've got is a real bell. It doesn't even have WiFi installed!

Bijed

International Regular
anderson, verb

To show disrespect to someone who deserves praise.

My teacher was horrible – even though I’d improved my grades, he andersoned about me at parents’ evening because they still weren’t all A’s”