• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root v Virat Kohli

smash84

The Tiger King
Keeping up with the cricket, Kohli certainly has good numbers in ODI cricket, but someone said he is the best his seen since Richards. Really? You must have missed he entirety of Ponting and Tendulkar's careers then.
I said ARGUABLY.

I have actually watched a lot of Ponting and Tendulkar. In fact I can say that I have been watching Tendulkar since his first series. He made his debut in my hometown. When you probably weren't even born (or if you were then you were in your diapers i reckon?) :cool:

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Had an early morning laugh at Root being considered better than Kohli in ODIs. I mean, come on.

Burgey

I think I'm going to be putting anyone who tries to derail this into a "I think so and so is hating on India and I'm a cry baby" thread on ignore. I've seen way too many of these on here and on cricket forums in general.

Keeping up with the cricket, Kohli certainly has good numbers in ODI cricket, but someone said he is the best his seen since Richards. Really? You must have missed he entirety of Ponting and Tendulkar's careers then.
He belongs in the argument. Kohli is an insanely good limited overs batsman. Right up with the blokes you mentioned.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Kohli in ODIs is amazing. One of the greats and the best in the world today.

He's getting better in tests and it won't be too long before he does become the best in the world.

Groundking

International Debutant
Kohli is also experiencing captains boost that a lot of batsmen seem to get for some 18 months or so once the captaincy is given to them, Root has yet to experience that, and I think Root has been pretty crap (for his standards) this past year, yet before today Kohli has only averaged 8.5 runs more than Root, despite captaincy boost.

smash84

The Tiger King
Kohli is also experiencing captains boost that a lot of batsmen seem to get for some 18 months or so once the captaincy is given to them, Root has yet to experience that, and I think Root has been pretty crap (for his standards) this past year, yet before today Kohli has only averaged 8.5 runs more than Root, despite captaincy boost.
first time i am hearing of somethign like this

Compton

International Debutant
I don't see how any reasonably unbiased observer could come to any conclusion other than Root being the better test batsman, and Kohli being the better limited overs batsman.

I don't even think either are all that close.

listento_me

U19 Captain
I said ARGUABLY.

I have actually watched a lot of Ponting and Tendulkar. In fact I can say that I have been watching Tendulkar since his first series. He made his debut in my hometown. When you probably weren't even born (or if you were then you were in your diapers i reckon?) :cool:
You've watched his entire career and you still amde such a comment?

It's not even arguable tbh. Maybe once Kohli ends his career but to talk about him in the same sentence has those guys is going a bit too far. Plus I feel a lot of modern batting averages are exceptionally inflated today. There was a time when great batsmen averaging 50 or more in ODIs was unheard of but with smaller boundaries, flatter pitches and worse "pace" bowlers, we have these 50+ ODI averages. Guys like Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Inzy and a few others would probably be averaging a lot more these days.

He belongs in the argument. Kohli is an insanely good limited overs batsman. Right up with the blokes you mentioned.
Kohli belongs in the argument alongside AB and Amla but not quite in the upper tier just yet. Again, we're looking at a guy only half way through his career. With the way things are, Kohli could easily play another 10 years of cricket.

I dunno, mostly guys do a little worse as captains?

But I think a more pertinent point is that Root is about 3 years young and not even at his peak. Baring serious injuries or back problems, Root by 28 should be in his physical prime and just imagine that.

listento_me

U19 Captain
I don't see how any reasonably unbiased observer could come to any conclusion other than Root being the better test batsman, and Kohli being the better limited overs batsman.

I don't even think either are all that close.
There's a clear difference in tests but you're looking at Kohli's ODI career numbers but the guy has played more than twice as many games in that format. Root, far fewer games is averaging very good and scoring well for a good England ODI side. The skill level is pretty even in tests but I can certainly see people saying Kohli is the better ODI batsman but it's close. The clear difference is more remarkable in tests and t20s (where Kohli for my money is clearly the best).

smash84

The Tiger King

It's not even arguable tbh. Maybe once Kohli ends his career but to talk about him in the same sentence has those guys is going a bit too far. Plus I feel a lot of modern batting averages are exceptionally inflated today. There was a time when great batsmen averaging 50 or more in ODIs was unheard of but with smaller boundaries, flatter pitches and worse "pace" bowlers, we have these 50+ ODI averages. Guys like Tendulkar, Ponting, Lara, Inzy and a few others would probably be averaging a lot more these days.
Yes I did. Because he is that good.

Burgey

There's a clear difference in tests but you're looking at Kohli's ODI career numbers but the guy has played more than twice as many games in that format. Root, far fewer games is averaging very good and scoring well for a good England ODI side. The skill level is pretty even in tests but I can certainly see people saying Kohli is the better ODI batsman but it's close. The clear difference is more remarkable in tests and t20s (where Kohli for my money is clearly the best).
It's not really close though. You're having a lend. Kohli's record, especially in chases, is ridiculous in ODIs. There's no comparison between them as ODI players. The gap between them in ODIs is larger than the gap in tests. It's as plain as the nose on your face. Look at how Kohli scores his runs and when he scores them in ODIs. It's actually an easier comparison to make than in tests.

I am grateful you started this thread though, as it provides context to your Miandad > Border heresy from the other week.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on these things, but I'm afraid in this instance your view on these players in relation to limited overs cricket is sadly bereft or any meaningful reality.

Rootfan

Banned
Root tends to get overrated in test cricket. 8 of his 11 tons have come in England. He has a ton in SA vs an attack that didn't have Steyn or Philander, has failed in Australia and New Zealand(Kohli has only failed in England and dominated in Aus/NZ). Away from their respective homes, both Kohli and Root have very similar averages with the difference being Kohli has 9 tons in 50 innings whereas Root has 3 tons in 40 innings.

Right now you'd probably have Root marginally ahead based on the strength of their overall averages in tests but you must factor that Kohli has played on some absolute rank turners, pitches where the likes of Amla and Abd struggled to put bat to ball. I expect Kohli's average to increase a couple of points and Root's to go down a couple of points once he goes outside England and then it'll be very debatable as to who the better test batsman is.

In ODIs it is a no contest. Kohli is the best ODI batsman after Viv, Tendulkar, Ponting.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Kohli belongs in the argument alongside AB and Amla but not quite in the upper tier just yet. Again, we're looking at a guy only half way through his career. With the way things are, Kohli could easily play another 10 years of cricket.

I dunno, mostly guys do a little worse as captains?

But I think a more pertinent point is that Root is about 3 years young and not even at his peak. Baring serious injuries or back problems, Root by 28 should be in his physical prime and just imagine that.

Of course, use stats when it suits your biased false as **** point. Pull up opinions out of your ass when it doesn't. Here are some very basic stats for you to chew on, if you can comprehend anything other than bias, that is...

Kohli - 3643 @ 46 in 49 tests, SR 54 - 7570 @ 53 in 176 ODIs, SR 90
Root - 4231 @ 54 in 49 tests, SR 55 - 3017 @ 46 in 78 ODIs, SR 86

Kohli is only half through his ODI career, so he is not an ATG. Root is not even that in his test career and yet he is better than Kohli, coz SR and Kohli is Indian.... More **** posting with more **** reasoning, plz. Pak is not batting well in NZ.. Gotta vent somewhere... :p

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Root tends to get overrated in test cricket. 8 of his 11 tons have come in England. He has a ton in SA vs an attack that didn't have Steyn or Philander, has failed in Australia and New Zealand(Kohli has only failed in England and dominated in Aus/NZ). Away from their respective homes, both Kohli and Root have very similar averages with the difference being Kohli has 9 tons in 50 innings whereas Root has 3 tons in 40 innings.

Right now you'd probably have Root marginally ahead based on the strength of their overall averages in tests but you must factor that Kohli has played on some absolute rank turners, pitches where the likes of Amla and Abd struggled to put bat to ball. I expect Kohli's average to increase a couple of points and Root's to go down a couple of points once he goes outside England and then it'll be very debatable as to who the better test batsman is.

In ODIs it is a no contest. Kohli is the best ODI batsman after Viv, Tendulkar, Ponting.
Any particular reason you picked that user name?

Daemon

listentome is trolling why even reply

put yourself in his shoes and ask yourself what he wants as a response. Right now most of you are providing him with just that.

Spark

Global Moderator
Remember him churning out 60-ball hundreds in that 7-match series like it was park cricket. Was nuts.

hazsa19

International Regular

No-one who watched that innings would under-rate it.

In Tests I'd put them in the same category as Smith and Williamson. All top players crucial to the success or failure of their team.