• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Joe Root v Virat Kohli

listento_me

U19 Captain
Quite interesting to see you've compared them on everything, but their performances down under.

I posit that the only fair tie-breaker between the two is comparing how they handled Mitchell Johnson and Ryan Harris in Tests in Australia. Certainly a better way than to see their average/SR in winning causes etc.

What say you, listento_me?
I've tried not to let one series define either guy. I understand what you're getting at, Kohli has very good numbers in Australia, although I don't think he won any tests there and in the tests he did score, weren't there other centurions also? I think in one of the test Warner got back to back 100s just like Kohli. Root however didn't do as well BUT it was his first time down under, in only his second year in test cricket and cricket in general if I'm not mistaken.

Kohli > Root in Australian tests certainly but it isn't enough to say that makes Kohli a better test batsman becausei t simply doesn't Even the Indian die hards are admitting that.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Yeah, I prefer tests and am English (so a bit biased) so would pick Root, but it's reasonable to go either way and if you include T20s then I don't think I could argue against Kohli. Kohli 2-and-a-bit years older, though, so if Root sees a similar upturn across his game in a couple of years that'll be something special.
Read it wrong. Even though Root played half the matches and you are bringing up stats, kohli is def the better ODI player. He is just too beastly to beat when pressure situation is on and it comes mostly in chasing. Take his chasing average and I bet it's godly. Also have to add this that Kohli is also catching up in tests as I had some reservations previously. But for now,

In ODIs, Kohli > Root
In Tests, Root > Kohli
I wouldn't be against picking Kohli over Root (in a situation where only one was allowed) but the gap in terms of performances isn't huge for a guy who barely has 3 years in ODI cricket. But the gap between Root the test batsman and Kohli the test batsman as of this moment s quite considerable. Plus KOhli came into the Indian test side on the basis of scoring quickly in ODIs and being an aggressive player but Root is so superior in terms of scoring rate in tests when it really matters.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Nah.. that is even more ****ed up logic there. Root is no ATG yet in tests, but Kohli already is an ATG in ODIs. And if anything, you lose far lesser in comparison if you take Kohli over Root for tests, if it means you can have Kohli for ODIs. The guy posts drivel any time anywhere to the effect of "X Indian Player not good" "Y Pak Player miles better" or sometimes both in the same post.
It's only valid if someone puts equal value to ODIs and Tests. Bijed prefers more superior one to tests even though the same player becomes inferior when it comes to ODIs. It's acceptable from where he's coming from.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Ok, this is a genuine shout out to Indian fans and not just one or two guys in particular. Why are you all so damn aggressive?

Not a single one of you have has been able to put forward a legitimate argument as to why Kohli is superior in tests. There have been good arguments for ODI side and like I said, its a lot closer between the two in terms of performances.

Let's not focus on being personally angry or personal attacks but try and put forward legitimate arguments. The issue is, there are none for Kohli over Root in tests, or there are very few.

So lets keep it about the cricket and a little less whinging would help.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't be against picking Kohli over Root (in a situation where only one was allowed) but the gap in terms of performances isn't huge for a guy who barely has 3 years in ODI cricket. But the gap between Root the test batsman and Kohli the test batsman as of this moment s quite considerable. Plus KOhli came into the Indian test side on the basis of scoring quickly in ODIs and being an aggressive player but Root is so superior in terms of scoring rate in tests when it really matters.
Man it will be more than uphill task for Root to catch Kohli in terms of ODIs performances. Can we put aside the stats that you are bringing up and see what Kohli has done in ODIs. In contrast, Kohli has more of a chance to catch Root in tests. I would say odds are in favor of kohli to be all around batsman sooner superior in all formats of the game.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saying Kohli is anywhere near Root in Tests makes me question one's judgement. Saying Root is anywhere near Kohli in the LO stuff makes me question one's sanity.

The stats are clear but just watching their consequential knocks in both forms makes it even more stark.

Gob

International Coach
Saying Kohli is anywhere near Root in Tests makes me question one's judgement. Saying Root is anywhere near Kohli in the LO stuff makes me question one's sanity.

The stats are clear but just watching their consequential knocks in both forms makes it even more stark.
Wonder what Virats numbers are if you exclude that famous Eng series? I could check of course but cant be ****ed

vcs

I've tried not to let one series define either guy. I understand what you're getting at, Kohli has very good numbers in Australia, although I don't think he won any tests there and in the tests he did score, weren't there other centurions also? I think in one of the test Warner got back to back 100s just like Kohli. Root however didn't do as well BUT it was his first time down under, in only his second year in test cricket and cricket in general if I'm not mistaken.

Kohli > Root in Australian tests certainly but it isn't enough to say that makes Kohli a better test batsman becausei t simply doesn't Even the Indian die hards are admitting that.
There were plenty of other centurions in the matches Root failed in also.

Ask Burgey or any Australian poster, they'll tell you how only performances in Australia count, forget the Indian die-hards. Separates the men from the boys and all that.

indiaholic

International Captain
You are arguing with a guy who thinks averages in games won is a useful statistic. Think about it for a moment.

smash84

The Tiger King

sanity is overrated :ph34r:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Cognitive dissonance.

OverratedSanity

Since that infamous England tour, Kohli's record is actually better than Root's ftr. Not that it automatically makes him better(he isn't) but still:

Kohli: 21 tests , 1939 runs @ 61, 8 hundreds, 3 "fifties"
Root: 28 tests, 2499 runs @55, 6 hundreds, 16 "fifties"

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since that infamous England tour, Kohli's record is actually better than Root's ftr. Not that it automatically makes him better(he isn't) but still:

Kohli: 21 tests , 1939 runs @ 61, 8 hundreds, 3 "fifties"
Root: 28 tests, 2499 runs @55, 6 hundreds, 16 "fifties"
But Kohli bats on flat decks bro.
So Ashwin's stats are effing impressive then.
Nah, he bowls on rank turners bro.
Ah, so Kohli's stats are impressive then.
Nah, he bats on flat decks bro.