• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Over rates

Blocky

Banned
Chappelli still has the best idea, if a team is behind on their over-rates by more than 10 minutes per session (30 per day) - then they don't play the next match.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Chappelli still has the best idea, if a team is behind on their over-rates by more than 10 minutes per session (30 per day) - then they don't play the next match.
The whole team? Not sure broadcasters (ie the holder of power) will be so keen on that.

Compton

International Debutant
See when everyone gets so upset about over rates? I genuinely struggle to care. It's just such a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
8 ball overs would be more taxing on the body imo. And with so many fast bowlers breaking down so frequently these days, I can't see too many players being happy with it.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Well, it annoys me, and I think it annoys plenty of other people as well.
Whilst I would actually be in favour of returning (here) to eight-ball overs, I don't know whether it'd outweigh the problem of constant field-rearrangements, general messing around, frequent breaks, calling for gloves every six overs, taking ages to bowl each ball (such as towards the end of the day when Australia were bowling in Perth), the W.A.C.A. sight-screen breaking and those sorts of hold ups.
It might force fast-bowlers to actually develop other ways of bowling the ball such as cutters and the like rather than aiming at just pace; and given how workload and injury management is turning out these days anyway, I don't know whether it'd really make that much of a difference.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing which does annoy me is when you see a wicket fall in the first over of a session and three blokes run on carrying drinks for the fielding side. Doesn't really waste any time, but fmd, really?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yup, it annoys me as well. Also annoying is the batsmen calling for drinks every ten (or fewer) minutes, especially when it's not even hot (seem to remember the Indians, or Dhoni at least doing this a lot during one visit here). It's test cricket, you can wait a bit. If I was the umpire I'd be telling them to piss off.

Wouldn't be in favour of eight ball overs. If you're a spinner and bowling well you get more time to work over the batsmen, but as a medium pacer rather inclined to bowling wides I think some overs would last forever.

neville cardus

International Debutant
See when everyone gets so upset about over rates? I genuinely struggle to care. It's just such a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.
We're talking cricket not a week on from the election of fascist paedophile to the most powerful office in the world. Of course it's meaningless "in the grand scheme of things."

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If the idea is to improve over rates, we need to first look at what are the factors that lead to slow over rates or stoppages. Most of the time, it's to do with poor administration and planning - people walking in front of the sight screen, people sitting where they are not meant to, people in bright colours standing next to the sight screen. I don't understand why players are always blamed for this. It's frustrating to see umpires from the middle of the pitch try to communicate with ground staff or dumb spectators by way of sign language.

If anything, these are extremely stupid and controllable issues, which can easily addressed with better management of that area, better modes of communication between umpires and ground staff and just better awareness spread among spectators about which areas to avoid.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
We can, and the 8 ball over is an idea worth looking into. All I am saying is, that the causes for slow overrates are extremely stupid and can easily be rectified with better management, with or without an 8 ball over.

Midwinter

State Captain
If the idea is to improve over rates, we need to first look at what are the factors that lead to slow over rates or stoppages. Most of the time, it's to do with poor administration and planning - people walking in front of the sight screen, people sitting where they are not meant to, people in bright colours standing next to the sight screen. I don't understand why players are always blamed for this. It's frustrating to see umpires from the middle of the pitch try to communicate with ground staff or dumb spectators by way of sign language.

If anything, these are extremely stupid and controllable issues, which can easily addressed with better management of that area, better modes of communication between umpires and ground staff and just better awareness spread among spectators about which areas to avoid.

No longer a problem in Australia with area at each end covered in white and people not allowed to sit there.

Why is it that over rates are never a problem in limited overs games.

Sometimes the players are running to position to ensure the overs are completed.

Blocky

Banned
Start with "If you miss your over rate, the captain sits out next match" - if that doesn't work "If you miss your over-rate, the captain and vice captain sit out the next match" - if that doesn't work "if you miss your over-rate, you all sit out the next match"

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
My personal preferred solution is delaying the availability of the new ball if a team is running behind on the over rate simply because it balance out the current incentive captain's have to go slow to give there fast bowlers more rest.
Also the rules of the game should be changed to require the batsman to be ready when the bowler is ready, rather than the bowler having to wait for the batsman.

Blocky

Banned
My personal preferred solution is delaying the availability of the new ball if a team is running behind on the over rate simply because it balance out the current incentive captain's have to go slow to give there fast bowlers more rest.
Also the rules of the game should be changed to require the batsman to be ready when the bowler is ready, rather than the bowler having to wait for the batsman.
That's a really good shout.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Other significant delay of game is injury delay, batsman should get 1x5min injury break in there innings, if they need longer / more they should retire hurt and receive treatment in the dressing room. allow the game to progress.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Start with "If you miss your over rate, the captain sits out next match" - if that doesn't work "If you miss your over-rate, the captain and vice captain sit out the next match" - if that doesn't work "if you miss your over-rate, you all sit out the next match"
I am perplexed that people come up with these solutions when it rarely has much to do with the fielding captain. If a batsman is unhappy with the sight screen and keeps delaying, you are going to penalise the fielding captain for that?

Great. All batsmen will do that now to make sure the opposition captain misses the next game