• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

Dendarii

International Debutant
This bit is a little misleading.

and has crossed fifty once in five ODIs since.
His three innings against England were 45 (off 38 balls), 52 (off 50 balls), and 27 n.o. (off 30 balls). So that's one 50, one score close to 50 and one match that ended before he had a chance to score 50. So while he hasn't scored runs in the Champions Trophy, I don't think you can really say that his form was a concern leading up to it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Our one-day teams seem to lack risk-taking when it matters. Well our key players we need particularly. Then there a few players that are carried in the team.

Amla, Qdk, Faf, AB, Miller is a damn good top 5. How does Markram break into the top 5 though ?

Thinking 2 years time ideally we have Smith and Mulder there but now might be pushing it. Pity Smith hasn't been exposed sooner due to quotas. He may not have been ready 2/3 years back but gaining that experience would have made him more ready now.

Duminy, Behardien, Parnell, Pretorius to me are definitely not LT solutions.

Really pleased with how Miller and Morris have stepped up in England at times but generally they have done for the last 18-24 months.
Miller doing well is good for the team, we have an excellent top 5...
I think Markram, de Bruyn, Mulder and Smith should at least be around the squad. For many years players did not play in the same position for their domestic and international sides, they where picked cause they were good enough. Markram playing at 6 if needed is not a bad thing, can't do any worse that Duminy and I think a player of his talent can benefit from the experience even if later he moves up the order. We are happy to play non openers as openers but not aggressive openers as aggressive number 6's? Again there is the obvious quota problems. I`m not saying that is the best solutions but we have talented players on the side lines, not just for quota reasons, and we need to get them into the squad and side.

Right now we have Behardien, Pretorious, Phehlukwayo with the squad non-of those are likely to change our fortunes if we picked them, Phehlukwayo has the best potential but is not ready. I would be much happier if we had, Markram, de Bruyn, Smith, Mulder available in the squad cause at least I feel they have the potential to be game changes. We where brave bringing in QDK and Rabada when we did. Lets continue to be brave.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree with this article cause it is either rehashing nonsense, like the spinner issue or talking about an out of form ABdV. ABdV is not a captain material, unfortunately, and needs to become self-aware enough to give it up to Faf. His injuries are not good and CSA abused him. As SeamUp says SA cricket needs a much calmer presence on the field and ABdV does not bring that. The quality of the batsmen is still there.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah agree Ab is still a world class bat. IPL form means **** all. **** captain and made himself look a nob calling their spinners part timers pre match though.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Been saying it since he became a contender for captain. AB simply isn't captain material. How he still is captain after choosing which matches to play completely blows my mind.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Been saying it since he became a contender for captain. AB simply isn't captain material. How he still is captain after choosing which matches to play completely blows my mind.
When ABdV was made captain Faf was not a guarantee in the team and not batting great, and the only alternate was Amla who is not a great captain either. Now that has all changed, ABdV needs to step down after the CT and give the team time to settle before the WC.

Dendarii

International Debutant
ABdV needs to step down after the CT and give the team time to settle before the WC.
While I agree with you, I just don't see that happening. He just seems too desperate to make up for the failures at previous ICC tournaments. So until he accepts that it doesn't necessarily have to be him leading the team to a tournament victory I don't think he's going to relinquish the captaincy.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Silly article imo...Even if we think his form has declined, he's still one of the best in the world.

Definitely not a great captain though

Bahseph

State Captain
I know Pretorious hasn't got much pace. But as a captain isn't it better to know what you are getting instead of the erratic nature of Parnell

SeamUp

International Coach
I know Pretorious hasn't got much pace. But as a captain isn't it better to know what you are getting instead of the erratic nature of Parnell
Would agree to a certain extent. In many ways he is predictable like Wiese but in different ways. Wiese just bowled cutters where as Pretorius is accurate and tries to hit the seam but with the majority of ODI pitches being awesome you won't get away with it.

That is why I probably think Lucky has that extra string to his bow in that he can do both roles and potentially can bowl good yorkers at the death with change-ups.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Heino Kuhn booking his test cap for Lord's.

I'm hoping Markram goes as reserve batsman and soaks up atmosphere. SA 'A' tour was always a massive learning experience for him, Smith and Mulder.

I'm a little concerned with de Bruyn. He is so awesome domestically and had good performances with SA 'A' but when he really has to nail down his spot he isn't. Adaptability ? But we certainly need him or someone else to step up for that number 3/4 spot in future. Not writing him off as he has obvious class when you watch him.

SA A 128/5 (42.4 ov, HG Kuhn 87*, H Klaasen 1*, IG Holland 0/24) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

91Jmay

International Coach
Kuhn got a good record, the bloke just come in to bat has a sensational one though and scores his runs quickly by the look of it. A potential contender if Bavuma's form continues to be a bit flakey?

SeamUp

International Coach
Kuhn got a good record, the bloke just come in to bat has a sensational one though and scores his runs quickly by the look of it. A potential contender if Bavuma's form continues to be a bit flakey?
Yeah Kuhn is a funny one. Has been a champ for years at the Titans. He was a keeper and opened and that almost effected his SA selection with Boucher around and they looked at him as a keeper. At that time they were backing Elgar with Reeza Hendricks for SA 'A' as future test openers. Then when you look at Cook v Kuhn. Both hardened campaigners but when the spot opened Cook was just in unstoppable form but over the years I would have said Kuhn has more of a chance than Cook. Odd how its worked.

Klaasen is the reserve keeper. Very big guy for a keeper but you right. Done everything asked of him at each level and he just keeps stepping up. Some of those stats do include provincial but stepped up to franchise cricket dominantly too. He was in the NZL tour squad and no reason why he won't be in the England tour squad. As a Bavuma replacement. For balance that would be questionable. Possibly JP first in line to get chop but also you got to ask would they have an issue picking him as a pure batsman?

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah but JPs overs in England though are going to be very very limited use aren't they? Obviously the quotas thing will come into play.

Cook must be on extremely thin ice and is playing like a tailender for Durham as you are aware. Could be a good straight swap.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
In many ways I would love for Kuhn to be given an opportunity, his form is great. Like Cook's was when he was picked. But are we gonna end up in the same position in a years time if he goes out of form?

No Bavuma? de Bruyn failing again is not good. And boy are the Lions going to feast on that bowling. And considering everything was giving the captaincy to Markram the right thing to do.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Really good from Kuhn. Scores quickly as well as can hit both sides of the wicket particularly square. Very fit as well, a fitness freak actually.

@Stephen : Bavuma and Olivier will play the Lions game. Just rotation. Hopefully when Mulder gets the next game he does well to get picked for Lions game hopefully over Zondo.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Really good from Kuhn. Scores quickly as well as can hit both sides of the wicket particularly square. Very fit as well, a fitness freak actually.

@Stephen : Bavuma and Olivier will play the Lions game. Just rotation. Hopefully when Mulder gets the next game he does well to get picked for Lions game hopefully over Zondo.
Just surprised, you think they would give Bavuma as much opportunity to get used to conditions as possible....