• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa team selection

SeamUp

International Coach
I think they going to start with.

Amla
QdK
Faf
Rassie
Miller
Duminy
Phehlukwayo
Morris
KG
Ngidi
Imran

Markram & Steyn to come in on rotation.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think they going to start with.

Amla
QdK
Faf
Rassie
Miller
Duminy
Phehlukwayo
Morris
KG
Ngidi
Imran

Markram & Steyn to come in on rotation.
Yep probably. I would rather see Steyn if recovered than Morris. Think Markram should be playing. Millers poor form and general inconsistency is of serious concern.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yep probably. I would rather see Steyn if recovered than Morris. Think Markram should be playing. Millers poor form and general inconsistency is of serious concern.
If it wasn't a 9-game round-robin I would definitely be trying to push Steyn more.

I also think with the uncertainties with our batting we may find some answers before Steyn returns ideally.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Thinking about it more and more, I think that both Pretorius and Morris are extremely luck to be there. I think we have picked 2 players under the guise of balance when I would have much preferred a genuine bowling option. I also think in hindsight I would have taken Verreynne.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wonder how close Vernon was to a recall. He always seemed unsuited to the format and if the pitches are going to the flat he'll be even moreso given the small grounds, but he did have a period of being genuinely good in the format despite all that, and that period lasted for about 85% of his actual ODI career. I still wouldn't have picked him but I wonder if he was considered at all given the circumstances.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think Philander was given short consideration but ultimately seemed to be discarded early. I would have preferred him and Frylinck, for different reasons, to Morris and Pretorius. We have gone in with a strategy of bowling 4 top class bowlers rather than bits and pieces all-rounders, but then not picked backup for that strategy but a bunch of bits and pieces all-rounders that we would not actually want to see play. It is almost like they don't back the chosen strategy.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think (or is that hope?) Pretorius is only there as backup for Phehlukwayo. I do think Frylinck should have come under consideration as the backup allrounder, but the selectors clearly didn't agree. But without that backup allrounder in the squad then Duminy and/or Markram would need to be the fifth bowler, which is a scenario best avoided.

As for Morris being Nortje's replacement, nobody else that they tried for that extra seamer spot really put their hand up, so not wanting to pick someone from out of nowhere (e.g. Dupavillon) I think they picked the best batsman out of the other bowling options in an attempt to try to offset what's lost in terms of bowling quality.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think (or is that hope?) Pretorius is only there as backup for Phehlukwayo. I do think Frylinck should have come under consideration as the backup allrounder, but the selectors clearly didn't agree. But without that backup allrounder in the squad then Duminy and/or Markram would need to be the fifth bowler, which is a scenario best avoided.

As for Morris being Nortje's replacement, nobody else that they tried for that extra seamer spot really put their hand up, so not wanting to pick someone from out of nowhere (e.g. Dupavillon) I think they picked the best batsman out of the other bowling options in an attempt to try to offset what's lost in terms of bowling quality.
I understand why they did it, I just think they are scared to take any risks. My choice I would replace those two with Mulder and Dupavillon. If they wanted experience Frylinck would be better.

Essentially Nortje was a risk, which they took and I liked. They just did not follow through when chips where down and needed a replacement.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
No. He has been consistently good at the back end and with his change ups. And his end of the innings batting has been some of the best in the tournament.
His bowling looks frankly village level, absolutely nowhere near international calibre. He is just as slow if not even slower than Pretorius. Somewhat of a passenger in the field too. His lower order hitting I do rate though

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Frylinck is one of those guys who's basically just a complete hack, but has embraced his hackery and owned it to maximise his actual output as opposed to his predicted output by ****s like us. These cricketers trigger our disgust reaction when they don't come off, but I think they can end up under-rated at times even though I usually hate watching them.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
His bowling looks frankly village level, absolutely nowhere near international calibre. He is just as slow if not even slower than Pretorius. Somewhat of a passenger in the field too. His lower order hitting I do rate though
He bowls a heavy ball on occasion and has lots of guile. It is exactly what you say 'he looks' like something ordinary but is far better than that. In many ways it is the same category that Philander keeps falling under.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Frylinck is one of those guys who's basically just a complete hack, but has embraced his hackery and owned it to maximise his actual output as opposed to his predicted output by ****s like us. These cricketers trigger our disgust reaction when they don't come off, but I think they can end up under-rated at times even though I usually hate watching them.
Touch harsh even if I understand the sentiment..... he is no Behardien.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Essentially Nortje was a risk, which they took and I liked. They just did not follow through when chips where down and needed a replacement.
Was Nortje really that much of a risk? They tried a few different bowlers over the summer and he was definitely the best one, so it wasn't a case of picking someone with no international experience or who hadn't played at that level for some time, which Dupavillon and Philander would have been.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Was Nortje really that much of a risk? They tried a few different bowlers over the summer and he was definitely the best one, so it wasn't a case of picking someone with no international experience or who hadn't played at that level for some time, which Dupavillon and Philander would have been.
Nortje played 4 ODI's other than that they records are pretty comparative. And Dupavillon was the best bowler of both the domestic T20 and ODI cup. Philander would have been an all-rounder replacement rather than out and out pace.

Should mention, I would have liked more consideration for Maharaj as well.

Ultimately, when looking at the alternate options, what makes me feel it is poor selection, is that I would rather see just about all these other players in the team than either Morris or Pretorius.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Touch harsh even if I understand the sentiment..... he is no Behardien.
Haha I definitely think "complete hack" is a bigger tent than most people do, but it's probably because I think a player can be "a hack but in a good way", as Hurricane always used to tease me about on here.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
He bowls a heavy ball on occasion and has lots of guile. It is exactly what you say 'he looks' like something ordinary but is far better than that. In many ways it is the same category that Philander keeps falling under.
Have never seen anything of the sort. Always been mid 120s tops every single time I have watched him bowl