• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2016/17

burr

State Vice-Captain
Can anyone point me to some young and genuinely exciting talent to look out for this summer, a bit like my 1992 Channel 9 Cricket Yearbook raved about a certain R. Ponting?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anyone point me to some young and genuinely exciting talent to look out for this summer, a bit like my 1992 Channel 9 Cricket Yearbook raved about a certain R. Ponting?
As in newer faces?

Jake Weatherald
Sam Heazlett
Wes Agar
Jake Doran (He'll be better this time surely)
Sam Harper
Arjun Nair
Billy Stanlake
Matt Renshaw
Shaun Marsh

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No one has the wraps on them Ponting did, tbh. Bloke had future Test cricketer written all over him from his first knock for Tassie. Tough to beat that.

Midwinter

State Captain
Missing the cricket today.

It has been good being able to follow the one day comp everyday for the last couple of weeks

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
It's rather amusing that the Bulls have finished first, yet none of the players could really be seriously considered for ODI's outside of possibly Khawaja (played only 1 game in the tournament) and Lynn (missing completely, again).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I guess QLD didnt have players missing like NSW Vic and SA did.

WA disappointed, i had them for first but tbf i pictured SMarsh playing more and Paris too.

Did anyone read about SACA not reading the rules? Theyd be in the 2nd vs 3rd final if they had of beaten Tassie regardless of how many overs they got them in. I didnt hear a single mention of this number of wins and ties rule.

TheJediBrah

I guess QLD didnt have players missing like NSW Vic and SA did.

WA disappointed, i had them for first but tbf i pictured SMarsh playing more and Paris too.
IMO Victoria were stronger without their ODI players (except Finch). Boland is rubbish, Tremain was rightfully not picked, and Hastings was ok I guess, but Fawad Ahmed might have had more to offer than Stoinis/Christian already did with the ball.

Their side genuinely looked better earlier in the tournament

Did anyone read about SACA not reading the rules? Theyd be in the 2nd vs 3rd final if they had of beaten Tassie regardless of how many overs they got them in. I didnt hear a single mention of this number of wins and ties rule.
Yeah just saw that

Rules oversight hurts SA in Matador chase | cricket.com.au

pretty funny tbh. Pretty much everyone just assumed they needed a bonus point win, all the commentators included.

Considering they almost won with a bonus point in the end, one thinks they probably would have made it through ahead of the Vics if they used their whole 50 overs.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

IMO Victoria were stronger without their ODI players (except Finch). Boland is rubbish, Tremain was rightfully not picked, and Hastings was ok I guess, but Fawad Ahmed might have had more to offer than Stoinis/Christian already did with the ball.

Their side genuinely looked better earlier in the tournament
And now they've dropped Beer for Tremain

This side doesn't deserve to be in the final

Burgey

No one has the wraps on them Ponting did, tbh. Bloke had future Test cricketer written all over him from his first knock for Tassie. Tough to beat that.
Yeah I recall Ian Chappell saying when Ponting was 16 that he should be in the test side. Massive wraps on him ever since he went to the Tassie Under 16s carnival as a 13 year old and hit five tons in five days.

Which, to be fair, is absolutely ****ing outrageous for anyone to do.

TheJediBrah

Yeah I recall Ian Chappell saying when Ponting was 16 that he should be in the test side. Massive wraps on him ever since he went to the Tassie Under 16s carnival as a 13 year old and hit five tons in five days.

Which, to be fair, is absolutely ****ing outrageous for anyone to do.
that's absurd. When I was under-15s we had a guy score 4 tons in the carnival, but he was 15 and became the well known superstar Michael Hill. Everyone thought he was going to be really good, not a 15 averaging first-class batsman. I can't imagine what raps you'd have if a 13 year old did it.

Burgey

It's insane isn't it? Fair enough if you play a year or two up and gun in at local level, but to go 2 or 3 years up at reps at State level and be that consistent for the whole carnival is ridic.

Top_Cat

Bloke was good. I saw his first knock for Tassie and watching him pull Dennis Hickey for 4 like it was nothing at all was incredible, especially when, a few years later when I was 16, faced Hickey bowling half rat at training for Woodville and couldn't lay wood on him or, well, get anything anywhere near him. Yeah Hickey was a beast but obviously so was Ponting...

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Surely someone has gone up to Ian Chappell at some stage and casually brought up his pronunciation of "Aaron"

I just don't get it. It's not like it's a really rare name