• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Season 2016/17

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Chadd Sayers has won the Shield player of the year.

Sayers 16 points followed by Cartwright, Cowan and Tremain on 14 points. Bailey scored 13 points.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rightfully so. Sayers should really be in the selectors minds on the kinds of helpful decks that Cummins/Starc wouldn't get as much out of

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Sheffield Shield Spinners

Jon Holland M11 W50 @ 20.78
Will Somerville M7 W35 @ 23.14
Adam Zampa M8 W30 @ 38.30
Ashton Agar M4 W16 @ 27.81
Beau Webster M10 W14 @ 40.78
Travis Head M9 W12 @ 45.25
Steve O'Keefe M4 W11 @ 19.90
Mitch Swepson M4 W10 @ 43.00
Fawad Ahmed M4 W8 @ 24.00
Ashton Turner M9 W7 @ 39.42
Nathan Lyon M3 W7 @ 54.85
Marnus Labuschagne M10 W6 @ 50.00
(Matches, wickets, average)

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone

Dan Christian M10 W19 @ 22.31

TheJediBrah

ahem

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Wasn't there always an argument from Warne that bowling to Aussies on Aussie decks was harder than bowling to touring teams who were less familiar with them. Lyons bounce just is less effective to bats who know its coming and are used to it. That's simplistic but there's some truth to it. Sok gives you something different as a bowler. Would be interesting to see him get more home tests to see if he could repeat his FC numbers.

Burgey

Look how India sorted SOK out after the first test. He didn't bowl badly but his method won't consistently cut it against good international players. He's a good bowler, don't get me wrong, but there's now way he should be preferred over Lyon after the India series.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Look how India sorted SOK out after the first test. He didn't bowl badly but his method won't consistently cut it against good international players. He's a good bowler, don't get me wrong, but there's now way he should be preferred over Lyon after the India series.
I don't think that's entirely true - he took 3/76 off 42 overs in the Second Test, then bowled 77 overs in an innings in the Third where he easily outbowled Lyon. I would argue that it was only in the Fourth Test where he was a bit poor, and then he didn't get much of a chance to bowl at them in the second innings.

TheJediBrah

Even if that were true, which it's not entirely, the main appeal of SOK has been how suited he is to Australian conditions. Hence why he does so well in the Shield.

Burgey

I understand that, but he's doing it while the other bloke is taking poles at test level while bowling to better batsmen. SOK is a good bowler, but he shouldn't be picked ahead of Lyon here, or indeed after the India tour, anywhere. They went head-to-head across these past four tests, and they both bowled well, but Lyon was more consistently threatening across the whole series, even though they each had patches where they were played well. I thought going into the series that O'Keefe would have a much much better economy rate than Lyon and that the latter might take poles but would go for plenty at a fast rate. The fact he didn't was probably the thing which tipped it in his favour. Now the next tests are to be at home where the bounce helps Lyon makes me think he should get first crack at it. If they went the other way though, SOK wouldn't let anyone down.

Both good bowlers, but let's be honest, they're finger spinners so really they're just there to pass the time until the real bowlers get another crack. The fact that India's two best bowlers are finger spinners basically encapsulates why they are a blight on the game and why they have never been taken seriously when they've toured around the world at any time since the 1940s.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Lyon vs O'Keefe: head-to-head

First Test - 1st Innings - O'Keefe
First Test - 2nd Innings - O'Keefe
Second Test - 1st Innings - Lyon
Second Test - 2nd Innings - O'Keefe
Third Test - 1st Innings - O'Keefe
Third Test - 2nd Innings - nil
Fourth Test - 1st Innings - Lyon
Fourth Test - 2nd Innings - nil

I feel like people are only remembering the Third and Fourth Tests, and even then, quite selectively.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Buy me a steak dinner.

From International Cricket? Yep. Goose is cooked. He pizza'd when he should have french fry'd.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
SOK raised the expectation bar to high for himself after the first test it seems. Sure he didn't run through a team again (though two instances of that is exceptional for a series anyway) but he still picked up wickets and kept it tight thoroughly

the main disappointment about him has been his crappy batting. genuine number 7 for NSW yet belongs no higher than 10 in this team with the way he's going

Last edited:

Top_Cat

What potential? The guy has no fc tons in over a decade of cricket for NSW. His record is on par with Starc's.